Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which building do you prefer?
Trans National Place (Boston) 11 34.38%
American Commerce Center (Philadelphia) 21 65.63%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 12:12 PM

7,271 posts, read 10,603,469 times

Advertisements

Here are some better/updated renderings for the ACC:

http://phillyskyline.com/acc5.htm

Especially in the current economic climate of fairly high office space vacancy, there is very little chance of either of these projects being built very soon. I know Philadelphia has already approved the ACC, and the developer claims to have funding lined up -- but it is a matter of finding a major tenant. Clearly, that is no easy feat. Nevertheless, as the economy slowly rebounds and office vacancy dips to much healthier levels in CBDs across the country, I can see this project becoming a reality within the next 5 years.

Last edited by Duderino; 07-11-2010 at 12:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 12:00 AM

3,260 posts, read 8,765,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Here are some better/updated renderings for the ACC:

phillyskyline.com | AMERICAN COMMERCE CENTER

Especially in the current economic climate of fairly high office space vacancy, there is very little chance of either of these projects being built very soon. I know Philadelphia has already approved the ACC, and the developer claims to have funding lined up -- but it is a matter of finding a major tenant. Clearly, that is no easy feat. Nevertheless, as the economy slowly rebounds and office vacancy dips to much healthier levels in CBDs across the country, I can see this project becoming a reality within the next 5 years.
Nice Pictures.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:14 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,464,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
Does it have a name? Who's the architect?

This would PROPEL puritan Boston past every American city. Put it in the same category as a London.
The architect is Cook + Fox...however there is fierce resistance against this project (obviously...everything involved with development in Boston faces absurd amounts of resistance)

Oh and if those two towers were built, Boston would be looking at cities like New York and London in their rear view mirror. Everyone would just be trying to keep up with Boston.

Officially, Transnational Place is dead. They're hoping someday it will be revived, but it will never break the 1,000 ft mark due to FAA restrictions.

Old 10-18-2010, 05:27 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,055,953 times
News:
Quote:
Philly tower developer's new fund

Posted by Joseph N. DiStefano
Thursday, October 14, 2010

The people behind the American Commerce Center, the proposed 1,500-foot tower for the site west of Comcast Corp.'s not-quite-1,000-foot Center City headquarters, say they're raising a $100 million-plus development fund to buy more property at today's bargain prices.

"We're three to six months from our first closing," said David Richter, partner with Garrett Miller in Hill Opportunity Real Estate Fund, and boss with his father, Irving Richter, at Hill International Corp., the Marlton-based project management firm that employs 2,600 in Europe, the Americas and the Middle East.

While raising funds from rich people, they're hanging onto the high-rise site, currently a parking lot, co-owned with the Multi Employer Property Trust of Bethesda, Md., that more than pays for itself from parking fees, according to Richter. They've turned down an offer, he says, from Liberty Property Trust, which built the Comcast building: "It was so low as to be laughable."

So the tower's not dead? "It's still in the works, and it'll be in the works until we find an anchor tenant," Miller affirmed.

"For the time being, we're in the parking business," added Richter.
PhillyDeals

At least this is going somewhere, the Chicago Spire is officially canceled, Kheller just got sued for $75 Million, and he was already Borderline bankrupt, thus meaning no more Chicago Spire. Oh well.

Old 10-19-2010, 12:35 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,756,315 times
I hope the American Commerce Center gets built, and that they place a miniature statue of William Penn on top of the antenna.

Old 10-19-2010, 01:56 PM

10,754 posts, read 23,832,257 times
BUILD IT!

I'm voting Boston on this one, biasedly. Only because I would LOVE to see something that drastic change the dynamic of our otherwise boring and uniform skyline. IMO Philadelphia's skyline is already much prettier than Boston. But admittedly the AMC in Philly is much more contemporary in cool in design and architecture.

Old 10-19-2010, 02:43 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,095,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
The architect is Cook + Fox...however there is fierce resistance against this project (obviously...everything involved with development in Boston faces absurd amounts of resistance)

Oh and if those two towers were built, Boston would be looking at cities like New York and London in their rear view mirror. Everyone would just be trying to keep up with Boston.
Re your first point, Boston is unfortunately not the only city where this happens. In Philadelphia, the neighbors will complain about blocked views, traffic, etc. in their attempts to stop a project. Even in NYC this happens. I believe that a few years ago, Donald Trump was trying to build another Trump Tower in New York, and his response to neighbors who were complaining about blocked views was "you should have bought a better condo."

Re your second point, . How will Boston leave New York "in their rear view mirror?" I'm not being belligerent, I just don't see how one or 2 new projects would propel Boston to a status that is beyond (or anywhere near, for that matter) NYC.

Old 10-19-2010, 02:55 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,892,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
Re your first point, Boston is unfortunately not the only city where this happens. In Philadelphia, the neighbors will complain about blocked views, traffic, etc. in their attempts to stop a project. Even in NYC this happens. I believe that a few years ago, Donald Trump was trying to build another Trump Tower in New York, and his response to neighbors who were complaining about blocked views was "you should have bought a better condo."

Re your second point, . How will Boston leave New York "in their rear view mirror?" I'm not being belligerent, I just don't see how one or 2 new projects would propel Boston to a status that is beyond (or anywhere near, for that matter) NYC.
Although I like the design of the garage project, I think it looks really wrong in Boston. I too do not see it leaving NYC behind. Really, what the project does is make everything else in Boston look rinky-dink. The scale, the massing, and yes, maybe even the design itself, is wrong. It miniaturizes the rest of the city. And I am not opposed to height, far from it. But I want height that sores from within the existing skyline, not height that renders the existing skyline a joke. Maybe I'm one of NIMBYs on this one
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City