Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2010, 12:29 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,933,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I think there's some truth to this. It's only a matter of time until many of those neighborhoods become less integrated due to the effects of gentrification. Nonetheless, DC has more black yuppies, or "Buppies," than Houston, and they will continue to live in those areas long after the poorer blacks are gone.
yep, and they will steadily vanillarize.
We don't need to have ANY black yuppies to be integrated. The nice thing about Houston is that its the diversity of people that make it special. The black people don't have to act yuppie, they maintain a bit of their culture just like all the other ethnicities here. Many colors, many personalities, one city. Not everyone trying to act like granddad has a building named after him at Harvard
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 12:32 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,933,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
But overall, I'd say that you can find more integrated clubs here than every other city with the exception of NYC.
highly doubt that. Very highly.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:33 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
yep, and they will steadily vanillarize.
We don't need to have ANY black yuppies to be integrated. The nice thing about Houston is that its the diversity of people that make it special. The black people don't have to act yuppie, they maintain a bit of their culture just like all the other ethnicities here. Many colors, many personalities, one city. Not everyone trying to act like granddad has a building named after him at Harvard
We have black people here like that too. They just live in poor areas of town away from white people. Most black people in Harris County, TX are not living near whites. They are living in majority black neighborhoods, just as most blacks in the country are.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:47 AM

Quote:
highly doubt that. Very highly.
There's nowhere else where you can find crowds as diverse as the ones you see in DC (or at least have as many whites and blacks in the same room after working hours).

Based on my personal observations:

San Francisco: Clubs that are mostly Asian playing hip hop; bars that are mostly white playing whatever; bars that are mostly Asian and white. Not sure where blacks in Oakland go, but they're not partying in San Francisco. Plus, the Bay Area loses a lot of its educated black population to other cities where the dating prospects for blacks (particularly black women) are better.

Boston: Clubs are pretty divided along racial lines. There were a few that had better mixtures of black and Hispanic. But for the most part, blacks and whites do their own thing.

Philly: Same as Boston. Black clubs are slightly better.

Atlanta: Clubs, clubs, and more clubs, plus Atlantic Station. Black people do their thing, whites do theirs. Never the twain shall meet.

Houston: Clubs, clubs, clubs. Things are spread out like Atlanta, so you don't have tons of different people out in the streets mixing up. The choices are pretty much black clubs that play hip hop or white clubs that play something else.

Miami: Never been to a mixed party in Miami. If it was mixed, it was usually West Indian with smatterings of Puerto Ricans or other Hispanics.

NYC: My favorite party town (next to London). The Gold Bar is delightful. NYC may be the only city where a heterosexual black man can go to a club, party with whites, gays, Asians, Europeans, and whatever, and have the time of his life. Again, second only to London, and it's a close second.

DC: A big step down from NYC, but there are enough lounges and bars where you have at least a critical mass of black people.

Old 07-23-2010, 01:14 AM

2,222 posts, read 3,599,889 times
Quote:
thats the point. I think the op is looking for an integrated city, not a city with pockets of integration with black rich people.
Exactly. I'm looking at the cities in terms of their segregation being mostly along socioeconomic lines rather than racial ones. I've spent most of my life either in DC or close by and Maryland, and while I won't deny that it's perhaps got the most established black middle class in the nation, it's not exactly what I'd think of as "well integrated". There's still a very stark, distinct "black" and"white" side of town, extending from the district proper into the Maryland suburbs. Despite the large population of high-earning blacks, DC west of the park and north of downtown is still very much a white area, as are places like Chevy Chase, Bethesda and Potomac. A lot of blacks families who might earn similar incomes to these populations still choose to live east of the park or in PG county.

But don't let this make you think I'm totally biased against DC in this question; for all I know, Houston could be just like this as well, or even worse.

Old 07-23-2010, 02:12 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,369,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Oh really?

As of 2008:

Metro Atlanta: 1,701,581 (31.7%)
Metro Washington, DC: 1,380,540 (25.8%)

Hmm, I guess Atlanta fell off the face of the Earth huh?
Atlanta is the "black mecca" it's not for nothing

Old 07-23-2010, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee. View Post
Self-segregation perhaps. Not white people's fault.

It seems blacks are well integrated into the corporate world in cities like New York and Washington.... but not in Houston.

Houston is racist.
AHAHAHAHAHAHA Houston is racist ? Are you really educated ? So many doubts...Houston = 28% non-hispanic whites, and it's really tolerant and open-minded (Houston's mayor is lesbian).
You need that : College education

It's sad because I'm french and even me I know that....

Old 07-23-2010, 04:34 AM

Non-hispanic black population change between 2000 and 2008 :

Houston metro : + 152,000
DC Metro : + 110,000
Dallas metro : + 166,000
NY Metro : + 49,000
Los Angeles metro : - 49,000
Atlanta metro : + 473,000
Boston metro : + 40,000
Miami metro : + 139,000
San Francisco metro : - 30,000
Chicago metro : - 8,000

Interesting numbers no ?
Houston and Dallas metro are ahead DC in growth, but DC is one of the best about that anyway
But Atlanta is really the master

Old 07-23-2010, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
Exactly. I'm looking at the cities in terms of their segregation being mostly along socioeconomic lines rather than racial ones. I've spent most of my life either in DC or close by and Maryland, and while I won't deny that it's perhaps got the most established black middle class in the nation, it's not exactly what I'd think of as "well integrated". There's still a very stark, distinct "black" and"white" side of town, extending from the district proper into the Maryland suburbs. Despite the large population of high-earning blacks, DC west of the park and north of downtown is still very much a white area, as are places like Chevy Chase, Bethesda and Potomac. A lot of blacks families who might earn similar incomes to these populations still choose to live east of the park or in PG county.

But don't let this make you think I'm totally biased against DC in this question; for all I know, Houston could be just like this as well, or even worse.
Yes, Houston is even worse. Generally speaking, blacks tend to be much, much poorer than whites in the United States, and thus they do not live around whites. So every town pretty much has this stark black-white divide. While the DC metro area is still very segregated, you find many more blacks living among whites than you do in Houston.

And blacks living in Prince George's County are not earning incomes similar to what whites are earning in Bethesda and Potomac. Although many blacks tend to self-segregate, many of them could not live in Bethesda even if they wanted to because it's unaffordable. A house in Bethesda would probably costs twice as much as a house in Bowie. If anything, blacks in P.G. County are more on par with whites in Loudon and Prince William County, but even they are outearning them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
Atlanta is the "black mecca" it's not for nothing
I think Atlanta is really smoke and mirrors. It doesn't take a whole lot to get an interest-only mortgage, buy a big house in Clayton County, and get a Mercedes Benz. Atlanta's very much a "show me the money town," where people are driving around big cars and living in big houses, but have little savings and are on the brink of financial ruin. They're basically hood rich. I loved my time in Atlanta, but I definitely consider DC to be more of a black mecca. You're far more likely to meet a black journalist for the NY Times or a black girl working as an economist at the World Bank here than you are in Atlanta. Plus, DC is the home of the stylish, frizzy-haired Corrine Bailey Rae type chicks (Brooklyn is a close second), whom I like very, very, very much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uStu...eature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoNli...eature=channel

Last edited by BajanYankee; 07-23-2010 at 09:11 AM..

Old 07-23-2010, 09:15 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,402,204 times
Quote:
although Houston doesn't have a Howard, we still attract a lot of bright students from the Caribbean. I am from the Caribbean and we have caribbean clubs and such, so I did get to meet with many caribbean folk.

And DC is far from being as diverse as Houston.
where in the Caribbean you from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City