Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 06:41 PM

329 posts, read 1,276,145 times

Advertisements

I grew up in NE Florida. I moved a lot due to corporate transfers and ended up back in NE Florida before we made the decision to move to Sedona.

Florida is really two states everything above Orlando and everything below Orlando and they are very different. NE/North Central Florida is kind of like South Georgia. It is more laid back and moves at a slower pace. That said Florida now has a population of over 18 million and is way too crowded for me.

It really all depends on what you like to do. Beyond golf, boating and the beach there is not much to do in Florida and then there are the hurricanes, high insurance costs and high property taxes. But, when you factor in the fact that there is no income tax the cost of living is, on average, about the same as AZ.

AZ, is has a much lower population and, in my opinion, has much more to do and fabulous places to visit in neighboring states!

I personally am glad to be away from the traffic, high humidity, storms and bugs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 08:02 PM

260 posts, read 511,616 times
Most of Florida is only a few feet above sea level, if the Ocean level rises, most of Florida will be under water.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:13 PM

849 posts, read 2,922,288 times
I have lived in Florida for 17 years, and I cannot WAIT to retire in Arizona. I live outside of Tampa, and it is outright terrible in this state. It is run poorly, highly congested, and BORING. I took up jetskiing and boating out here. That's about all there is. The beaches are awesome and the weather is nice, but give me mountains, hiking, mountain biking, mountain lakes, Lake Powell, Sedona, and the endless array of activities in Arizona...oh...and teh DRY heat without the humidity.
Winter Park is a bit more laid back, but FLorida is FLorida. Flat, boring, backwards and drug-infested. I know AZ isn't perfect either, but no one has any clue how bad our prescription drug abuse problem is out here until you spend a few years out here and see it firsthand. This place is depressing. I have 12 years to go, and I count each day until I pack up and move westward ho.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:29 PM

204 posts, read 628,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
I used to live in Goodyear and feel your pain, but right now my TV is off because there is no cable and satellite doesn't work in an electrical storm.
like I said it may get up to 85 today, think I'll sit on the porch and watch the storm. Sierra Vista has the best weather around
I have thought about that before, that if I were to look on the bright side of things at least I don't have trees through my house and loss of electricity. i wonder if I will change my view of how great it may be to live out there the first time a hurricane hits lol. Sorry about your tv, that would make me nuts! Enjoy the storm though : )

Old 08-10-2010, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich67 View Post
I have lived in Florida for 17 years, and I cannot WAIT to retire in Arizona. I live outside of Tampa, and it is outright terrible in this state. It is run poorly, highly congested, and BORING. I took up jetskiing and boating out here. That's about all there is. The beaches are awesome and the weather is nice, but give me mountains, hiking, mountain biking, mountain lakes, Lake Powell, Sedona, and the endless array of activities in Arizona...oh...and teh DRY heat without the humidity.
Winter Park is a bit more laid back, but FLorida is FLorida. Flat, boring, backwards and drug-infested. I know AZ isn't perfect either, but no one has any clue how bad our prescription drug abuse problem is out here until you spend a few years out here and see it firsthand. This place is depressing. I have 12 years to go, and I count each day until I pack up and move westward ho.
See now I feel just the opposite. I have grown quite bored and annoyed out here. When I move there will be things I will miss about Arizona but it's sooo boring out here! I am headed up to Sedona/Grand Canyon for my birthday but how many times can you really do that? Camelback Mountain, Wildlife World Zoo, and...The culture out here is lacking as far as museums etc but I grew up outside of Chicago so I may just be spoiled in that respect. The mountains out here are gorgeous without a doubt but dry heat? 118 is 118 regardless! People go hiking out here and constantly need rescue and so many people have brought their dogs hiking this summer on Camelback only to have to carry their dead bodies back down...so sad and too hot! My kid can't play baseball in a league out here the heat is so oppressive and summers are endless for him as no one goes out to play due to the heat. The schools out here are painful. I do love the house we are in, the housing situation is great for people to take advantage of right now. We rent a gorgeous 3br/2ba house in a nice neighborhood for $850. I agree with Florida's prescription drug problem, I read about that all the time. I live on the west side of the valley and we haven't seen a thunderstorm in a year and, quite frankly, I miss it...doesn't feel natural to me at all. I have family in Florida and, maybe because I have a child and I love doing "kid stuff" we always have plenty to do.

Everyone sees things differently on this subject I think. I think once you get jaded about a certain area no one can make you see differently. I would never say "Don't come here, it's awful!" regardless of how I am feeling about it now because I am sure that this beautiful place is a great fit for many people as is Florida. It all depends on what you find important I guess.

Old 08-10-2010, 11:43 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,516,977 times
Quote:
I have grown quite bored and annoyed out here. When I move there will be things I will miss about Arizona but it's sooo boring out here!
This is one statement I will never understand....

Old 08-11-2010, 01:46 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,294,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poolgirl51 View Post

It really all depends on what you like to do. Beyond golf, boating and the beach there is not much to do in Florida and then there are the hurricanes, high insurance costs and high property taxes. But, when you factor in the fact that there is no income tax the cost of living is, on average, about the same as AZ.
Florida has much higher property taxes so it doesn't really balance out. Arizona has really low property tax.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:22 AM

8,685 posts, read 16,848,232 times
The last I checked Phoenix is part of AZ? Some people like it, some don't...some move in, some move out...Not all people like the same things... We have people here from all over the state and that is usually the part we know best and use to answer questions. Please try to stay somewhat on topic

Old 08-11-2010, 10:42 AM

13,211 posts, read 21,825,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moveeast31 View Post
See now I feel just the opposite. I have grown quite bored and annoyed out here.
[...]
The mountains out here are gorgeous without a doubt but dry heat? 118 is 118 regardless! People go hiking out here and constantly need rescue and so many people have brought their dogs hiking this summer on Camelback only to have to carry their dead bodies back down...so sad and too hot! My kid can't play baseball in a league out here the heat is so oppressive and summers are endless for him as no one goes out to play due to the heat. The schools out here are painful.
For clarification, you are speaking of Phoenix. The vast majority of Arizona does not get anywhere near that hot and is quite pleasant most of the time. The climate in Phoenix is not representative of the rest of the state. I feel it's important to make that distinction because the OP asked about Arizona and we don't want to give folks the wrong impression.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
For clarification, you are speaking of Phoenix. The vast majority of Arizona does not get anywhere near that hot and is quite pleasant most of the time. I feel it's important to make that distinction because the OP asked about Arizona and we don't want to give folks the wrong impression.
Fair enough! I will agree I am speaking only of my experiences in living in the Valley only. There are many parts of the valley that are much cooler in temperature, very beautiful landscaping and just plain amazing to visit and I can only imagine it's even more amazing to live there. I have not seen much south of the Valley personally but up North is amazing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City