Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Major city do you think of when the South is mentioned
Dallas 24 11.37%
New Orleans 46 21.80%
Atlanta 134 63.51%
Houston 31 14.69%
Nashville 39 18.48%
Miami 16 7.58%
Charlotte 28 13.27%
Birmingham 61 28.91%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-06-2010, 05:15 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,836,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhettoKC View Post
If you include Dallas you'd have to include the the entire South West too. Dallas is on the same plain as Kansas.
If Dallas sits on a prairie...If Dallas was in its natural enviorment it would look similar to this....Praires are not exactly treeless or flat but what make DFW praires unique is the Cross timbers that lyes in the western half the metro area. Dallas has nothing incommoning with the great plains or southwest.

http://www.worldwildlife.org/wildworld/images/profiles/terrestrial/na/lg/na0814a_lg.jpg (broken link)

Terrestrial Ecoregions -- Texas blackland prairies (NA0814) (http://www.worldwildlife.org/wildworld/profiles/photos/na/na0814a.html - broken link)

Lewisville Lake Environmental Learning Area - Endangered Prairies

Texas Blackland Prairie on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/41207834@N08/4220950428/ - broken link)

Clymer Meadow, Texas on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/41207834@N08/4189731212/in/photostream/ - broken link)

Texas Bigfoot Research Conservancy
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 09:25 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,925,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Atlanta is the city that comes to mind when I think of the south. I also think of Birmingham, Charlotte, Nashville, Raliegh, Memphis, and Houston.

I never really think of DFW or Miami as Southern, so they dont really come to mind. DFW has always been more Western to me (especially with Fort Worth) and Miami has always been more Latin American than Southern to me.
You just started a firestorm. Alot of people are gonna pissed at you. lol

Old 07-06-2010, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteNCRepublican View Post
Dallas, Texas.
The 1st city you think of? I'd think Charlotte before Dallas.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL_Aficionado View Post
Correct. Miamians always tend to disassociate themselves with the South, but factor in those millions of hip-hop dollars into the equation and Miami is about as southern as a fish & grits platter when they need to be.

This is all true, but Atlanta still feels very much “southern†to me. I lived in Birmingham for 15 years before transferring to Atlanta, and there really isn’t as much of a difference between the two places as people would like to think there are. Atlanta just feels like a whole lot more of the same thing. Larger freeways, many more malls, more hustle and bustle downtown with a lot of northeast transplants. The people are still friendly in Atlanta just as they are in Birmingham.

Atlanta's newer residents are about the most non-southern thing about the city, trust me.
I always said the same thing. From a Hip-Hop BET standpoint, Miami is VERY Southern, outside of that most residents don't consider themselves as so. Funny isn't it?

Old 07-06-2010, 10:32 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,600,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
You just started a firestorm. Alot of people are gonna pissed at you. lol
LOL Ah, hell, Polo, that's all been kicked over so much by now I think everybody (at least those who regularly participate) knows where most everybody else stands. And not all that often are minds changed.

While DFW is not the first (cities) I think of when considering "classical Southern" images, they are no more "western" in the sense of fitting in as typical cities in the true West of the Rocky Mountains/Interior southwest, than Richmond is "eastern" as in being comfortably transposed into the "East" of New York or New England.

They are cities with Southern roots and original Southern culture which largely built up during the post-"Civil war" western frontier era (especially Ft. Worth) in a different physical environment that the cities of the southeast or Old South. They are "western South" and thus just don't have that "Gone With the Wind" aura advantage! LOL And of course, with all the northern transplants nowadays, not sure that would have helped much in any event!

Old 07-06-2010, 10:38 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,399,875 times
Quote:
I always said the same thing. From a Hip-Hop BET standpoint, Miami is VERY Southern, outside of that most residents don't consider themselves as so. Funny isn't it?
Yes. I think it's very funny. And for the record, I don't consider Miami part of the traditional south, but I also don't like the "southern for a day" or "southern for profit" ideology either.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:55 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,197,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
LOL Ah, hell, Polo, that's all been kicked over so much by now I think everybody (at least those who regularly participate) knows where most everybody else stands. And not all that often are minds changed.

While DFW is not the first (cities) I think of when considering "classical Southern" images, they are no more "western" in the sense of fitting in as typical cities in the true West of the Rocky Mountains/Interior southwest, than Richmond is "eastern" as in being comfortably transposed into the "East" of New York or New England.

They are cities with Southern roots and original Southern culture which largely built up during the post-"Civil war" western frontier era (especially Ft. Worth) in a different physical environment that the cities of the southeast or Old South. They are "western South" and thus just don't have that "Gone With the Wind" aura advantage! LOL And of course, with all the northern transplants nowadays, not sure that would have helped much in any event!
I agree with this.

If Dallas is western, than Atlanta is northern. I could understand Dallas possibly feeling or looking midwestern, but western??? No way.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:05 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,836,287 times
Quote:
The 1st city you think of? I'd think Charlotte before Dallas.
Polo89 "Why" are you jumping on the poster. She is entilted to his/her opinion.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:09 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,197,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Polo89 "Why" are you jumping on the poster. She is entilted to his/her opinion.
South Dallas is VERY southern lol

Old 07-06-2010, 11:13 PM

404 posts, read 595,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
If Dallas sits on a prairie...If Dallas was in its natural enviorment it would look similar to this....Praires are not exactly treeless or flat but what make DFW praires unique is the Cross timbers that lyes in the western half the metro area. Dallas has nothing incommoning with the great plains or southwest.

Terrestrial Ecoregions -- Texas blackland prairies (NA0814) (http://www.worldwildlife.org/wildworld/profiles/photos/na/na0814a.html - broken link)

Lewisville Lake Environmental Learning Area - Endangered Prairies

Texas Blackland Prairie on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/41207834@N08/4220950428/ - broken link)

Clymer Meadow, Texas on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/41207834@N08/4189731212/in/photostream/ - broken link)

Texas Bigfoot Research Conservancy
Interesting. I did not know that. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City