Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 02:58 PM

1,597 posts, read 2,146,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartwell Girl View Post
To answer your question, YES. Of all the townships mentioned by aquila in his post, you are using one problem neighborhood as an example.
Why are you so gung-ho about seeing the city even more fragmented? I don't understand how that would be beneficial to Cincinnati.

If, as you say, Hartwell has threatened to do this in the past, then what stopped it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 03:12 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,466,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquila View Post
Why are you so gung-ho about seeing the city even more fragmented? I don't understand how that would be beneficial to Cincinnati.

If, as you say, Hartwell has threatened to do this in the past, then what stopped it?
Reason prevailed.

Old 06-15-2009, 07:50 PM

2,204 posts, read 6,716,637 times
Quote:
This isnt just a group of people discussing it, it is the neighborhood council, the westwood civic association. No one should dismiss something that a neighborhood council is trying to do.
I'm saying it's not the entire neighborhood that is wanting to succeed.

Quote:

As far as not affording it, why not?
The neighborhood is already "struggling" enough as it is.

Quote:
Like I always tell my son "never say never"
Again, the city has to approve it as well ... it wont happen.

Old 06-15-2009, 10:56 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,827,228 times
It's too bad b/c they might've been able to make the Werk Mansion into the mayor's residence! LOL
Lincoln Hts is the way it is because that was the intent when it was built. Some of the Capes in the Shepherd Lane area and the houses in the section nearest Woodlawn (i.e. Prairie Ave) were well constructed. But a goodly amount of the dwellings were substandard from the beginning. And the government ripped off the residents of the Valley Homes apartment complex in the late '40s by making it a co-operative community but based on terms which were impossible to meet. It's a glaring legacy of deliberate segregation based on race. And it's slowly being remedied by way of new developments that have curb appeal to middle- to upper-middle-class AA households: the Beverly Court townhouse condos and the "Lindy's Repose" McMansion subdivision at the east end of Lindy St. Poverty and crime have always been comfortable bedfellows, but hopefully an increase in economic diversity will bring about a safer village. As long as the Princeton school district stays better than average (albeit second-tier) "the Heights" stands a fair chance of continuing its slow positive turnaround.

Old 06-16-2009, 06:36 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,134,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquila View Post

First question...I'm not. It's not about benefiting the City, it is about the communities within the City and how much longer some of them can continue to decline because many times the City has other priorities than addressing neighborhood issues.
Second, Hartwell has used it as a threat to try to get things accomplished but has not started anything in motion. Its always an option for for any neighborhood.

Old 06-16-2009, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Reason prevailed.
Dont assume anything about my neighborhood Wilson--you're wrong as usual.

Old 06-16-2009, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy-Rise View Post
I'm saying it's not the entire neighborhood that is wanting to succeed.
The neighborhood is already "struggling" enough as it is.

Again, the city has to approve it as well ... it wont happen.
The Westwood Council would obviously have to find out if the support was there before they would preceed.
As are many
The City is not always the say all-end all...there are ways to get it done.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:02 AM

2,204 posts, read 6,716,637 times
Quote:
The City is not always the say all-end all...there are ways to get it done.
I know about the "where there's a will - there's a way" quote, but it ain't happening without the city's blessing, that's just the law.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:01 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,466,893 times
Hartwell is a toilet. If they could be persuaded to exit the city, the average IQ and income in the city would [modestly increase] and the crime rate would drop. Other than that, I'm sure its a real nice place to dump a stolen car or some worn out tires.

Last edited by Wilson513; 06-16-2009 at 09:20 AM.. Reason: More accurately depict what would happen with the average IQ if Hartwell was no longer part of the City.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:08 AM

560 posts, read 2,076,081 times
Frankly, Cincinnati should at least consider giving its blessing to the succession of anything west of the RR yards.

It would be a short-term negative, as the city would lose some prestige and recognition with the population loss. However, it could be a long-term positive. Now that the government has reduced its blatant subsidy of urban core poverty, the ne'er-do-wells are gravitating toward the Westside neighborhoods. In fact, if the govt ever fixes (or eliminates) Section 8, the results for the Westside will probably be even worse! It could be a net tax gain for Cincy to lose these places.

All that being said ... yes, fragmentation in general is bad. A MUCH BETTER solution would be a consolidated Hamilton County. Additionally, I agree with the other comments that Westwood won't actually succeed. If Cincinnati loses money maintaining their roads, Westwood won't do much better. The massive road debt will scare them out of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati