Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Republic of Cascadia, yes or no?
Yes! 39 54.17%
Noo 22 30.56%
Who? What? Isn't it all just trees up there? 11 15.28%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 05:48 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,049,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
<Chuckles> This breakaway republic had been a light discussion a few times for both the PNW and an independent BC when I was living in Seattle or chatting with locals in Vancouver. This part of North America for such a young history is quite provincial. Not quite as fired up as say Texas or Quebec but yeah it exists.

Vancouver is quite far removed from Ottawa and likewise Seattle is from DC. Vancouver is a west coast city first and a Canadian city second. When I was in Seattle, to many people there; the east coast of the US was not even on their radar. I would certainly say Vancouver draws a lot more influence from Pacific Rim places like Hong Kong and west coast cities like San Francisco, than their Canadian counterparts of Toronto and Montreal. Vancouver would probably be more interested in the idea of sovereignty. Seattle, not so much. Vancouver is more cosmopolitan and worldly than Seattle. The Cascadia region as a whole would have no problem being self sufficient.

Although this region has a different character than the rest of the US or Canada I don't see "Repbublic of Cascadia" going beyond a hypothetical discussion. Texans and Quebecios would be the first rebbles to breakaway. Vancouver and BC have far too many tranplants rooted in the rest of Canada, and likewise Seattle and Portland have many tranplants from other parts of the US, so in spite of the independent pioneer spirit that exists in Cascadia, the loyalties to their native countries are rooted too strongly.The Puget Sound area has a lot of US milatary installations, and despite the overwhelming Pacific Rim influence in Vancouver, its British/Canadian roots are still prevelent.
See Caphillsea, this is why I left the explanations to you. Of all the people on this board, you've got the most creditable first hand information on PNW.

Oh and as a side note Caphillsea, I saw a video yesterday, guess what American city is now copying Vancouver's style of development. (The river system and residential style) Take a guess, you'll probably be more surprised than I was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 05:51 AM

10,749 posts, read 23,822,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
True. Not as bad as Northeasterners for sure. At least Californians will stay put in California unlike Northeasterners who move elsewhere and bring their attitudes with them and complain that the city they moved to is not like NYC, Philly, Boston, etc.
Check the Texas threads about hoards of Californians showing up in Austin, Houston, and Dallas and complaining that it's not like home. Californians staying put? Now that's an oxymoron. Check the data on cities like Phoenix, Las Vegas, heck even Boise on California transplants.

We've come to an age where people from all 50 states are just migrating a whole lot more to places where they feel they can adapt to easier life, or for job oppurtunities, or lower cost of living. Regardless of where people are from, there will always be complainers, natives and transplants alike.

I like the idea that I can pack up and leave to head out to the other side of the continent for an oppurtunity without being questioned by authorities. That's the nice thing about our unity. Now if we could just break down the beaucracy of the federal government and give more leeway to states rights and laws then that would be nice. States can decide for themselves whether they want to be more progressive or screw themselves without bringing anybody else down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
See Caphillsea, this is why I left the explanations to you. Of all the people on this board, you've got the most creditable first hand information on PNW.

Oh and as a side note Caphillsea, I saw a video yesterday, guess what American city is now copying Vancouver's style of development. (The river system and residential style) Take a guess, you'll probably be more surprised than I was.

Hmmm... Miami was on a parallel track with Vancouver for that glass highrise residential core building. I'd say the only cities that are rapidly developing right now would be in Texas somewhere, so maybe Austin?

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 07-13-2010 at 06:00 AM..

Old 07-13-2010, 07:54 AM

84 posts, read 182,658 times
While this is highly unlikely, keep in mind that any state in the US has the constitutional right to secede from the rest of the country. I'm not exactly sure how it works in Canada.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:00 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,049,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Hmmm... Miami was on a parallel track with Vancouver for that glass highrise residential core building. I'd say the only cities that are rapidly developing right now would be in Texas somewhere, so maybe Austin?
It's actually a city you've checked out.

Fort Worth. If you watch their development plans in this video- they give a very heart warming shout out to Vancouver for being their inspiration for the design somewhere in the middle of the video.

YouTube - Trinity River Vision Bypass Channel Scale Model Video

I do like what I am seeing from Fort Worth. I hope it succeeds in whatever it is doing.

Haha, you know, those dangggg Texas cities with their rapid developments.

Last edited by DANNYY; 07-13-2010 at 08:13 AM..

Old 07-13-2010, 08:05 AM

5,143 posts, read 5,406,461 times
Yes. I'm all for small, local, governments.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:06 AM

5,143 posts, read 5,406,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alki View Post
While this is highly unlikely, keep in mind that any state in the US has the constitutional right to secede from the rest of the country. I'm not exactly sure how it works in Canada.
No...the Civil proved that the states DO NOT have that right. Sure they might Constitutionally...but the Feds would put anything like that down.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:22 AM

84 posts, read 182,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSizzle225 View Post
No...the Civil proved that the states DO NOT have that right. Sure they might Constitutionally...but the Feds would put anything like that down.
The Civil shouldn't have ruled that way. If something is unconstitutional, it shouldn't be valid. Really, I assure you that ruling is technically, undeniably, null and void.

We even wrote in our Declaration of Independence that this right to secede is here.

"That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends [human rights], it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness."

This carries on in the Constitution.

So basically, you can secede as long as you have a good reason for doing so. If you do, you should declare why. By "good reason," I mean you can only secede if human rights and/or Constitutional rights (which are the same thing really) are being infringed.

That's why I've been saying that whoever is organizing this independence movement is being ridiculous if he expects to get anywhere without stating exactly why he feels the secession is necessary. Again, I don't know how it works in Canada, and because of the bi-nationalism here, it'll be tougher for this movement to get going. (If it ever does, and probably won't.)

Old 07-13-2010, 08:42 AM

1,214 posts, read 2,520,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
True. Not as bad as Northeasterners for sure. At least Californians will stay put in California unlike Northeasterners who move elsewhere and bring their attitudes with them and complain that the city they moved to is not like NYC, Philly, Boston, etc.

Also to make it clear, I didn't mean Southerners are bad (except the racist ones). I just wouldn't want to live in the South if it became its own country. It would be governed with the Bible, meaning cursing and having sex without being married will be illegal. I also don't have anything bad to say about Midwesterners (except maybe ones from Chicago and Ohio for some reason).
Whoa, really? Lol, Californian's stay put in California? Not in this universe, and yeah they complain up here, alot, like ALOT. There's also tons of Southerners who move up here, and they complain alot too, though nowhere near as much as Californians. If you get tired of the complaining by the way, and say something, then you're suddenly the rude Northerner/Northeasterner lol. I hate stereotypes like this, people from everywhere do this, but not everyone from any region does it.

Old 01-13-2012, 04:33 AM

99 posts, read 254,470 times
I'm a huge advocate of Cascadia. I think the region has little to do with the countries it's a part of, though it shares a culture that is superficially similar. I think we'd be better off not participating in all these wars and descending into the madness that people in the east and middle of the continent are.

Viva Cascadia!

Old 01-13-2012, 04:54 AM

14,021 posts, read 15,022,389 times
No way it would be a Political nightmare with 2 countries involved, a Republic of New England or Republic of Texas would be more likely as this involves 1 countrys area , but all 3 have a really slim chance of happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City