Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more urban and has more of a "big city" feel?
Houston 69 29.11%
Seattle 168 70.89%
Voters: 237. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 12:41 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times

Advertisements

You know what..squash it..it's the internet. But migol, contrary to that belief, I am myself today and I only post what I feel.

Old 08-27-2010, 12:42 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,184,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migol84 View Post
My point was that calling it suburban in a way to discredit my opinion about how "big" the city feels does not work. The fact that the Galleria has a 901ft building outside of downtown in a "suburban" type area would make me think, "wow, this city is freakin huge!" It has nothing to do with urban and neither would I make an argument against it. Urban makes a city feel more crowded with people bringing all the hustle and bustle.... a sprawling city would make it feel epic but crowded with cars bringing all the hustle and bustle and most likely to get lost. Think of it as going to Mexico city and turning somewhere in your car and all of a sudden you're completely lost. Of course, it's hypothetical but that's how Houston feels.

As I've said earlier I've never been to Seattle so I don't know how it would make me feel but judging on San Francisco as being "urban" it does not give me that same epic feeling that Houston gave me.

That's basically what I'm saying, it's not that I disagree with you or anything.
Do you have to use the word epic though? Lol, jk.

Old 08-27-2010, 12:48 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
well, this was one of my arguments to kidphilly suggesting why I didn't think it was anything like other suburban parks.... but whatever. i don't wanna risk discrediting any other city...

Tall buildings do not constitute urban, would you say DC is not urban, the tallest buildings in DC are outside of the district. It is in the functional composition. The Galleria area feels like Tysons or KOP. A couple of tall buildings look a lttle different but driving/walking around the area it feels like it could plopped in just about any suburb in America and is exactly how it functions.

Old 08-27-2010, 12:50 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,868,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
well, you know... just tryna get my point across.
i'll be honest though... i consider my preference to be urban more so than sprawl. for one, cause i don't have a car by choice.... it's too freakin expensive and plus it's a great realization when you discover that having less liabilities = more money.

Old 08-27-2010, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Lol, there is no reasoning with him. He will go off on something else

I am extremely reasonable, why do people in houston refuse to believe the majority of their city looks, feels, and functions as a suburb. Most cities have a majority of the thier population in the suburbs, but you guys talk about galleria x and medical center y, outside of few tall buildings there is nothing really different about these areas when compared to satalite suburban centers in every center. Why is it different for houston, this is what I never understand, why is the same thing called something else or made to be something it is not. Seriously

Old 08-27-2010, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Tall buildings do not constitute urban, would you say DC is not urban, the tallest buildings in DC are outside of the district. It is in the functional composition. The Galleria area feels like Tysons or KOP. A couple of tall buildings look a lttle different but driving/walking around the area it feels like it could plopped in just about any suburb in America and is exactly how it functions.
i am not saying that the tall building constituted an urban feel to houston.... but it did constitute a huge feel in my head. please respect my feelings

Old 08-27-2010, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post

Yes it is epic in Houston, in other areas we call it suburban

Old 08-27-2010, 12:55 PM

Quote:
i am not saying that the tall building constituted an urban feel to houston.... but it did constitute a huge feel in my head. please respect my feelings

the towers are more impressive than most structures in like settings, I will give you that

Old 08-27-2010, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
You know what..squash it..it's the internet. But migol, contrary to that belief, I am myself today and I only post what I feel.
no worries spade... feel free to feel.

Old 08-27-2010, 12:57 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,184,507 times
Quote:
well, you know... just tryna get my point across.
i'll be honest though... i consider my preference to be urban more so than sprawl. for one, cause i don't have a car by choice.... it's too freakin expensive and plus it's a great realization when you discover that having less liabilities = more money.
Well there ya go .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City