Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 05:25 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,810,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
For Florida I would say Key West and Ft.Lauderdale are better known than Tampa.
I'm more familiar with Tampa than both Ft. Lauderdale & Key West as an outsider. both Miami and Orlando are on the Atlantic Coast, while Tampa is the biggest attraction on the Gulf Coast. Key West has lost a significant amount of people, which is not something FL is used to seeing. (It still gets a lot of tourism, but such a decline in population isn't something Tampa is seing)

The Tampa bay Buccaneers and Rays alone give it more hype than Ft. Lauderdale.

I've spent a lot of time in a lot of Florida.. Tampa > Ft Lauderdale
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 06:44 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,634,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
so because of a poll you put up for a short time asking what cities are WELL known, you come to the conclusion from a few votes that none of those cities are KNOWN? Next time try putting up a poll that is not misleading.... such as "have you heard of these cities, yes or no"
Well a website called city data might attract a good percentage of people with more knowledge about cities than your average person so asking people here if they think those cities are well known nationally would be a better question than asking the people here if they have heard of them if your looking to find out if cities are well known nationally.

I am sorry the poll did not work out the way you wanted to.

Old 06-18-2010, 06:53 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,892,470 times
Quote:
Well a website called city data might attract a good percentage of people with more knowledge about cities than your average person so asking people here if they think those cities are well known nationally would be a better question than asking the people here if they have heard of them if your looking to find out if cities are well known nationally.

Actually Mike the rate with which people selected to the number of views is very consistent with other CD threads, so not sure your point. I agree these cities (sans Bufalo a mid major) are not major. I am also a little saddenned that people who like cities and many who like maps/geography do not know these cities. Ugh what is going on with our education system. One is a major city, two are capitals and a few others have had some pretty important history associated with them. The same holds true for many other small to mid-sized cities throughout the country...

Old 06-18-2010, 07:01 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,634,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Actually Mike the rate with which people selected to the number of views is very consistent with other CD threads, so not sure your point. I agree these cities (sans Bufalo a mid major) are not major. I am also a little saddenned that people who like cities and many who like maps/geography do not know these cities. Ugh what is going on with our education system. One is a major city, two are capitals and a few others have had some pretty important history associated with them. The same holds true for many other small to mid-sized cities throughout the country...
Well even if you just used Buffalo as your focus then it seems most feel all the others are not known nationwide, maybe Syracuse is borderline, which is what I was getting at.

Add to that the fact that, as you stated, maybe only Buffalo could be considered a major city then I get to my point that those cities should not be included as major cities that are known nationwide.

Old 06-18-2010, 07:08 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,713,676 times
Quote:

You can't just assume things. I've posted on this site for a while and have found that many many people on this site don't know more than your average person. I've found that many know much less.
You are using a poll, which asks a question (which of these cities are WELL KNOWN) to come to a conclusion that cities are just known at all. Those are completely different things and is very misleading.

Old 06-18-2010, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Well even if you just used Buffalo as your focus then it seems most feel all the others are not known nationwide, maybe Syracuse is borderline, which is what I was getting at.

Add to that the fact that, as you stated, maybe only Buffalo could be considered a major city then I get to my point that those cities should not be included as major cities that are known nationwide.

I agree, and also think clearwater or pennsicola or some of the others are not either.

Back to the topic of the main thread:

CA (LA, SF, SD)
FL (Mia, Orlando, Tampa)
TX (Hou, Dal, SA,)
OH (Cleveland, Cinci, Columbus)

and maybe TN are the only ones to me that really qualify with at least 3 well-known larger cities

If we go with tourist towns many states could make the list

Old 06-18-2010, 07:13 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,300,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
And beyond Charlotte or RDU (to most they think of it as one place) How are Asheville and Winston Salem that much more on a national scale, seriously, nothing against them

Based on your criteria I would say only 4 states qualify CA, TX, FL, and OH - Dont think NC really has 3 on that national level

I would also scratch Toledo and Dayton from OH but there would still be 3 left
The Triad area of North Carolina is definitely known. If you ever look at cigarette labels and you go to buy some "Winstons" or some "Salem", guess where they came from? You guessed it, here in "Winston-Salem" NC. Also in Winston is Wake Forrest University a nationally known school. And you know those Hanes commercials, that is also based in Winston.

Asheville is a known Appalachia town and home to the largest private home in America. But I'll give you Asheville.

While I personally don't care for it, Fayetteville should be mentioned for having one of the largest military bases in the nation in Fort Bragg, and in America we love our military.

I hope that clears that up for you. The Triad is definitely known. I find this odd coming from someone who mentioned Allentown but can't see the significance of Greensboro and Winston. But to each his/her own.

Old 06-18-2010, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
The Triad area of North Carolina is definitely known. If you ever look at cigarette labels and you go to buy some "Winstons" or some "Salem", guess where they came from? You guessed it, here in "Winston-Salem" NC. Also in Winston is Wake Forrest University a nationally known school. And you know those Hanes commercials, that is also based in Winston.

Asheville is a known Appalachia town and home to the largest private home in America. But I'll give you Asheville.

While I personally don't care for it, Fayetteville should be mentioned for having one of the largest military bases in the nation in Fort Bragg, and in America we love our military.

I hope that clears that up for you. The Triad is definitely known. I find this odd coming from someone who mentioned Allentown but can't see the significance of Greensboro and Winston. But to each his/her own.
Hi Adavi215, happy Friday and as usual we will agree on some things and agree to disagree on some others.

I agree it is on the same scale but also feel they are the next tier. i know them well but am a bit of geography buff so would say the same about just about every state. Also if you go by colleges then the list is huge. I think more people would South Bend than Winston-Salem and it is a lot smaller (just one example)

in NC the triangle and Charlotte would be most know just as in PA Philly and Pittsburgh

On Allentown from a historical Industrial perspective it was very prominant, a major steel center. Or a city like Reading (Reading Railroad) etc. they all have significance just not at the same level especially today as do the major metros. And honestly Winston-Salem is not a major metro nor is Allentown. Even RDU is marginal (The Lancaster PA MSA is larger population wise than the Durham MSA) but does probably have greater name recognition and much of this has been due to the great reasearch development in the area and great schools. As an aside I love Chapel Hill, one of my favorite towns in the US. And I also really like NC, in many ways is my favorite state in the South

Old 06-18-2010, 07:26 AM

27,555 posts, read 28,636,675 times
California, Texas and Florida are going to rank high because they are large states. However, I don't consider them to have the best lineup of cities in general.

Old 06-18-2010, 08:09 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,859,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post

Winston-Salem is an important city, but it's nowhere near as known as the largest cities in CA, TX, FL, etc. It's kind of like Bentonville, Arkansas--home to a pretty large and important company, but it's not exactly a city that's a household name. I just doesn't have the notoriety that comes from being a much larger city, even with the brands that it produces (and most people really have no clue what city those things come from).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City