Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city do you think of when you think of Midwest
Indianapolis, IN 6 7.79%
Cleveland, OH 6 7.79%
Kansas City, MO 8 10.39%
Detroit, MI 6 7.79%
Minneapolis, MN 4 5.19%
St. Paul, MN 2 2.60%
St. Louis, MO 10 12.99%
Chicago, IL 35 45.45%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 10:26 AM

1,080 posts, read 2,268,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Chicago, Minneapolis, St. Paul, Detroit, and Cleveland, are Great Lakes States, not midwest states..
Dude, this is a first. We've argued about the boundries of the Midwest a hundred times on here but this is the first time I've heard someone claim that Illinois, Minnesota, Michigan, and Ohio weren't in the Midwest; I thought we could all atleast agree on that. BTW, the Twin Cities are three hours from a Great Lake - I don't see how you're grouping us in with the other three.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 10:33 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,517,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN55 View Post
Dude, this is a first. We've argued about the boundries of the Midwest a hundred times on here but this is the first time I've heard someone claim that Illinois, Minnesota, Michigan, and Ohio weren't in the Midwest; I thought we could all atleast agree on that. BTW, the Twin Cities are three hours from a Great Lake - I don't see how you're grouping us in with the other three.
I was shocked on that as well since that is the core of the region. It would be similar to saying that Alabama and Mississippi aren't in the South. My guess is that the person equates the Midwest with the Great Plains.

Old 07-12-2010, 10:49 AM

2,943 posts, read 5,073,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN55 View Post
IDK, I sort of agree with him. "Midwest" usually carries a negative connotation with it, like we're all a bunch of socially conservative, rural, backwards thinking rednecks. That's only true of the Great Plains region, but not in the Great Lakes region.

The Twin Cities are not physically located on the Great Lakes, but they share a similar culture to cities like Milwaukee and Chicago, much more so than Omaha or Kansas City. So I can see why people would group you guys together with us.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:47 AM

3,491 posts, read 6,973,115 times
Chicago

Old 07-12-2010, 12:59 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,913,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.D. Calif View Post
Chicago, Minneapolis, St. Paul, Detroit, and Cleveland, are Great Lakes States, not midwest states..
Please quit while you're already behind...ridiculous......

Old 07-12-2010, 01:11 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,411,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
The states of Oklahoma, Kansas, Missouri, Illinois and Indiana as they are l farm and rancg states,too.

I tend to think of the Midwest. I tend to think of Tulsa, OK, Pittsburg, KS, Troy, MO, Iowa City, IA, Peoria, IL., Gary, IN, Niles, MI, Door County, WI (thumb), and places like it rather than the power houwe cities . .
Most people don't think of Niles, MI at all. I used to live there. I'm shocked you've heard of it.

Old 07-12-2010, 01:27 PM

1,654 posts, read 5,854,755 times
Wait are we talking culturally or geographically here? Because yes geographically Chicago lies on a lake and Kansas City does not, but they are Midwestern in a cultural and historical sense. If we follow along the premice of geography, then Toronto would have more to do with Milwaukee than Minneapolis does..

Old 07-12-2010, 01:38 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,073,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThroatGuzzler View Post
Wait are we talking culturally or geographically here? Because yes geographically Chicago lies on a lake and Kansas City does not, but they are Midwestern in a cultural and historical sense. If we follow along the premice of geography, then Toronto would have more to do with Milwaukee than Minneapolis does..
You have it completely backwards. The only thing Kansas City has in common with Chicago is geography, they're both located in the center of the country. Culturally, the states in the Great Plains/Lower Midwest are a lot different than the states in the Great Lakes/Upper Midwest.

Old 07-12-2010, 03:44 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,288,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
Most people don't think of Niles, MI at all. I used to live there. I'm shocked you've heard of it.
It's a fairly large (for Southwest Michigan) inland city.

Old 09-15-2010, 04:14 PM

17 posts, read 44,573 times
Des Moines, Madison, and Clarion Iowa
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City