Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 01:40 PM

75 posts, read 120,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blockhead View Post
You know what is at "Where Paddock meets Vine at the Big Indian
Sign".[/font][/color]
It was a car dealership, no? Which one? I remember going to the VOgue theater near there, alot! Great Saturday matinees! 7 cartoons and a Tarzan movie.[/quote]

That would be “Klein on Vine by the big Indian sign.” I remember someone who bought a used Edsil there, his first car, hopefully not his last.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 06:15 AM

1,130 posts, read 2,542,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativkentuckian View Post
Does anyone remember Art Mehring the "Copter Cop"?....or him talking about flying over the Hopple St viaduct?......or the Gayety Burlesque?....or Ohio Tax Stamps?...or Around The World in 80 Days showing at the Albee Theatre for over two years?....or going over to buy cigarettes in Kentucky for less that $3.00 a carton?
My father talks about having ventured down to the Gayety in his younger days back in the late '60s. The OTR he describes from that period was much different from the one of more recent memory in the '80s and '90s when everything bottomed out entirely, and certainly nothing like today. He mentioned to me once that there were a number of saloons within a short distance of the Gayety. One in particular apparently was a house of ill-repute, but the trick (no pun intended) was to make it so that nothing was going on on the premises. Gentlemen would come in, select their pleasure, and they would leave the bar for one of several vans that would drive you around town while doing the deed!

Old 04-25-2012, 08:49 AM

1,072 posts, read 1,377,256 times
I also remember Art Mehring (wlwt), Will Warren (wkrc-Will with a way), Bob Shrieve (wcpo ?) and Peter Grant (wlwt), Stan Matlock (wkrc) great memories!!

Old 04-25-2012, 08:51 AM

1,072 posts, read 1,377,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blockhead View Post
Jake Sweeney!! That's the name I remember associated with the sign. Now the sign will be doubly antique, since Pontiac itself will soon be in the "dust bin of history"

I use to have a summer job washing cars at Jake Sweeney Pontiac at Galbreath and Vine in Hartwell

Old 04-25-2012, 09:43 AM

17,548 posts, read 13,329,500 times
Default Here's an oldie I forgot about

The Cockroach That Ate Cincinnati - YouTube

Old 04-25-2012, 10:19 AM

75 posts, read 120,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
LOL @ “I must proffer to you a confession: I like movies that give me a fright.”

Old 04-25-2012, 02:56 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,020,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t45209 View Post
My father talks about having ventured down to the Gayety in his younger days back in the late '60s. The OTR he describes from that period was much different from the one of more recent memory in the '80s and '90s when everything bottomed out entirely, and certainly nothing like today...
Believe it or not, the Gayety Burlesque was on Vine where the library is today. (my HS buddies and I were some of its younger "clientele" back in the very early 60's) On a completely different note, the Capitol Theater ("Cinerama") stood next door at 7th & Vine. Both theaters were demolished in 1970.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:47 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,542,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
Believe it or not, the Gayety Burlesque was on Vine where the library is today. (my HS buddies and I were some of its younger "clientele" back in the very early 60's) On a completely different note, the Capitol Theater ("Cinerama") stood next door at 7th & Vine. Both theaters were demolished in 1970.
That is true...it wasn't quite OTR, but I think the Old Man was referring to the area in general. Demographically, the north end of downtown and OTR was quite different than it was a few years later, although it was already economically depressed. Yet it seemed to have a vibrancy that had a certain appeal to some...not all. obviously,

Old 04-29-2012, 05:33 PM

205 posts, read 983,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
I was at the Gayety while in HS in the late 60's.

It was a wonderful mixture of nostalgia and sleaze. Especially notable was the Christmas Show which included the regular live performances but added a big screen presentation of what looked like some home movies from the '40's featuring families and Christmas trees and Lionel trains. Even to a High School kid it was kind of bizarre.

There was a big curtain in front of the stage which was pulled back when the likes of Ruby Rage, Sandy Sahara and the Lovely Miss Beverly made their appearance. It had the word Asbestos proudly written large on it and that made us feel good because we wouldn't have to worry about fires or anything like that. LOL

Old 04-29-2012, 05:45 PM

205 posts, read 983,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
I definitely remember Art Mehring and his Eye in the Sky broadcasts. As you say there is a Mehring Way street by the stadiums, which is a testament to how much he was liked in Cincinnati.

The RKO Albee was truely a unique theater. But the rest of the chain in Cincinnati was also memorable, specifically the Palace, the Grand, and the Paramount. Going downtown to the movies on a weekend date back then was truely a memorable experience.
It may have been mentioned but the Cox and the Shubert were located I think around the 800 block of Walnut. They had live stage shows through the '50's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati