Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is #1?
Philadelphia 146 58.17%
Pittsburgh 105 41.83%
Voters: 251. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 06:30 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
OK - this list proves my point of someone who's never been to Pittsburgh

1 - Very subjective to you opinion....I think I've proved just that! just like I can argue Pittsburgh is more vibrant - with its bustling neighborhood....extremely low crime rate....more walkable neighborhoods than Philly...higher degree obtained population.....less blighted neighborhoods....and less corrupt city government...

2 - Yes Philly has the more resturants than Pittsburgh because its bigger population...but the question WHAT TYPE OF FOOD CAN I GET IN PHILLY THAT I COULDN'T GET IN THE BURGH....The answer is NOTHING!...Unless you want to count Scrapple and Cheesestakes (Not something I'll lose sleep over!)

3 - Are you serious with this one??????

Art All Night: Lawrenceville

Pittsburgh's Cultural District - Your Show Place!

Tour Pittsburgh Art Galleries, Museums, Art Studios: Pittsburgh Neighborhoods (http://www.pittsburghneighborhoodtours.com/pr13/tours/tourDetail.asp?nTour=3 - broken link)

http://www.pennavenuearts.org

Carnegie Museums of Pittsburgh | Home

Warhol

Children's Museum of Pittsburgh

The Mattress Factory Art Museum

Carnegie Science Center

Heinz History Center

Carnegie Museum of Art

Splash

Welcome to the ToonSeum!

Frick Art & Historical Center | Welcome

Concept Art Gallery (http://www.conceptgallery.com/new/contact.html - broken link)

http://www.pittsburghclo.org/academy/gen_info.cfm

Pittsburgh Center for the Arts / School / Instructors (http://www.pittsburgharts.org/school_instructors.php - broken link)

Design School: The Art Institute of Pittsburgh

(oh Pittsburgh is the World Headquarters for the AI)

The Benedum Center for the Performing Arts

Pittsburgh Playhouse: Home Page

The leading ballet in the United States | Pittsburgh Ballet Theatre

Welcome to the Pittsburgh Symphony

Pittsburgh Youth Pops Orchestra

morgan contemporary glass gallery - Contemporary Studio Glass - Sculpture - Goblets - Jewelry

Welcome to*the official website of Michael Berger Gallery

Pittsburgh Glass Center

Lawrenceville Galleries in Pittsburgh PA, A Lawrenceville Art Gallery Guide (http://www.pittsburghgalleries.com/lawrencevillegalleries.htm - broken link)

S P A C E

Wood Street Galleries

4. Kensington is not a neighborhood i think Pittsburgh is desparate for...I think I'd much prefer the way Pittsburgh does it..with young professional minorities all living and thriving in communites such as Oakland, Sq Hill, Polish Hill, Shadyside, GreenTree, etc so while small i much have this emerging diversity as opposed to insular spanish getto's....

5 - UMM ever heard of CMU, Pitt, Duquense, Robert Morris, Point Park, Chattam, Carlow???....And Oakland has twice as many students as University City...its the 3rd largest Central Business District in PA..Only behind Center City and Downtwon Pitt...So that like Pittsburgh having two downtowns....

6 - OK Pittsburgh has plenty of history but I will give you that...Philadelphia was the berth of country.

7 - Lets see - Cultural District in downtown, South side, Shadyside, Lawrenceville, East Liberty, Friendship/Bloomfield, Oakland, Squirrel Hill, The Strip, Station Square, Mt Washington, The North Shore, Homestead Waterfront all bustles with Sophiticated Nightlife. from Nightclubs, Afterhours joints, Fine dinning, Lounges, Live Music, from families, to LGBT, to hipsters scenes....and the Strip has a pretty good underground scene...and I'm sorry South Street is no match for Carson.

8 - I will give you that SEPTA is more robust than PAT...But both are far behind in Mass Transit Times...Both have antiquated Fare Systems, both are struggling for more state aid, both are Raising Fares, and BOTH HAVE STUPID A** ZONE SYSTEMS..

9 - Yea right....Pittsburgh is as green as they come...Three huge parks within the city limits Schenely, Frick, and Highland...Notice where Pittsburgh and Philly falls in this "Green" cities List....

Now where Pittsburgh excels above Philadelphia

1 - Lower Crime - makes for even better Vibrancy if you ask me...I dont care how many resturants, art shows etc etc etc, if I can't walk down the street without worrying about getting shot at, mugged or Raped....That's not Vibrant....
(....http://www.city-data.com/forum/phila...ia-county.html.....Right from the Philly forums)

2 - Technology Center

3 - Very Lush and Green as pointed out above. one of the leading cities for LEED based buildings

4 - Better Public Schools

5 - higher pecentage of young population with Degrees

(courtousy of Gnutella - http://www.city-data.com/forum/13762366-post3.html).

6 - a True city built on its Neighborhoods.

7 - more outdoors-ie and more phyically fit city...the trails, the rivers, the parks, the hills...its like the city is one big free gym...

8 - Better Unemployment rates

9 - Comcast isn't the 800-pound gorilla as far as jobs in the city.

