Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more urban and has more of a "big city" feel?
Houston 69 29.11%
Seattle 168 70.89%
Voters: 237. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 09:28 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,188,171 times

Advertisements

^ Pwned.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:32 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,870,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
I think you were feeling what sprawl is like vs. density. I know some equate sprawl with "big city". I don't.
I don't know what it was.... all I know is that I felt more overwhelmed in Houston than I did in San Francisco.

edit:

i'm just wondering though.... how is sprawl not "big city"?

Last edited by migol84; 08-26-2010 at 09:45 PM..

Old 08-26-2010, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
This is basically the point - that is every suburb in America, and you saying it has more to do than downtown is also kind of the point, meaning the most vibrant areas look act and feel like suburbs

And yes they do - travel a little more, EVERY major metro has a suburb like this
I'll be honest, i'm having a hard time understanding your first paragraph.

On your second paragraph: I'm basing it on the way toughguy phrased the post. he said "any suburban" as in just any typical suburban town will have something like a galleria. So I said, no they are not. i agree though, i should travel more and i'll admit there are "suburban parks" similar to the galleria but..... do they have a 901ft skyscraper???

and also the galleria in houston is not in a suburb.... the last i heard.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:46 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migol84 View Post
I'll be honest, i'm having a hard time understanding your first paragraph.

On your second paragraph: I'm basing it on the way toughguy phrased the post. he said "any suburban" as in just any typical suburban town will have something like a galleria. So I said, no they are not. i agree though, i should travel more and i'll admit there are "suburban parks" similar to the galleria but..... do they have a 901ft skyscraper???

and also the galleria in houston is not in a suburb.... the last i heard.
No it's not a suburb. But it would be in just about every city in the nation if it was outside of Texas. Not to mention that the galleria area is very suburban in nature. The car rules in the galleria.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
No it's not a suburb. But it would be in just about every city in the nation if it was outside of Texas. Not to mention that the galleria area is very suburban in nature. The car rules in the galleria.
but it's still a part of the city.... no matter how you put it.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:55 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,935,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migol84 View Post
but it's still a part of the city.... no matter how you put it.

And this is why many people look at Houston with a slightly raised eyebrow when the term city is used, given it's size and suburban composition within the city limits it mostly does not feel or function as a city. Now in terms of an overall metro it is most definately large

Old 08-26-2010, 09:56 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,959,536 times
what I said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
look at the money coming from Houston and the money coming from Houston and you will feel which is bigger in a second.

What y'alls GMP is like 180B? Ours is like 405B?
what he heard (you know they are always twisting words):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
So speaking to the topic of this thread, how does a GMP of 405B make a city feel more urban than a GMP of 180B?
The topic of this thread:

Quote:
which is more urban, with more of a "big city: feel: Houston or Seattle?
a response from some one who has common sense:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthmoreAve View Post
I can't speak for the poster, but generally, but not always, the big cities will have big economies, which would translate into a big city feel, note I said feel, and not urbanity.

Having a big economy might mean that there is more industry in that region, therefore more warehouses, factories, manufacturing, proccessing, trucking, airports, ports, infrastructure, etc, and all those elements would make a city feel bigger. (I said it makes it feel bigger, and not more urban, because I think we can all agree that Seattle is more urban, no need to beat a dead horse)
But I guess they will twist your words too. I say Houston feels bigger they say show me how it is more urban. City Data needs to start handing out eye glasses, I probably need some because the Seattle posters must be seeing some special code in posts that no one else can see

Old 08-26-2010, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
And this is why many people look at Houston with a slightly raised eyebrow when the term city is used, given it's size and suburban composition within the city limits it mostly does not feel or function as a city. Now in terms of an overall metro it is most definately large
wow.... i literally do not know what to say here. a city is a city is a city is a city is a city is a city.... what's the big deal?

Old 08-26-2010, 09:59 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,959,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post

I have been to some very urban areas in Europe where cars also rule.

Places where the primary mode of transport is by car has nothing to do with wether the place is urban or not. The automobile encouraged flight to the burbs but not all areas where cars rule are very suburban.

Old 08-26-2010, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I have been to some very urban areas in Europe where cars also rule.

Places where the primary mode of transport is by car has nothing to do with wether the place is urban or not. The automobile encouraged flight to the burbs but not all areas where cars rule are very suburban.
yeah... i couldn't get the part either about "cars rule" constituting a suburb either. i scratched my head a little and thought about responding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City