Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 02:15 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,513,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
See that's the thing though, I can't handle cities with one type of culture being a dominant force, because it literally would irritate me to no end.

I prefer international cities, built up of large concentration of cultures, with those cultures come the food options, you get a good feel of how people from all around the world are like, you make a more diverse group of friends. That's why cities like New York City, Chicago, Boston, Los Angeles, Philadelphia, Washington DC, & etc.. are great city options for me. It's built up of so many different cultural micro-climates where not one is dominant over another.

For the liberals out there, can you imagine living in a city where it's completely full of conservatives of every kind?
For the conservatives out there, can you handle living in a city where it's as left as you can go (liberal)?

I like the international feel the most, I would take that any day over anything where one culture makes up a good chunk of the population.
I guess my reasoning comes from being Asian, I can live in an area that is not South Asian without South Asian people, but there will eventually be a time in my life where these thoughts go through my head, "I'm the only one of my kind here....". I try to avoid living in those kinds of environments.
yeah i know what you mean, it is partly that its a big city, and partly the demographic and diverse makeups I like. They usually go hand in hand at least in the U.S. but they can also be big and not very diverse as is the case in parts of Eastern Europe or Asia.

If you are in the smaller one type of city area, it becomes group provincial this is the way it is mentality and especially weirder if you are not in that group.

I am pretty moderate but both places freak me out a little the all liberal/all conservative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 02:23 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I am pretty moderate but both places freak me out a little the all liberal/all conservative.
Yeah I'm as moderate as can be/try to be, with no political identity. I can't handle the extreme left or the extreme right either- because frankly both sides get very annoying and it really starts to meddle with personal life.
If it goes one way, high taxes, lower standard for living, weird laws that affect my own personal lifestyle... the other way then textbooks get rewritten to cover up history, etc... I frankly like middle ground cities, where everything is mixed along with culture and other aspects like dining and things to do. And with that criteria, it really limits you to only a handful of cities that you can pick overall.

Old 07-14-2010, 02:40 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Yeah I'm as moderate as can be/try to be, with no political identity. I can't handle the extreme left or the extreme right either- because frankly both sides get very annoying and it really starts to meddle with personal life.
If it goes one way, high taxes, lower standard for living, weird laws that affect my own personal lifestyle... the other way then textbooks get rewritten to cover up history, etc... I frankly like middle ground cities, where everything is mixed along with culture and other aspects like dining and things to do. And with that criteria, it really limits you to only a handful of cities that you can pick overall.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right, here I am stuck in the middle with you...

Old 07-14-2010, 02:45 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Once again, half of Coconut Grove or "The Grove" is crime ridden and ghetto, I don't think it belongs on this list.

Old 07-14-2010, 03:00 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,364,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
lmao I actually did a little research and found the following biscuit reviews.

the best are Scott Peacock's biscuits at Watershed in Decatur. with gravy.

Hands down is Bobby & June's Country Kitchen on 14th street west of 75/85. Not many places have the guts to use lard anymore, but it sure does make a tasty biscuit. Go for any of the breakfast meats--esp. country ham & red eye gravy--can't go wrong.
Watershed is way cool, but Scott has left to persue film projects. The food and atmosphere are still great, though. This place is owned by Emily Saliers of the Indigo Girls.
Watershed Restaurant :: Decatur, GA

Bobby & June's is the REAL Southern deal that is getting harder and harder to experience. The Silver Skillet, closer to the Connector is a very close contender.

Happy biscuit hunting.

Old 07-14-2010, 03:50 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,994,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Watershed is way cool, but Scott has left to persue film projects. The food and atmosphere are still great, though. This place is owned by Emily Saliers of the Indigo Girls.
Watershed Restaurant :: Decatur, GA

Bobby & June's is the REAL Southern deal that is getting harder and harder to experience. The Silver Skillet, closer to the Connector is a very close contender.

Happy biscuit hunting.
Bah, all those places suck! I want to know where I can get a scrapple and white bread sammich?

Old 07-14-2010, 07:14 PM

200 posts, read 814,250 times
I think Coconut Grove kind of belongs on the list near the water in the area, there are alot of wealthy people

Old 07-14-2010, 08:55 PM

242 posts, read 315,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat2009 View Post
I think Coconut Grove kind of belongs on the list near the water in the area, there are alot of wealthy people
Coconut Crap is one of the most unapologetically pretentious, materialistic parts of Miami-Dade, even mode so than Miami Beach. The funny part is (as Polo pointed out), Coconut Grove is right next door to a ghetto area where you don't want to find yourself in, if you are unfamiliar with the area.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:37 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,401,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Hoboken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Half of Coconut Grove is crime-ridden and ghetto, and the other half is not as rich as people in Coral Gables. I don't know why it's a choice on here.
This is so true. It's like you're driving through the hood then all of a sudden-BOOM, restaurants, people, music. Like huhh? Coconut Grove was a more lavish location back in the 80's, but now, well...not.

I agree it shouldn't have been included.

Old 07-14-2010, 10:09 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Your.Decision View Post
Coconut Crap is one of the most unapologetically pretentious, materialistic parts of Miami-Dade, even mode so than Miami Beach. The funny part is (as Polo pointed out), Coconut Grove is right next door to a ghetto area where you don't want to find yourself in, if you are unfamiliar with the area.
That's why I don't think it really belongs on the list, ahead of places like Star Island and Aventura.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City