OK Dude you win, you continue to contradict yourself and make accusations about me that untrue enjoy. I honestly dont give a flying biscuit how you feel

Yins for the win

Old 07-10-2010, 06:38 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,892,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
I guess the fact that Philadelphia has 3X the urbanized area of population of Pittsburgh means nothing either. Actually, Pittsburgh's entire urbanized area only has a somewhat larger population than the city of Philadelphia proper, while covering a much larger area than the city of Philadelphia. Besides, if you increased Pittsburgh's land size, that would mean you'd almost have to take in some sad, old steel towns along the rivers (particularly the Monongahela) that have seen much better days.
All you stating is what we already KNOW! Philadelphia is larger yes...but we already established BIGGER DOES NOT MEAN BETTER!!!!

NYC is bigger than Philly - does that make it better NO!

What makes NYC more Vibrant and Better than Philly is

- LOWER CRIME
- More Diverse Safe Neighborhoods...Queens is the most truely diverse county in the USA...
- Ton more industries in NYC
- Philly shuts down at 2am NYC does not
- a True restaurant scene meaning type of restaurants that you cannot get in Philly
- Much more Robust Transit (Clearly anyone can see)
- Much faster pace of life

Anyone can sit and say well NYC has more...Ofcourse its bigger...that doesnt make Philly a sloutch its has just as much for a city of its size...Like the burgh vs Philly so what if philly has 10 Applebees more than Pittsburgh the point is Pittsburgh has Applebees too that all that matters...just using Applesbee to make my point..i really hate the place.

Again say it with me "THERE'S NOTHING PHILLY OFFERS THAT I CAN'T GET IN PITTSBUGH"....Except Closer to the beach....now that is a legitimate notch in Philly's belt....Also I give SEPTA the nod because it has the train infrastructure that PAT doest.

Old 07-10-2010, 06:45 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,944,113 times
Quote:
Again say it with me "THERE'S NOTHING PHILLY OFFERS THAT I CAN'T GET IN PITTSBUGH"....Except
... the NBA???

Old 07-10-2010, 06:52 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,827,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlflausa View Post
... The nba???
True

Old 07-10-2010, 07:00 PM

Oh Yes I long for the Sixers!!! :Sarcasim: - I guess if I was a hoops kinds girl....

But that is a ligitmate offering....I will conceed

So we have

The Beach
SEPTA
NBA

Anyone think of anything else????

Old 07-10-2010, 07:03 PM

126 posts, read 304,354 times
Quote:
Oh Yes I long for the Sixers!!! :Sarcasim: - I guess if I was a hoops kinds girl....

So we have

The Beach
SEPTA
NBA

cheesesteaks

Old 07-10-2010, 07:06 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Please allow a neutral party to weigh in. I've only been to Philly and didn't get much time to look around, I was not very impressed but again I was only there on my way to NYC. I've researched both cities a lot.

Philly is Philly and that cannot be stated enough. A former National Capital, birthplace of our Constitution, and so much more including the Rocky steps.

Pittsburgh however is a place I've been feeling very drawn to. I cannot get enough of the pictures BlackBeautee has posted, they are beautiful. Pitts. Pa looks to be a great, vibrant city with a stunning setting. Besides the NBA, which is vital to life for me, I cannot think of anything I'd be missing to live in Pittsburgh over Philly. Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to vote on which ones better, I've never truly experienced either. However, nobody has proven to me why a possible move to PA should go one way or the other.
We have almost the exact same viewpoint.

The only difference is, I really liked my visit to Philadelphia. One thing for a fact is that certainly people overplay the crime there, I have felt more safe there than in San Francisco. I've even been robbed in Downtown San Francisco before.

But oh well.

I agree with nearly everything you did. I got to have the NBA (my favorite of all professional sports). I mean it would do superman (Dwight Howard injustice! if there was no NBA team). But it's okay, more of a reason to follow my home favorite teams (LAKERS!).

I hope one day Pittsburgh gets a team, it deserves one, and so does Seattle.
And I agree, those pictures of Pittsburgh look amazing. I don't think I've seen a prettier Northeastern city. It's got my kind of architecture too.

Seeing by your taste in cities, I know you'll like this view of Pittsburgh;
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._city_pano.jpg

Absolutely beautiful to say the least. But I've also seen Rainrock's Philadelphia pictures and I have a few of my own from when I was there. It's no slouch, but I like Pittsburgh's setting + architecture more.

Old 07-10-2010, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgsh View Post
cheesesteaks
Actually there is a place on Carson that does pretty good cheesestakes because the owner is from Philly....

So if I'm dying for a cheesesteak, I can get one in the Burgh will just need to hike over to the Southside to get it.

Now here in NYC i can't get a Philly cheesesteak ANYWHERE!!! UGH!

Old 07-10-2010, 07:09 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,944,113 times
Quote:

So we have

The Beach
SEPTA
NBA

The Rocky Stairs, a tv show about your Parking Enforcment Officers, and other subjective things. See you are actually right, Pitsburgh offers very much of the same with it's own twist, I think you should be proud of your city. I can't wait to visit!!

Old 07-10-2010, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
We have almost the exact same viewpoint.

The only difference is, I really liked my visit to Philadelphia. One thing for a fact is that certainly people overplay the crime there, I have felt more safe there than in San Francisco. I've even been robbed in Downtown San Francisco before.

Hey it's not just me...Look at the Philly Forums...ok its own residents are complaining about the crime, and that its starting to drag into Center City....I didnt make that claim...I holey thought Center City was still mostly safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City