Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 03:50 PM

9 posts, read 16,689 times

Advertisements

Hi.

While I am more familiar with downtown (Reds games and the like), I do not know the area around the University of Cincinnati, so I'd like your all's input.

I will most likely be attending UC for graduate school in the fall of this year, so I'm trying to figure out where I'd like to live...

My possibilities:

-Live near campus and walk to class.
-Live away from campus and drive to class.

Wants:
-Safety. Furnished apartment preferably. Affordability, but not efficiency. Not too far from driving distance to campus. Possibly one bedroom. Possibly near a shopping center for groceries. Good living environment.

If possible, I'd like some recommendations to look for apartments in the vicinity of campus, and a little further away, but not more than 15 minutes driving. Although I'm 21, it doesn't matter much if I'm living near other college students. I'll be there, hopefully, for a year and half.

Also, what's parking like on the campus?

I've heard and searched some regarding the area near campus, but I don't know whether the areas are exactly what I'm looking for. After living 4 years on/near campus at UK, I'm more willing to drive to class since most of the classes would be grouped together and not spread out.

Lastly, I don't know whether the area around Cincinnati has many "new" apartment complexes that aren't outrageously priced, but I like most newer types of apartment complexes (ie, not insanely luxurious, but not a studio).

Budget: up to $650....though I hope not that much. :P

Thanks in advance.

Also, any other tips or suggestions for living and school in Cincinnati are appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 07:37 PM

710 posts, read 3,049,653 times
Gaslight Clifton

Old 04-06-2009, 07:54 PM

Most of the places I've found in Gaslight Clifton are not furnished, though. I'd more prefer something with carpet, too.

Old 04-07-2009, 11:16 AM

1,410 posts, read 3,977,706 times
UC is a commuter campus. A majority of the students live off campus and drive to school. There is a reason for this. The area, Clifton, has a problem with crime. A lot of which is people praying on young students. Not saying Clifton is dangerous, but it isnt one of the best neighborhoods to be living in either. A lot of homes and apts near campus arent in the best shape either. Anyhow, my recommendation would be to rent off campus and drive. That expands your options on apts massively obviously. Any neighborhood along the highways would be perfect. The traffic around campus can be tough at times but not always. Parking is manageable too. I lived in Oakley/Hyde Park area when i went to UC and took Madison Road all the way to Clifton and it wasnt even that bad. Cheap apts to be had in the Norwood area for sure. As for Parking, there is a road called Riddle and then a could streets off of that, one is Riddle View and one is Marshall. Parking is here, on the street and i didnt get broke into there. If you get there early in the morning there are always spots. You can pay the parks dept to park in Burnett Woods but i did get broken into there twice. Its pretty cheap for a quater though (compared to garages).

G MAn

Old 04-07-2009, 01:45 PM

Hmm thanks for that response. I've recieved mixed reviews on living off campus and parking. Are those off-campus apartments that you mentioned the same kind of quality and type like in Clifton? I've looked at apartments (online) in Mount Lookout, Oakley and Hyde Park, and they still seem to resemble the areas right next to campus. I guess I'd wishfully want a place resembling the type of a nice condo. Also, furnished apartments would definitely be a plus.

Old 04-08-2009, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yatez112 View Post
Hmm thanks for that response. I've recieved mixed reviews on living off campus and parking. Are those off-campus apartments that you mentioned the same kind of quality and type like in Clifton? I've looked at apartments (online) in Mount Lookout, Oakley and Hyde Park, and they still seem to resemble the areas right next to campus. I guess I'd wishfully want a place resembling the type of a nice condo. Also, furnished apartments would definitely be a plus.
Well if you live off campus then the entire city is a possibility. So, yes, you will find nicer apts if you put your work in. Also, IMO, living in a neighborhood like Hyde Park, Oakley, or Norwood would be a lot nicer than Clifton. I'm sure you can find furnished apts too, just have to look. But yeah, once again, as someone who went to UC - living off campus and commuting is the way to go.

G MAn

Old 04-08-2009, 11:16 AM

74 posts, read 282,150 times
As a Clifton Heights resident, I'd really have to say the crime situation is completely overblown. Most who get robbed are drunk and out on the street at 3 am. It's all about being smart, but it is more dangerous than an Oakley or Hyde Park. Down where I live (by Emming) there are far more families and the street is quiet. However north of Warner is "I don't give a damn about my community so I'll trash it," college students. Loud, obnoxious, and dirty. Might not be for you, but I thought you should hear how it is from a current resident. P.S. I love it here.

Old 04-08-2009, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humlermw View Post
As a Clifton Heights resident, I'd really have to say the crime situation is completely overblown. Most who get robbed are drunk and out on the street at 3 am. It's all about being smart, but it is more dangerous than an Oakley or Hyde Park. Down where I live (by Emming) there are far more families and the street is quiet. However north of Warner is "I don't give a damn about my community so I'll trash it," college students. Loud, obnoxious, and dirty. Might not be for you, but I thought you should hear how it is from a current resident. P.S. I love it here.
I completely agree with this assessment. I dont mean to demean all of Clifton. its just for a college student, you are going to end up in the "i dont care trash" areas whether you like it or not because afterall you are in college. Thats why i did and i advocate living off campus and avoiding that crap.

G Man

Last edited by gman5431; 04-08-2009 at 11:20 AM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 04-08-2009, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman5431 View Post
Well if you live off campus then the entire city is a possibility. So, yes, you will find nicer apts if you put your work in. Also, IMO, living in a neighborhood like Hyde Park, Oakley, or Norwood would be a lot nicer than Clifton. I'm sure you can find furnished apts too, just have to look. But yeah, once again, as someone who went to UC - living off campus and commuting is the way to go.

G MAn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humlermw View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman5431 View Post
I completely agree with this assessment. I dont mean to demean all of Clifton. its just for a college student, you are going to end up in the "i dont care trash" areas whether you like it or not because afterall you are in college. Thats why i did and i advocate living off campus and avoiding that crap.

G Man
Thanks for the input. "Loud, obnoxious, and dirty" is what I'd want to stay away from...

Old 04-14-2009, 03:29 PM

19 posts, read 50,017 times
Something to keep in mind in lieu of driving to campus is that UC has a program with Metro. Students get a bus pass for anywhere on Metro's system for $10/ quarter (vs. $55 - $135/mo). This could help out too if you live farther from campus and don't want to pay the $200+ a quarter parking on campus. Finding off campus parking is HARD and you would have to get there between 7-730 to find a decent space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati