Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Major city do you think of when the South is mentioned
Dallas 24 11.37%
New Orleans 46 21.80%
Atlanta 134 63.51%
Houston 31 14.69%
Nashville 39 18.48%
Miami 16 7.58%
Charlotte 28 13.27%
Birmingham 61 28.91%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 06:22 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,401,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
The big 3 in the south...this term is widely used among black professionals, black media...These metro's are the anchor and major economic centers of the New South...Often Miami is excluded for some odd reason...

Which consist of Atlanta, Dallas, and Houston
I can agree with that to a certain extent, but I'm probably still riddled with images of boots and cowboy hats. That's what I saw a lot of when I visited Houston, and that's something I NEVER see in Atlanta or even Alabama/Mississippi. It's just a different vibe out there to me, but arguably Southern I suppose. I guess it depends on what you consider "Southern"; boots/cowboy hats = Western to me though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2010, 06:23 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,483,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL_Aficionado View Post
I guess it depends on what you consider "southern";
That's the magic phrase.

Old 07-07-2010, 06:31 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,839,439 times
Quote:
I can agree with that to a certain extent, but I'm probably still riddled with images of boots and cowboy hats. That's what I saw a lot of when I visited Houston, and that's something I NEVER see in Atlanta or even Alabama/Mississippi. It's just a different vibe out there to me, but arguably Southern I suppose. I guess it depends on what you consider "Southern"; boots/cowboy hats = Western to me though.
Thats the beauty of Texas man...ATL know a little something about them Cowboy's...Almost all my kinfolks in ATL are Cowboys fan...Im amazed that Atlanta sports talk radio would rather talk about the Cowboys than Falcons but I guess that's why they call them America's Team.

Dallas: Matt's Hometown

Old 07-07-2010, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Thats the beauty of Texas man...ATL know a little something about them Cowboy's...Almost all my kinfolks in ATL are Cowboys fan...Im amazed that Atlanta sports talk radio would rather talk about the Cowboys than Falcons but I guess that's why they call them America's Team.

Dallas: Matt's Hometown
LOL. Your family here sold us out for the Cowboys? How anti-ATL of them. I'm sure they conceal their Cowboy gear then pull it out during family reunions and such.

Old 07-07-2010, 06:42 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Polo, I do agree with you on many things regarding Texas in all threads but topographically is not the be all if a state is Southern or not. Topography takes a back seat to Culture in this sense and it isn't close. If you ever traveled in Western Mississippi along highway 61, you'd think you were somewhere in the lower Midwest or somewhere because that area is not heavily forested. But when you get to the people, they are all Southern.

Now..what I will agree with you about Austin and if it's Southern or not. To me, presently, it is not Southern. Historically, it was. Now, I will say IMO it is not and I'm basing that on the culture of today and going forward, not what happened historically. But that's another topic.

Old 07-07-2010, 06:42 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,935,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJohnWilson View Post
forest cover, while not much of a texan trait, is also not an exclusively southern trait either. also, youll notice that there are certain parts of the south (specifically along the MS river, that are not covered with forest very thickly at all. while the northeast is very forested. say hello to the mississippi delta

also, what texasreb said earlier was correct. kentucky, tennessee, western VA, and western NC tend to have similar trees to PA, OH, and IN because they are predominatly hardwood. where the deep south tends to be softwood. (although id argue that both of these areas look more like each other than texas). but the point is that tree type does vary over the south.
That't the main point. And those areas of the Miss Delta aren't a expansive as the Plains of Texas. I'm not necessarily arguing that Dallas ISN'T Southern, I just saying BECAUSE it IS part of the Plains AND the Southern US it looks different than that of the Southeast. And none of what you posted really resembles Austin either, Austin is the odd man out in this discussion, not only is it's topography, culture, tree cover, different, but even some of it's housing stock is different.

Old 07-07-2010, 06:44 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
LOL. Your family in Atlanta sold us out for the Cowboys? How anti-ATL of them. I'm sure they conceal their Cowboy gear then pull it out during family reunions and such.
Well the Cowboys are like the Yankees or Lakers. They have a large fanbase throughout the nation. Probably the largest in the NFL. I remember the last time Dallas played Atlanta and when Demarcus Ware caught that interception and returned it for a touchdown, the crowd erupted. The game was in the Georgia Dome.

Old 07-07-2010, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
I thought I was the only one who saw the resemblence. Especially in the suburbs.

Where does this look like it could be?
Google Maps
Google Maps
Google Maps
Oddly enough, it looks like Cali. I'm truly amazed. It looks like those Spanish-style houses and complexes in South Central. But my main point I want everyone to understand about Austin, I don't think it's "Southern" just because of it's different topography, culture, architecture, etc, but also because of it's position. It seems like every time someone says "I don't think of so and so Texas city as Southern" someone shows them a photo of some far flung place in East Texas, or they show 1 or 2 blocks of a city that looks COMPLETELY different outside of those 1 or 2 blocks.

Old 07-07-2010, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Houston don't even look Marshall bro...Weatherford doesn't even look like Fort Worth....Just agree to disagree...You will never get it bro....
I get it. YOU will never get it man.

Old 07-07-2010, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Well the Cowboys are like the Yankees or Lakers. They have a large fanbase throughout the nation. Probably the largest in the NFL. I remember the last time Dallas played Atlanta and when Demarcus Ware caught that interception and returned it for a touchdown, the crowd erupted. The game was in the Georgia Dome.
Yes, I remember that. Honestly, I believe a lot of us have undercover Cowboy fan tendencies. Those scantily clad cheerleaders probably have alot to do with it. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City