U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Cincinnati, Louisville, or Lexington
Cincinnati 46 66.67%
Louisville 13 18.84%
Lexington 10 14.49%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-27-2008, 08:21 PM
 
455 posts, read 1,668,506 times
Reputation: 164

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy-Rise View Post
So ... Kentucky is the model for the U.S. now?
...for McCain/Palin voters apparently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-27-2008, 08:28 PM
 
2,204 posts, read 5,843,057 times
Reputation: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerDu View Post
...for McCain/Palin voters apparently.
lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2008, 09:59 PM
 
Location: Ohio
826 posts, read 1,442,734 times
Reputation: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy-Rise View Post
So ... Kentucky is the model for the U.S. now?
Kentucky will vote "McCain/Palin", Kentucky has clean, beautiful cities ( such as Lexington, Louisville), much much better economy, nice people, cities that are willing to get things done, THE prettiest rural areas in the US, low crime rates, Louisville was rated one of the top safest metro areas in the US!!!

Ohio will probably vote Obama, and Ohio has 11,000 jobs lost, it is the 2nd poorest, economically destroyed state in the US, we are an embarrasment, our cities are all dirty, decaying, crime ridden - everyone is moving from our cities, no one wants to live here, people are depressed, major businesses are leaving, all of our "C" cities are on the MOST DANGEROUS list. Even youngstown and dayton too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2008, 07:23 AM
 
455 posts, read 1,668,506 times
Reputation: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slash83 View Post
we are an embarrasment, our cities are all dirty, decaying, crime ridden - everyone is moving from our cities, no one wants to live here, people are depressed, major businesses are leaving, all of our "C" cities are on the MOST DANGEROUS list. Even youngstown and dayton too.
...thanks, in no small part, to the unskilled and highly uneducated masses that migrated north into Ohio from Kentucky over several decades of our manufacturing boom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2008, 11:23 AM
 
1,245 posts, read 3,345,412 times
Reputation: 547
[quote=Slash83;5885370]Kentucky will vote "McCain/Palin", Kentucky has clean, beautiful cities ( such as Lexington, Louisville), much much better economy, nice people, cities that are willing to get things done, THE prettiest rural areas in the US, low crime rates, Louisville was rated one of the top safest metro areas in the US!!! [quote]

Of course, we are saying this with a mouth full of teeth and knowledge in our brains, unlike our southern neighbors.

No, really though, Kentucky's backcountry citizens are also individuals that would probably create the same problems if they were confined in a city together. Go to Middletown or Hamilton sometime if you want to see this in action.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2008, 11:34 AM
 
1,245 posts, read 3,345,412 times
Reputation: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy-Rise View Post
Daytonnatian, you are one of the few people that I know that "hate" on Cincinnati just to hate that is from Dayton? Why is that? What happened to you as a result of the Cincinnati?

This is so strange to me. I'm being honest here. Usually everyone I met is the complete opposite. Keep in mind, I'm not talking about people that are suburbanites just because they think every city is "dangerous."


I've noticed this pattern from your past comments, I don't want you to think that is was from this thread.
No, I understand where you're coming from. The reason why I don't really like Cincinnati is because of my family. For years they have made fun of Dayton without solicitation, knocking EVERY bit of progress the city has ever experienced, while glorifying Cincinnati as god. We barely ever went to Cincinnati, but we went through Downtown Dayton on about a weekly basis to get to my grandmother's on the northern edge of Dayton suburbia. Even though I have not lived during Dayton's heyday, I still feel very connected to the city because it has put clothes on my back, food in my stomach, a roof over my head, and my butt in the air (along with foreign automakers ). Trotwood has been very supportive of my father's business, and Dayton is a great place to have a machine shop. Dayton needs to stay strong so the business will, and so our community will, as well, but my family and others I talk to cannot seem to understand this. I know that Dayton obtaining a connection to Cincinnati can only lead to good things, but I still cannot stand to say anything nice about the city. It's ingrained into my DNA. But still, I wish it the best of luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2008, 03:44 PM
 
2,204 posts, read 5,843,057 times
Reputation: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytonnatian View Post
No, I understand where you're coming from. The reason why I don't really like Cincinnati is because of my family. For years they have made fun of Dayton without solicitation, knocking EVERY bit of progress the city has ever experienced, while glorifying Cincinnati as god. We barely ever went to Cincinnati, but we went through Downtown Dayton on about a weekly basis to get to my grandmother's on the northern edge of Dayton suburbia. Even though I have not lived during Dayton's heyday, I still feel very connected to the city because it has put clothes on my back, food in my stomach, a roof over my head, and my butt in the air (along with foreign automakers ). Trotwood has been very supportive of my father's business, and Dayton is a great place to have a machine shop. Dayton needs to stay strong so the business will, and so our community will, as well, but my family and others I talk to cannot seem to understand this. I know that Dayton obtaining a connection to Cincinnati can only lead to good things, but I still cannot stand to say anything nice about the city. It's ingrained into my DNA. But still, I wish it the best of luck.
I understand, I don't but I do. When my parents divorced, my mother didn't want anything to do with Cincinnati (because of my dad). She's back now and she isn't even from here, she's from the south. lol


Anyway, you shouldn't dislike Cincy because of that. Obviously, you can do what you want, but you know what I'm saying. The healthier Dayton gets, the healthier Cincinnati gets and vise versa. It's almost like a new company calling DT Cincy home. Of course I don't get anything out of the deal, but I know that when the company moves DT, there's opportunity for new workers to call DT home, there'll be a new tax base that will go to Cincy, those workers will shop and dine in DT, whether it be their lunch break or happy hour, then demand will go up for DT housing, those businesses that these workers are eating at will prosper, etc, etc ... it's a chain reaction.

