Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more urban and has more of a "big city" feel?
Houston 69 29.11%
Seattle 168 70.89%
Voters: 237. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 03:43 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by migol84 View Post
yes, absolutely... i think dallas is even much more overwhelming than houston but it's probably because i'm not entirely familiar with it. i lived in the area when i was around 10-14 years old.

the reason why i personally would prefer urban versus sprawl is because firstly it mostly suits my lifestyle and also cause in an urban atmosphere usually, not everything, but mostly things are relatively closer at walking distance, bike ride, or just hop on a bus and in 10 minutes you're there. it's more lively, more things going on, lights, buildings, people walking their dogs, homeless asking for money, hot girls passing you by.... and if you were a filmmaker like me, you'd appreciate that you can capture it all in one frame. that's pretty dramatic too and probably why it's more prevalent in films. in short, i prefer urban because it seems more "tidy" to me... everything is easier to get to and at your convenience.

sprawl on the other hand, everything seems entirely too far, hence a car is necessary. cities were not formatted to bring people back and forth like an urban atmosphere. and if there is public transportation you'd need 2 or 3 transfers to get from point a to point b. then there's miles and miles of shopping centers, houses, skyscrapers spread out, super malls, and cars cars cars. that too in it's own right is big.

they are entirely two separate things. it depends entirely on how you see it.
Intersting on the Filmaking aspect - makes sense in some ways, somehow visually capturing the vibrance - pretty cool

Old 08-27-2010, 03:47 PM

404 posts, read 1,030,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
This map clearly shows rural undeveloped land in Harris County:

Harris County - Texas Zip Code Boundary Map (TX)

Do you think those vast areas of single family subdivisions are going to allow densification in their neighborhoods? There is still room to sprawl even further out. I admit to not being an expert on Houston development policies, so is there some mechanism (natural, legal or otherwise) that prevents sprawl from continuing unabated?
We're not big on too many laws down here concerning sprawl.

Old 08-27-2010, 05:57 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
The Williams tower was once the tallest building outside a central business district in the US(I don't know if this is still the case), so no it is not like any suburb. Spade is not himself lately, he is not thinnking clearly
It still is.

Used to be tallest building in the world outside of a CBD, but I'm sure somewhere in Asia or the Middle East that record has been broken.

Old 08-27-2010, 06:01 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
It still is.

Used to be tallest building in the world outside of a CBD, but I'm sure somewhere in Asia or the Middle East that record has been broken.

There you go.
And that area is improving everytime I see it. It is stupid that people who are from places that have already been developed to come to a developing area and expect it to have the same development

Old 08-27-2010, 07:51 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,579,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migol84 View Post
I don't know what it was.... all I know is that I felt more overwhelmed in Houston than I did in San Francisco.

edit:

i'm just wondering though.... how is sprawl not "big city"?
Here's an example I'm familiar with: Drive north from Miami along the coast for 100 miles or so. Lotsa sprawl, no big city!

Old 08-27-2010, 08:03 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
There you go.
And that area is improving everytime I see it. It is stupid that people who are from places that have already been developed to come to a developing area and expect it to have the same development

well when it becomes non suburban then it will be, I am not expecting anything, so just report on what I see and feel.

Old 08-27-2010, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Here's an example I'm familiar with: Drive north from Miami along the coast for 100 miles or so. Lotsa sprawl, no big city!

I think you are confusing sprawl with low density. Here is an article of the 30 most sprawl threatened cities in the us:

Clickable Sprawl Map

There is urban sprawl and there is suburban sprawl

Old 08-27-2010, 08:08 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,868,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
read my other posts to see my frame of thought here.

and if you were to come to austin and san antonio you'd notice there is sprawl too.... but i don't see it anything near the monstrosity that houston is.

Old 08-27-2010, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
well when it becomes non suburban then it will be, I am not expecting anything, so just report on what I see and feel.

Just because the area is not as dense does not mean that it is suburban. That is stupid, and I would not have expected that kind of nonsense from you.

well then again I would, your posts are getting more and more silly

Old 08-27-2010, 11:44 PM

260 posts, read 757,564 times
This is getting old. We're arguing the same things over and over again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City