Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more urban and has more of a "big city" feel?
Houston 69 29.11%
Seattle 168 70.89%
Voters: 237. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 12:35 AM

3,717 posts, read 8,184,507 times

Advertisements

^ Welcome to City-Data.

Old 08-28-2010, 01:57 AM

2,057 posts, read 3,868,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Intersting on the Filmaking aspect - makes sense in some ways, somehow visually capturing the vibrance - pretty cool
it kinda makes you wonder why more films are made in chicago and new york. although los angeles gets a lot of attention it still is the only "sprawling" city most prevalent in films only cause it's where hollywood is. you don't see much films made in houston as much as you do in seattle that's for sure. i dunno, just me spreadin theories.... not that anyone cares.

Old 08-28-2010, 05:56 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Just because the area is not as dense does not mean that it is suburban. That is stupid, and I would not have expected that kind of nonsense from you.

well then again I would, your posts are getting more and more silly

We already established the Galleria area is suburban, it looks, feels, and functions as such. Why is that silly?

I did not say the downtown of Houston is suburban, only not as urban as the Seattle downtown.

There is nothing silly about my posts

Old 08-28-2010, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by migol84 View Post
it kinda makes you wonder why more films are made in chicago and new york. although los angeles gets a lot of attention it still is the only "sprawling" city most prevalent in films only cause it's where hollywood is. you don't see much films made in houston as much as you do in seattle that's for sure. i dunno, just me spreadin theories.... not that anyone cares.

The denser streets and architecture can help frame scenes and make the motion come alive. There are very few modern urbanity complexes showing up in movies, think they lack some of the character (look too disneyfied) for film.

Old 08-28-2010, 09:51 AM

882 posts, read 2,245,331 times
I guess Uptown Houston will feel less suburban when the LRT gets built there, but it's already got a lot of elements for an urban place. There are some big thoroughfares there that aren't too friendly for pedestrians, but sidewalks are everywhere, and it will be really connected to Houston's public transportation in the future. There are a lot of retailers there, from malls to boutiques to shopping centers, and etc.

Its more than just a suburban center though, with almost 24 million sq. ft. of office space, it is comparable to dowtown LA, Denver, and Pittsburgh. There's over 5 million sq. ft. of retail space. There are a few F500 companies HQ'd there, like Marathon Oil, making it a major economic center, with over 2000 companies maintaining operations here. It is also a major hotel center, and over a dozen foreign consulates are based there, from Argentina to Germany and Peru. Its more than just a sububurban center.

Old 08-28-2010, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthmoreAve View Post
I guess Uptown Houston will feel less suburban when the LRT gets built there, but it's already got a lot of elements for an urban place. There are some big thoroughfares there that aren't too friendly for pedestrians, but sidewalks are everywhere, and it will be really connected to Houston's public transportation in the future. There are a lot of retailers there, from malls to boutiques to shopping centers, and etc.

Its more than just a suburban center though, with almost 24 million sq. ft. of office space, it is comparable to dowtown LA, Denver, and Pittsburgh. There's over 5 million sq. ft. of retail space. There are a few F500 companies HQ'd there, like Marathon Oil, making it a major economic center, with over 2000 companies maintaining operations here. It is also a major hotel center, and over a dozen foreign consulates are based there, from Argentina to Germany and Peru. Its more than just a sububurban center.

Again these aspect do not discriminate, look at KOP outside of Philly or Tysons in NOVA - both I believe offer as much or more office space in a similar suburban composition, that is not unique at all...

not quite sure on the foreign consulates, that is an odd dynamic that is likely unique, odd but unique

Also on the rail, again many suburban centers are already served by this, again not unique

Really the unique part of this is a suburban center within the city boundaries, that is the more unique part

Old 08-28-2010, 10:08 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Again these aspect do not discriminate, look at KOP outside of Philly or Tysons in NOVA - both I believe offer as much or more office space in a similar suburban composition, that is not unique at all...

not quite sure on the foreign consulates, that is an odd dynamic that is likely unique, odd but unique

Also on the rail, again many suburban centers are already served by this, again not unique

Really the unique part of this is a suburban center within the city boundaries, that is the more unique part
It's not a suburban center; it has suburban qualities, but it's not a suburban center. Learn the difference; it's considered an edge city.

Old 08-28-2010, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
It's not a suburban center; it has suburban qualities, but it's not a suburban center. Learn the difference; it's considered an edge city.

Comparable edge cities for the most part are in the burbs and basically the exact same composition and considered suburban. I know the difference

When there is a more significant core these places pale in contrast to the main city that is the point, everyone is trying to prop these up as an urban enclave, they are not, maybe hybrid at best

Old 08-28-2010, 10:16 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Comparable edge cities for the most part are in the burbs and basically the exact same composition and considered suburban. I know the difference

When there is a more significant core these places pale in contrast to the main city that is the point, everyone is trying to prop these up as an urban enclave, they are not, maybe hybrid at best
Ok, but how is it a suburban center when it's located within the city limits?? (only about 7 miles from Downtown Houston).

Old 08-28-2010, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Ok, but how is it a suburban center when it's located within the city limits?? (only about 7 miles from Downtown Houston).

In function, makeup and feel it does not feel urban. yes it is in the city limits, as would be Tysons (Rosslyn and Arlington and maybe Silver Spring and Bethesda are even closer yet outside of DC) or almost KOP in that distance, Houston is almost 650 sq miles, most of which feels very suburban
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City