Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Major city do you think of when the South is mentioned
Dallas 24 11.37%
New Orleans 46 21.80%
Atlanta 134 63.51%
Houston 31 14.69%
Nashville 39 18.48%
Miami 16 7.58%
Charlotte 28 13.27%
Birmingham 61 28.91%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 11:28 PM

871 posts, read 2,248,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
While DFW is not the first (cities) I think of when considering "classical Southern" images, they are no more "western" in the sense of fitting in as typical cities in the true West of the Rocky Mountains/Interior southwest, than Richmond is "eastern" as in being comfortably transposed into the "East" of New York or New England.
honestly, i dont see how anyone can consider any "city" to be "classically southern" unless its about 30,000 people or less.

really the title of the thread doesnt make sense to me, who thinks of cities when thinking of the south? none of the cities on that list are what i would think of when thinking southern. and if people from other areas would actually visit these cities theyd probably find that none of them fit their stereotype of what the south actually is. whereas any rural area across the entire south would likely fit the bill

of the choices given
1 birmingham
2 nashville
3 atlanta
4 charlotte

the rest of them dont fit the bill of "classically southern", besides birmingham none of these really would. really, when thinking of the south who imagines neutral dialect and skyscrapers surrounded by suburbia?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 11:47 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,951,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
LOL Ah, hell, Polo, that's all been kicked over so much by now I think everybody (at least those who regularly participate) knows where most everybody else stands. And not all that often are minds changed.

While DFW is not the first (cities) I think of when considering "classical Southern" images, they are no more "western" in the sense of fitting in as typical cities in the true West of the Rocky Mountains/Interior southwest, than Richmond is "eastern" as in being comfortably transposed into the "East" of New York or New England.

They are cities with Southern roots and original Southern culture which largely built up during the post-"Civil war" western frontier era (especially Ft. Worth) in a different physical environment that the cities of the southeast or Old South. They are "western South" and thus just don't have that "Gone With the Wind" aura advantage! LOL And of course, with all the northern transplants nowadays, not sure that would have helped much in any event!
Texas is filled with more Western transplants than Northern transplants

Old 07-06-2010, 11:48 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,801,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
The irony is that most everybody will say ATLANTA and yet it's the most stereotypically NON-Southern city in the deep South. If I had a dollar for everytime I've heard the phrase, "Atlanta was not what I expected" ...

-- NO plantations
-- NO Spanish moss
-- NO hoop skirts
-- NO peach trees
Ok I know you are in Savannah and I agree Savannah is quintessentially the epitome of all thing Southern(and good Southern),but if we are talking major cities of the South then Atlanta absolutely should come to mind.
You forget the following:
Gone With the Wind(the bible to Southerns and guide to Southern history around the world) Especially with Rhett Butler and of Scarlett Ohara with her big "hoop skirts".

Then there was "Designing Women"Can't forget about that show.
2)Dont forget Tara and Twelve Oaks:
The real Twelve Oaks in Covington

No Spanish moss?yep
No Peachtree?Neither does Savannah or any other well know major/minor well known city for the most part.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:50 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,951,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Polo89 "Why" are you jumping on the poster. She is entilted to his/her opinion.
Whatever.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:52 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,843,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Ok I know you are in Savannah and I agree Savannah is quintessentially the epitome of all thing Southern(and good Southern),but if we are talking major cities of the South then Atlanta absolutely should come to mind.
Gone With the Wind(the bible to Southerns and guide to Southern history around the world) Especially with Rhett Butler and of Scarlett Ohara with her big "hoop skirts".

Then there was "Designing Women"Can't forget about that show.
2)Dont forget Tara and Twelve Oaks:
The real Twelve Oaks in Covington

No Spanish moss?yep
No Peachtree?Neither does Savannah or any other well know major city for the most part.
You ever been to Marshall, Texas

http://www.city-data.com/picfilesc/picc11843.php

Old 07-06-2010, 11:55 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,488,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Off topic: where is the dividing line between northern and western transplants fall? Mississippi?

Old 07-06-2010, 11:56 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,610,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJohnWilson View Post
honestly, i dont see how anyone can consider any "city" to be "classically southern" unless its about 30,000 people or less.
really the title of the thread doesnt make sense to me, who thinks of cities when thinking of the south? none of the cities on that list are what i would think of when thinking southern. and if people from other areas would actually visit these cities theyd probably find that none of them fit their stereotype of what the south actually is. whereas any rural area across the entire south would likely fit the bill

of the choices given
1 birmingham
2 nashville
3 atlanta
4 charlotte

the rest of them dont fit the bill of "classically southern", besides birmingham none of these really would. really, when thinking of the south who imagines neutral dialect and skyscrapers surrounded by suburbia?
As it is, I pretty much agree. In fact, I was thinking much the same thing when I first came across this thread. Which is one reason I haven't actually answered the poll question itself.

Last edited by TexasReb; 07-07-2010 at 12:07 AM..

5,092 posts, read 8,849,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
ummm, "the bible" to southerners would be the actual BIBLE. and let's not forget that the actual book GWTW is a much more historically accurate depiction of atlanta than the film is

9,067 posts, read 15,801,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
You ever been to Marshall, Texas

http://www.city-data.com/picfilesc/picc11843.php
Nope .I know Wiley College is there.An HBCU.But have never been.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:58 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,610,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I know that is very true of Austin, but always thought most of the DFW transplants were from the northern states (mostly Midwest).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City