If our region prospers, it will attain more wealth. Many retailers look at a region's size and health index when it comes to creating chains (tax revenue). The federal government increases it's budget for those areas that need it. If half of our metro is doing well, but the other is in decline ... then that doesn't fair too well from a businesses real estate department. I don't want to see Dayton act poorly as a city for two reasons, we are connected and the other, I want to see Cincy become more of a draw and the more Dayton prospers, the more we will. We need to think regionally here. Whether, the two actually do or not, we still do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2008, 11:28 AM
 
1,245 posts, read 3,345,412 times
Reputation: 547
Quote:
I understand, I don't but I do. When my parents divorced, my mother didn't want anything to do with Cincinnati (because of my dad). She's back now and she isn't even from here, she's from the south. lol

Anyway, you shouldn't dislike Cincy because of that. Obviously, you can do what you want, but you know what I'm saying. The healthier Dayton gets, the healthier Cincinnati gets and vise versa. It's almost like a new company calling DT Cincy home. Of course I don't get anything out of the deal, but I know that when the company moves DT, there's opportunity for new workers to call DT home, there'll be a new tax base that will go to Cincy, those workers will shop and dine in DT, whether it be their lunch break or happy hour, then demand will go up for DT housing, those businesses that these workers are eating at will prosper, etc, etc ... it's a chain reaction.

If our region prospers, it will attain more wealth. Many retailers look at a region's size and health index when it comes to creating chains (tax revenue). The federal government increases it's budget for those areas that need it. If half of our metro is doing well, but the other is in decline ... then that doesn't fair too well from a businesses real estate department. I don't want to see Dayton act poorly as a city for two reasons, we are connected and the other, I want to see Cincy become more of a draw and the more Dayton prospers, the more we will. We need to think regionally here. Whether, the two actually do or not, we still do.
Exactly. Believe it or not, I only wish Cincinnati the best.

I am just afraid that it may be overshadowing Dayton, and I honestly believe that Dayton may be a stronger, but smaller city if it didn't have Cincinnati to the south. I am also afraid that Cincinnati may be serving many purposes for the metro region that Dayton would otherwise be serving such as containing many regional branches for corporations, a living place for our CEO's or having high-end department stores (although we do have Von Maur in the suburbs now). However, these drawbacks may be outweighed by the fact that together, the cities create a large, dynamic metro area that contains over 3 million people and has many offerings for all interests, from mountain biking and kayaking to major amusement parks and professional sports teams. I may be a little mean about Cincinnati though, and I have three reasons why:

1. It's ingrained into my DNA
2. Someone needs to knock it off of its high horse every once in a while (seriously though, have you looked at the southwest Ohio projects and construction page on Urban Ohio recently? You'll see what I mean)
3. I want to make sure that Dayton can still keep a strong identity while Cincinnati is lurking down south.

Again, I really only wish Cincy the best. My instincts tell me otherwise, but I know that in the end, a lot of Dayton's greatness (at one time, at least) comes from Cincinnati.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2008, 11:50 AM
 
Location: Pendleton County, KY
241 posts, read 1,176,235 times
Reputation: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerDu View Post
...thanks, in no small part, to the unskilled and highly uneducated masses that migrated north into Ohio from Kentucky over several decades of our manufacturing boom.
Let's not forget former Ohio residents like myself who headed south to get away from the overabundance of crass, pompous, pretentious yokels who inhabit the Buckey State (present company excluded, of course ).

With regard to the actual topic of this thread, I have to say that I like all three cities and think they're all underated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2008, 04:34 PM
 
2,204 posts, read 5,843,057 times
Reputation: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytonnatian View Post
Exactly. Believe it or not, I only wish Cincinnati the best.

I am just afraid that it may be overshadowing Dayton, and I honestly believe that Dayton may be a stronger, but smaller city if it didn't have Cincinnati to the south. I am also afraid that Cincinnati may be serving many purposes for the metro region that Dayton would otherwise be serving such as containing many regional branches for corporations, a living place for our CEO's or having high-end department stores (although we do have Von Maur in the suburbs now). However, these drawbacks may be outweighed by the fact that together, the cities create a large, dynamic metro area that contains over 3 million people and has many offerings for all interests, from mountain biking and kayaking to major amusement parks and professional sports teams. I may be a little mean about Cincinnati though, and I have three reasons why:

1. It's ingrained into my DNA
2. Someone needs to knock it off of its high horse every once in a while (seriously though, have you looked at the southwest Ohio projects and construction page on Urban Ohio recently? You'll see what I mean)
3. I want to make sure that Dayton can still keep a strong identity while Cincinnati is lurking down south.

Again, I really only wish Cincy the best. My instincts tell me otherwise, but I know that in the end, a lot of Dayton's greatness (at one time, at least) comes from Cincinnati.
Well, there's nothing you and I can do about it (hence the poll results at the top).

... Dayton has to come up with a plan.

Cincinnati needs to think more regionally.

If we can get some positive growth continuing and we already know, our metros are blurred and will continue to blur more ... we'll be in good shape. Building our metroplex!

If Cincinnati fails, Dayton will feel it ... If Dayton fails, we'll feel it. Regardless each city needs to do its own part. So, as a Dayton fan you don't want Cincy to struggle.

Also, you have to keep in mind there will always be that who's-who scenario ... Minne/St. Paul, Dallas/Ft. Worth, Chicago/Milwaukee, Sacramento/SanFran, LA/Anaheim, even Philly and NYC. Those cities are always overshadowed by their "big brother" per se, but they're doing just fine (except for Ft. Worth though ).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top