Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 07:58 PM

489 posts, read 1,324,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
Just because you haven't heard of a place or know nothing about it, doesn't mean everybody else has. I like you, am interested in different regions, yet I probably couldn't tell you much about places like Jacksonville, Ft Lauderdale, St Petersburg, or Clearwater.
I couldn't tell you much about Jacksonville, Ft Lauderdale, St Petersburg, or Clearwater either. Another poster mentioned them, and I said that if he thinks those are considered well known, then there are other cities that are at least as well known as those, if not more. Well, actually I think Ft. Lauderdale and Jacksonville have good name recognition, but not the other two.

As to the NY and Pennsylvania cities mentioned, I am not the only poster who has said that most of those cities are not that well known. Sorry if you think that people all over the country really know about places like Binghamton, NY or Harrisburg, PA, but i just don't think that's the case. They might be well known in their region, but I doubt the average person in other parts of the country knows anything about these places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 08:02 PM

1,416 posts, read 3,210,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris000 View Post
I appreciate how much you've tried to stack the deck in favor of your home state , but if you think cities like St. Petersburg, Clearwater, and Pensacola are that well known, then surely there are some California cities that you didn't mention that are equally or more well known. To your list, I'd add Beverly Hills, Hollywood, Malibu, Venice Beach, Santa Monica, Berkeley, Lake Tahoe, Orange County (includes multiple cities, but still very well known). Overall I like your list, but I gotta show my home state some love and show you why it deserves to be ahead of Florida, not behind it (at least in my opinion).

I'd also add Austin and Corpus Christi to the Texas list.

Actually I did not stack. I'm using where people go in the winter,summer,spring,and fall. Oh wait thats ALL YEAR. Pensecola Panama city are famous for the srping and summer college festivities.

St.Petersburg and Clearwater not known? St. Pete is where the Rays play. St. pete times forum is actually the Name where the Tampa Bay lighting play. Hmmm St. Pete Beach and Clearwater beach some of the most beautiful WHITE SAND beaches in the entire county.

Yeah def not made up. Please take a look at the facts.

FLorida, California, Texas.

Old 06-17-2010, 10:36 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,655,649 times
Quote:
I couldn't tell you much about Jacksonville, Ft Lauderdale, St Petersburg, or Clearwater either. Another poster mentioned them, and I said that if he thinks those are considered well known, then there are other cities that are at least as well known as those, if not more. Well, actually I think Ft. Lauderdale and Jacksonville have good name recognition, but not the other two.

As to the NY and Pennsylvania cities mentioned, I am not the only poster who has said that most of those cities are not that well known. Sorry if you think that people all over the country really know about places like Binghamton, NY or Harrisburg, PA, but i just don't think that's the case. They might be well known in their region, but I doubt the average person in other parts of the country knows anything about these places.

And most people in the country don't know about most cities people are mentioning here that are in the west and south.

Old 06-17-2010, 10:45 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,810,922 times
1. Ca
2. Tx
3. Fl
4. Ny
5. Nc

Old 06-18-2010, 02:07 AM

2,957 posts, read 6,472,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
And most people in the country don't know about most cities people are mentioning here that are in the west and south.
WTF?? Please tell me you're not being serious here. Are you actually under the impression that more people are familiar with Binghampton, NY and Harrisburg, PA (both of which I've never even heard of before this thread) than MOST of the southern and western cities people have been mentioning here??? Seriously?????

Let's review for a second. "MOST" of the cities in those two regions that have been mentioned on here were:

CA: Los Angeles, San Diego, San Francisco, Oakland, San Jose, Sacramento, Long Beach, Beverly Hills, Lake Tahoe, Santa Barbara, Berkeley, Fresno, Riverside, and Palm Springs

NV: Reno, Tahoe, Las Vegas

TX: Houston, Dallas, Ft. Worth, Austin, San Antonio, El Paso, Corpus Christi

FL: Miami, Orlando, Jacksonville, Tampa, West Palm Beach, Key West, and Ft. Lauderdale

NC: Charlotte, Raleigh, Winston-Salem, Durham, Asheville, Chapel Hill

TN: Nashville, Memphis, Knoxville

I'm familiar with almost every single one of these, and I've at least heard of 2 out of the 3 that I'm not that familiar with which are Durham, Knoxville and Asheville (haven't heard of the last one). Harrisburg and Binghampton? Not so much. And Rochester and Syracuse I couldn't tell you anything about other than that they are in upstate NY and there's a pretty well-known school in Syracuse. Hershey I know of b/c I have a friend who grew up there and the candy is obviously well-known, but most folks don't think of Hershey, PA when they look at a Hershey's bar.

You're being way too NE-centric here and ignorant as to how much importance the rest of the country places on your region. These places you've listed are NOT well-known by MOST people, and "most" of the one's you've spoken against actually ARE better known than the NE cities you listed.

So far in this thread there's been posters from the Midwest, South and East familiar with the cities in the West, and there's been posters from the West, Midwest and the East familiar with the southern cities. I could quote them and prove that you are in the minority here, but I don't think that should be necessary. You really told it wrong with this one though.

Last edited by jman650; 06-18-2010 at 02:15 AM..

Old 06-18-2010, 02:12 AM

2,957 posts, read 6,472,270 times
Quote:
I cosign, and you are absolutely correct. You are definitely NOT the only poster who has said this.

