Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 10:11 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOMAZBOI4U View Post

This is so true. It's like you're driving through the hood then all of a sudden-BOOM, restaurants, people, music. Like huhh? Coconut Grove was a more lavish location back in the 80's, but now, well...not.

I agree it shouldn't have been included.
Exactly, there are other areas of Miami that are 100% wealthy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2010, 11:39 AM

3,717 posts, read 8,184,507 times
You can still be materialistic and live in the hood though. I used to know this chick who lived in the projects in Brooklyn but always had the newest clothes, bags, heels etc. That is common in New York, you can be in the poorest sections of the city and still see well-dressed people.

Old 07-20-2010, 11:07 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,658,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat2009 View Post
What places in the United States have yuppies that show off the wealth tremendously through what they have (car and clothes)?
I have a few cities that come to mind:

Naples, FL
Winter Park, FL
Coconut Grove, FL
Orange County, CA
Coral Gables, FL
Encino, CA
Highland Park Dallas
Washington DC

I live in Naples, and it is NOT materialistic. Many, many who live here very poor. Most of the wealthy people only come here during the winter and then leave. For example, you hardly see expensive cars driving around other times of the year besides winter.

Old 07-20-2010, 11:09 PM

151 posts, read 300,744 times
The most materialistic are usually poors so I see no need in throwing out places like NY/BH/PB.

Old 07-20-2010, 11:11 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee. View Post
The most materialistic are usually poors so I see no need in throwing out places like NY/BH/PB.

Thats true!

Old 07-20-2010, 11:15 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,184,507 times
That is true, listen to a rap song and how many times you hear things like "Gucci" "Louis" "Prada" etc.

Old 07-21-2010, 06:46 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,303,947 times
Any place there's a "Real Housewives of ____" show

Old 07-21-2010, 12:40 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,501,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat2009 View Post
What places in the United States have yuppies that show off the wealth tremendously through what they have (car and clothes)?
I have a few cities that come to mind:

Naples, FL
Winter Park, FL
Coconut Grove, FL
Orange County, CA
Coral Gables, FL
Encino, CA
Highland Park Dallas
Washington DC
Scottsdale, Arizona fits this perfectly.

For people who are not familiar with Scottsdale, it's a large suburban area east of Phoenix that thrives on materialism, high-end shopping, fake body parts, and $40,000-per-year millionaires.

It reminds me of South Beach without the beach.

Old 07-21-2010, 04:10 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,160,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
hahahahaha....the only thing nouveau about SFs rich is their tans from their weekend trips up to the Wine Country.

Other than that, we're talking about a city whose blueblood pedigree goes back to the middle of the 1800s. Even before then, the Mexican elite with direct ties to Spain that ran California were actually classier and more sophisticated than the newish American money from the Northeast.

History. Look it up.

The only one who needs to look up history is you, because when you don't know it, you simply make it up. When Mariano Guadalupe was born (im sure you don't know who he is) the san fransisco bay area had a total of 80 families who were largely inbread with one another in addition to raping the local indians. This was in 1807. How is this "way classier" than the blue bloods living back east, who founded this country and saw it through when the brittish invaded in 1812?

Sf is a decidedly nouveau rich city. Anyone who so much as saw sf in the in early 90's knows the city could have very much gone the way of cities like chicago, in the sense that half the city would have been unlivable.
The dot com boom and 40% of the nations venture capitol changed all that.

Mexican elite? WTF? They were all a bunch of cattle ranchers and farmers, and they did not have ties to spanish royalty. The mexican people came about as a mix between native spaniards who were soilders (ie 'grunts' from lower class spanish society) intermingling with indians. Thats why in mexico calling some on an "indio" is seen as the ultimate insult.

And spanish eliete more sophisticated than those back east? You do realize that by this time the spanish armada had been destroyed by the brittish and spain was losing colonial territory hand over fist. The 1800s were marked by french and brittish success, not spanish. Spain was in decline. The blue bloods back east, with ties to brittish royalty had more money than the petty spanish could ever dream up. If it had not been for the anglo's with money from back east coming to california, the state would be nothing.

Stop trying to compare SF to new amsterdam, because it just gets old. Sf is not manhattan, it never has been, and never will be, no matter how hard you try.

And if you try to argue with me, I'm going to start citing quotes from actual california history books I had back in college, so dont bother. Let it go.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:06 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
You can still be materialistic and live in the hood though. I used to know this chick who lived in the projects in Brooklyn but always had the newest clothes, bags, heels etc. That is common in New York, you can be in the poorest sections of the city and still see well-dressed people.
Exactly, and you can still live in a decent area for schools and less crime but drive a modest car, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City