Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 02:12 PM

644 posts, read 1,431,474 times

Advertisements

I have never heard this argument when I lived in Atlanta. But now that I live here in Charlotte I hear it all the time. Honestly there is NO COMPARISON!!! Atlanta is a top world performer with cities like Houston, Chicago, San Francisco, New York etc.

Here are actual statistics as of today (June 23, 2010)

Atlanta:

Population: 5.8 million (7th largest Metro)

Home to some of the best culture in the country Atlanta Symphony Orchestra, Atlanta Ballet, Atlanta Opera, Fox Theater, High Museum of Art to name a FEW

Over 37 million visitors annually. An array of attractions including Stone Mountain, World of Coca Cola, GA Aquarium (the largest in the WOLRD), Martin Luther King Jr. Center, including festivals EVERY WEEKEND from the end of April until early September

A presence in ALL FOUR MAJOR SPORTS..... Atlanta Hawks, Thrashers, Braves and Falcons....also WNBA THe Dream, Silverbacks (Mens Soccer) Beat (Womens Soccer) and other minor league teams.

One of 8 US cities considered a Beta World City...fourth for Fortune 500 Companies after NYC, Houston and Dallas. District headquarters for the Federal Reserve. Home of Biotechnology. CDC. Home to many WORLD HEADQUARTERS.

30 colleges/institutions Including heavyweights Georgia State, Georgia Tech, Emory, Morehouse, Spelman.

World's BUSIEST airport. Home of Delta and AirTran. A COMPLETED "beltway" with at least 4 lanes all around. Up to 8 lanes in more dense areas. (IE Perimeter area). 7th busiest transit system in America.

Multiple choices between select radio styles, a MAJOR newspaper w/ a Sunday circulation of just under 1,000,000. A MAJOR MUSIC INDUSTRY. Currently 6 of the top 10 songs in America have ATLANTA production ties. A BOOMING FILM INDUSTRY third after only the obvious first two.

Some of the best nightlife, shopping (lenox sq, phipps, atlantic station, northpoint, buckhead, midtown, little 5 etc) and restaurants in the country.

Now let's take a look at NC's Jewel CIty.....no not Raleigh, but Charlotte

Charlotte, NC:

Population: 2.3 million (23 largest metro and what Atlanta was at in 1980)

No cultural identity unless you like NASCAR.

No statistics for tourism b/c Charlotte isn't a known DESTINATION but a pass thru. No notable MAJOR TOURIST attractions except NASCAR Hall of Fame and Discovery Museum.

A local presence in ONE professional team Charlotte Bobcats and a REGIONAL presence in ONE professional team Carolina Panthers. Home to other minor leagues such as Rugby, Baseball, ICE HOCKEY, and Soccer.

9th busiest airport in the WORLD. Charlotte's beltway isn't completed and for 76% only has two lanes. LYNX light rail....couldn't even compare to the lightrail run by Atlanta's airport alone.

Economy is ONLY driven by Banking and NASCAR...no WORLD HEADQUARTERS for any international company. Major hub for trucking and freight.

Notable colleges include UNC-Charlotte, Johnson & Wales, Johnson C. Smith and Davidson College.

Very limited radio selections. Charlotte Observer is comparable to UNC-Charlottes newspaper. No major movie productions or music production companies.

Nightlife does exist but will get stale after a month. Nothing exciting or innovative about any of the venues. Except for Butter...but where is the variety. Not a party town (Ie can't party ever night if you'd like).

Atlanta is a major city and it is an insult to compare Charlotte to this great city. Atlanta is WAY more advanced and light years ahead of Charlotte. Charlotte is a great city don't get me wrong, but a MAJOR DESTINATION it is not. Charlotte is better compared to NC's other regions and Richmond, VA and Nashville, TN.

Charlotte does have a lot going for it but after a year of living here you would have done everything there is to do. Atlanta is ALWAYS emerging and has something different to do every weekend of the year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 02:20 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,319,274 times
Trust me, people from NC could care less about comparing Charlotte to ATL.
But I have no idea why some people do this.

Old 06-23-2010, 02:24 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,392,274 times
LOL

Did you seriously compare ATL to NYC and Chicago? Seriously?

I love Charlotte, and you nearly couldn't pay me enough to live in Atlanta. If you're unhappy here and would prefer to be back in "Hotlanta", I wish you luck on your relocation.

I think the city's official slogan should be changed to "Charlotte: It ain't for EVERYONE."