Quote:
For New York, I'd say the most known areas to people from outside the region are NYC, Buffalo, Long Island, and the Hamptons.
I absolutely agree. I've heard of a couple other cities, but these are the ones that the average person outside of that region will likely be familiar with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
NYC, Pittsburgh and Philly. The rest no, most people in the country have not heard of.
Exactly.

Old 06-18-2010, 04:13 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,635,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
WTF?? Please tell me you're not being serious here. Are you actually under the impression that more people are familiar with Binghampton, NY and Harrisburg, PA (both of which I've never even heard of before this thread) than MOST of the southern and western cities people have been mentioning here??? Seriously?????

Let's review for a second. "MOST" of the cities in those two regions that have been mentioned on here were:

CA: Los Angeles, San Diego, San Francisco, Oakland, San Jose, Sacramento, Long Beach, Beverly Hills, Lake Tahoe, Santa Barbara, Berkeley, Fresno, Riverside, and Palm Springs

NV: Reno, Tahoe, Las Vegas

TX: Houston, Dallas, Ft. Worth, Austin, San Antonio, El Paso, Corpus Christi

FL: Miami, Orlando, Jacksonville, Tampa, West Palm Beach, Key West, and Ft. Lauderdale

NC: Charlotte, Raleigh, Winston-Salem, Durham, Asheville, Chapel Hill

TN: Nashville, Memphis, Knoxville

I'm familiar with almost every single one of these, and I've at least heard of 2 out of the 3 that I'm not that familiar with which are Durham, Knoxville and Asheville (haven't heard of the last one). Harrisburg and Binghampton? Not so much. And Rochester and Syracuse I couldn't tell you anything about other than that they are in upstate NY and there's a pretty well-known school in Syracuse. Hershey I know of b/c I have a friend who grew up there and the candy is obviously well-known, but most folks don't think of Hershey, PA when they look at a Hershey's bar.

You're being way too NE-centric here and ignorant as to how much importance the rest of the country places on your region. These places you've listed are NOT well-known by MOST people, and "most" of the one's you've spoken against actually ARE better known than the NE cities you listed.

So far in this thread there's been posters from the Midwest, South and East familiar with the cities in the West, and there's been posters from the West, Midwest and the East familiar with the southern cities. I could quote them and prove that you are in the minority here, but I don't think that should be necessary. You really told it wrong with this one though.
I wasn't even going to argue with her as it is usually just her opinions referred to as if they are fact so I put up a poll using the NY and PA cities.

As of this morning the poll had 297 views and the city that got the most votes was Buffalo with 40 people thinking it was well known nationally. The next highest got 25 votes.

My conclusion would be that none of the cities are known nationally.

By the way Binghampton got 2 votes.

Old 06-18-2010, 05:05 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,810,922 times
Here's a more "though out" list.

1. California has LA, SF, and SD... nuff said. San Jose is pretty damn big, but I honestly don't know a thing about the place other than its location and pop.

2. Texas has Houston, SA, and Dallas. Austin is getting more attention too. It may top CA now that I think of it, but due to population, I'll give the edge to CA.

3. Florida has Miami, Tampa, and Orlando.. Jacksonville is the largest city in the state, but for whatever reason barely anybody can tell you a damn thing about the place other than it's the largest city (by land) behind Anchorage.

4. Tennessee has Memphis, Nasville, and Knoxville, it actually has a nice line up of well known cities.

5. Ohio has Cleveland, Columbus, and Cincinnati. All of which are pretty well known, Columbus is doing well and is actually growing- Cinci doesn't get much hype, I don't know much about the city other than Roebling bridge.

Washington, Colorado, Arizona, New York, and Pennsylvania round off 6-10.

Old 06-18-2010, 05:08 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,635,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
Here's a more "though out" list.

1. California has LA, SF, and SD... nuff said. San Jose is pretty damn big, but I honestly don't know a thing about the place other than its location and pop.

2. Texas has Houston, SA, and Dallas. Austin is getting more attention too. It may top CA now that I think of it, but due to population, I'll give the edge to CA.

3. Florida has Miami, Tampa, and Orlando.. Jacksonville is the largest city in the state, but for whatever reason barely anybody can tell you a damn thing about the place other than it's the largest city (by land) behind Anchorage.

4. Tennessee has Memphis, Nasville, and Knoxville, it actually has a nice line up of well known cities.

5. Ohio has Cleveland, Columbus, and Cincinnati. All of which are pretty well known, Columbus is doing well and is actually growing- Cinci doesn't get much hype, I don't know much about the city other than Roebling bridge.

Washington, Colorado, Arizona, New York, and Pennsylvania round off 6-10.
For Florida I would say Key West and Ft.Lauderdale are better known than Tampa.

Old 06-18-2010, 05:24 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,714,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
I wasn't even going to argue with her as it is usually just her opinions referred to as if they are fact so I put up a poll using the NY and PA cities.

As of this morning the poll had 297 views and the city that got the most votes was Buffalo with 40 people thinking it was well known nationally. The next highest got 25 votes.

My conclusion would be that none of the cities are known nationally.

By the way Binghampton got 2 votes.
so because of a poll you put up for a short time asking what cities are WELL known, you come to the conclusion from a few votes that none of those cities are KNOWN? Next time try putting up a poll that is not misleading.... such as "have you heard of these cities, yes or no"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City