Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 11:45 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calisnuffy View Post
This thread reeks of those who resent the rich, if you have the money, enjoy it.

I do, just not as overtly as some
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 11:46 AM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
They are not the ones I am describing

and by newish you mean the mid to late 1800s in NE? Dupont fortune is a direct result of the civil war, they were a gunpowder company
I am always interested in how old money families made their fortunes.

The Haas family for example, today one of the most respected in the Bay Area, began when their predecessor took the ship sails abandoned at the port by gold-seekers headed for the Sierra and made trousers out of them that became known as Denim. His name was Levi Strauss.

Immigrant AP Giannini, an Italian had another story that I really like. Right after the great earthquake he set up a table on the waterfront and began a makeshift bank for earthquake survivors...the original name for his operation was the Bank of Italy and later it was renamed to what it is known as today. Bank of America.

There are countless other stories when it comes to the origins of Bay Area money. From Railroad Barons to Oil magnates and so on.

Its the one demographic in the Bay Area that keeps replenishing itself and has done so since the 1800s.

Quote:
Alpine although wealthy is not a best example of NE bluebloods
Never said it was.

Quote:
And I am just sour i missed the birthing lottery
Hey, I missed it too. Trust me.

Old 07-14-2010, 11:52 AM

3,717 posts, read 8,184,507 times
Orlando is like soccer mom galore.

Old 07-14-2010, 11:54 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I am always interested in how old money families made their fortunes.

The Haas family for example, today one of the most respected in the Bay Area, began when their predecessor took the ship sails abandoned at the port by gold-seekers headed for the Sierra and made trousers out of them that became known as Denim. His name was Levi Strauss.

Immigrant AP Giannini, an Italian had another story that I really like. Right after the great earthquake he set up a table on the waterfront and began a makeshift bank for earthquake survivors...the original name for his operation was the Bank of Italy and later it was renamed to what it is known as today. Bank of America.

There are countless other stories when it comes to the origins of Bay Area money. From Railroad Barons to Oil magnates and so on.

Its the one demographic in the Bay Area that keeps replenishing itself and has done so since the 1800s.

Never said it was.

Hey, I missed it too. Trust me.

I agree those who made futones are fascinating, a bit of luck but usually more foresight and risk. There are many fascinating stories. many times after the fact they seem like such common sense but most have very interesting stories.

And on BOA - he really started to serve the large italian community which at the time was having even more dificulty getting money - but seee where it is today

The Pennsylvian Railroad company (now defunct but many many made huge fortunes off of this) was really mostly a way to get produce to markets in the city of Philly more effeciently - but then went nuts, some dumb luck because the railbeds used river beds as the path to traverse elevation change and filled the need of the furnaces that were also springing up to produce steel.

I agree on the stories and people, fascinating, now the trust generations far removed are a mixed bag on intrigue.

Hell i can listen to the Wizard discuss shoe stores and his thoughts and learn new perspective everyday. Still am confused on the rail pruchase, but he is way more right than i am in the market

Old 07-14-2010, 12:04 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
[quote=Scott5280;15031262]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC90 View Post
Ridiculous. SF feels more "scruffy" and bohemian.

Even the rich people drive beat up cars or Priuses and seem to look down on conspicuous consumption.

Boulder also shares that attitude, but mainly it's more of the Free Tibet bumper stickers on Porsche Cayennes complete with twin 10k road bikes atop the roof rack. Hippies drive Range Rovers in Boulder. Far from the Rodeo, Fifth Avenue crowd.
it's a different kind of rich, you nailed it. they are spending it on other items as to "not flaunt" its weird. they are called bobo's around here...bohemian bourgeois. SF and Marin, parts of wine country are full of them. If they are younger, referred to as trustafarians...(trust fund rastafarians) i.e. some white kid with dreads driving a brand new volvo suv pulling out of whole foods with 500 dollars in groceries and health food products, probably a 10k bike on the back and 5k kayak on top, dressed in organic cotton/hemp threads or some over priced stuff from REI and of course the newest iphone is a MUST!
on the back will be some GE free stickers, END this LESS WAR, etc.

Old 07-14-2010, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post

I agree on the stories and people, fascinating, now the trust generations far removed are a mixed bag on intrigue.
So true.

In many cases, they are way less interesting and much stuffier than the people who actually made the money in the first place.

otoh, others try to act like they don't need their money-they are the funniest ones.

I sometimes attend events and I always laugh at the ones who come looking grungy acting a fool like they are soooooo rebellious..... but they were driven to the event in a chauffered Bentley.

LOL

Old 07-14-2010, 12:06 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,956,239 times
Montgomery County, MD
Arlington County, VA
Alexandria, VA
Fairfax County, VA
Northwest D.C.

Old 07-14-2010, 12:07 PM

[quote=grapico;15037326]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott5280 View Post
it's a different kind of rich, you nailed it. they are spending it on other items as to "not flaunt" its weird. they are called bobo's...bohemian bourgouise
Yes, in the Bay Area a Prius almost equals a Louis Vuitton purse in other cities.

Old 07-14-2010, 12:13 PM

893 posts, read 2,863,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by giantsfan11490 View Post
For the west coast definitely parts of the OC - Laguna Beach etc. and suburbs of San Jose/San Francisco - Los Altos Hills

East coast - I can't believe no one has mentioned Long Island yet - Most of Nassau County: Great Neck, Manhasset, Brookville etc. And obviously Fairfield County - Darien, Cos Cob. Westchester County, parts of New Jersey and Suffolk County - Hamptons. Parts of Manhattan. Atlanta suburbs and Boston suburbs can be pretty bad as well.
Exactly. 5 Pages and nobody mentioned Long Island,NY yet. I guess that's a good thing, but everyone knows Long Island is one of the most materialistic places in NY. Esp the North shore, Hamptons, and some south shore towns.

Seems like Long Islanders are hated everywhere we go because of this.

Old 07-14-2010, 12:15 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
[quote=18Montclair;15037360]
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post

Yes, in the Bay Area a Prius almost equals a Louis Vuitton purse in other cities.
Definitely, they still purchase, just different stuff. They are conscious about their purchases so to say, which I suppose is at least lesser of the 2 evils of just plain having too much stuff. I do think designer scarves are fair game. Bay Area is serious about scarves. More so than much colder cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City