Old 06-23-2010, 02:24 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,519,093 times
Mullman is right. Atlanta is in Georgia and NC folks could care less (except for visiting ATL). We are interested in how our own cities in NC are developing (and the tax revenue they bring in). The only folks I have heard compare ATL to CLT are not native to NC.

People who move to Charlotte typically move here with a job (as it true all over the country). That doesn't mean they think this is the best place on the planet, lol. To natives, we stay here b/c our families are here and we have our own cultural and social ties to the region.

People make trips to other cities to enjoy the things those other cities have. ATL is a great place to visit, but given the choice b/n visiting ATL, CHI, NYC . . . ATL will be at the bottom of the list. The good thing is . . . ATL is an easy drive from CLT so . . . if one wants a quick weekend getaway in a city, it is easy to get to ATL.

Old 06-23-2010, 02:35 PM

554 posts, read 1,508,557 times
I agree with the others. Why would you go the trouble to show all this data. I don't hear many people currently comparing Charlotte to Atlanta unless they are talking about the predicted future size of Charlotte. Other than that, no one cares!

Oh and you can't compare Atlanta to NYC or Chicago, sorry. I find it pretty funny that you did since you so apparently are quite annoyed that Charlotte was being compared to Atlanta.

Old 06-23-2010, 02:35 PM

83 posts, read 445,418 times
I visited downtown Atlanta once for concert and I couldn't wait to leave. Atlanta reminds me a lot of Houston....horrid traffic and crowds. We couldn't cross the street downtown without a homeless person hassling us for money. One guy was very aggressive. In my opinion, a city reaches a certain point where the benefits of a huge population start to outweigh all the choices that come with it.

[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 06-23-2010, 02:42 PM

387 posts, read 616,597 times
You got it right when you said Charlotte does not have as many options. But in the last 3 years that I was over there I didnt really hear anyone compare it to Atlanta.

Your statistics hold answers to some of your questions - Population, the more no. of people you have the varied their needs are and thus options (read venues) come up to cater to different segments. Charlotte in my limited experience can be split into two segments, the natives and the transplants. Atlanta has more diversity and hence more needs and solutions that satisfy demand.

I doubt people in Charlotte aspire to make their City like Atlanta. For most part its a conservative place that believes in conservative development. So even if it evolves slower I guess it will evolve better than atlanta over a period of time.

Plus if Charlotte ever gets a huge as Atlanta, I hope the natives continue to drive the way they currently do. I was stunned to see the kind of driving in Atlanta given its 6 lanes. People over there drive with ants in their pants. No one wants to stick to a lane for more than a couple of minutes!!! and that while all lanes have heavy traffic. Impatience for no apparent reason.

Old 06-23-2010, 02:51 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,215,667 times
I've always wondered why people in Atlanta think that anyone in NC cares.

I admit that I am often slow, but this looks and smells like a big smelly troll topic.

Old 06-23-2010, 02:57 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,689,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenni179 View Post
I visited downtown Atlanta once for concert and I couldn't wait to leave. Atlanta reminds me a lot of Houston....horrid traffic and crowds. We couldn't cross the street downtown without a homeless person hassling us for money. One guy was very aggressive. In my opinion, a city reaches a certain point where the benefits of a huge population start to outweigh all the choices that come with it.

[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
I have to add this point regarding homeless harrassment in Charlotte. I am in Charlotte a few days a week (uptown/Tyron). I am harrassed by homeless people ALMOST EVERYDAY!!!!!. And here's what's annoying. They are very aggressive (More aggressive than when I am in NY or Atlanta - WTF??). Some look homeless; some don't. But for City Center to be so small and to have such a large problem is problematic - IMO. ALMOST EVERYDAY AFTER 6pm. The same thing. And sometimes in the morning.

Old 06-23-2010, 03:02 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,519,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdkb View Post
I have to add this point regarding homeless harrassment in Charlotte. I am in Charlotte a few days a week (uptown/Tyron). I am harrassed by homeless people ALMOST EVERYDAY!!!!!. And here's what's annoying. They are very aggressive (More aggressive than when I am in NY or Atlanta - WTF??). Some look homeless; some don't. But for City Center to be so small and to have such a large problem is problematic - IMO. ALMOST EVERYDAY AFTER 6pm. The same thing. And sometimes in the morning.
Why don't you call and report it to PD if it is that bad?

Charlotte has about 10,000 homeless folks and most hang out uptown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City