Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Republic of Cascadia, yes or no?
Yes! 39 54.17%
Noo 22 30.56%
Who? What? Isn't it all just trees up there? 11 15.28%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 01:49 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by missRoxyhart View Post

I was just wondering, do people in that part of Canada wanna be separate from the rest of it?

Do they feel isolated from their government and country too?

Also, if they were independent, would they wanna join with the US Northwest states?

Is there that much of a "brotherhood" type relationship over there?
In answer to your questions, NO and NO and NO, and to the 4th question - NO, there is no particular sense of "brotherhood" by a long shot but there is certainly friendship and there is definitely relating to each other in that there are similarities in our appreciation of the climate and environment and natural resources. I think it would be safe to say that British Columbia, Washington, Oregon and California take pride in our mutual "green-ness", our environmental awareness and a desire to conserve and preserve the natural resources of the west coast.

But as to BC separating from Canada to join Cascadia - not a chance of a snowball in hell of something like that being a consideration. There are way too many political and societal differences in other ways for it to be a consideration and British Columbians LIKE being part of Canada, and we like our freedoms, our constitutional monarchy and our form of parliamentary government.

However, if those 3 states to our south and Alaska to the northwest wanted to separate from the USA to become territories of Canada then Canada would probably be amenable to that. I'm sure something could be worked out.

Last edited by Zoisite; 01-18-2012 at 02:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 10:36 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times
No, because it makes the map of the US look ugly.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:00 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,524,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
However, if those 3 states to our south and Alaska to the northwest wanted to separate from the USA to become territories of Canada then Canada would probably be amenable to that. I'm sure something could be worked out.
Please take us Canada... We promise to be good Canadians.

I for one would welcome our new Canadian overlords. And I would happily look forward to government health care, Tim Hortons franchises and being able to watch Hockey Night in Canada while Canadians will get a sunny and mild place to spend the winter in California along with a good chunk of the US high tech industry, more oil in Alaska, and plus all the great microbrews and wines from Oregon...

I'm sure we can make a deal that works for everyone...

Old 01-18-2012, 08:21 PM

6 posts, read 15,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
But as to BC separating from Canada to join Cascadia - not a chance of a snowball in hell of something like that being a consideration.There are way too many political and societal differences in other ways for it to be a consideration and British Columbians LIKE being part of Canada, and we like our freedoms, our constitutional monarchy and our form of parliamentary government.
I agree with this. I love Seattle more than our Canadian counterparts, but I think our ideological differences may be troublesome to sort out. For example, deciding whether to keep the American or Canadian gun laws, or having private or universal healthcare.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:42 PM

35 posts, read 79,981 times
Let me just say that I wouldn't be an American if it weren't for the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Last edited by where2raise; 01-18-2012 at 09:00 PM..

Old 01-18-2012, 09:32 PM

1,567 posts, read 3,117,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alki View Post
While this is highly unlikely, keep in mind that any state in the US has the constitutional right to secede from the rest of the country. I'm not exactly sure how it works in Canada.
No. They don't. There is no provision in the Constitution for leaving, only for entering.

Old 09-14-2014, 06:02 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,966,930 times
It's a cool idea but probably won't happen for hundreds of years. There's just not enough social connection between BC and the American Northwest to make it work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City