Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more urban and has more of a "big city" feel?
Houston 69 29.11%
Seattle 168 70.89%
Voters: 237. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 08:31 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,940,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
The reason why its a part of the argument is because they are getting swallowed with the urbaninity topic, so they need something to come back with.. GDP and Hospitals have nothing to do with how urban and big a city feels. So I think Houston posters need to do a better job explaining why Houston feels bigger.

look at you with your quick slight of hand. you should be a magician I like how quick you switch from being more urban to feeling bigger.

again none of us are saying that Seattle is less urban than Houston, we are saying Houston feels bigger than Seattle. That is where the GDP came in, and teh Medical center.

But its no point all you got to shout out is "la la la it is more urban, it is more urban" well hello. everyone and their godmother already knew it was more urban. You didn't have to start a thread for that.
Why don't you start one asking which is more urban San Francisco or Oklahoma city?

Threads are usually started on things of opinion and the only thing of opinion in the thread title is which feels bigger. SO like I have been saying from page one, whyt the heck did the question start out with which is more urban? the only thing I can see is that they wanted to handicap the race. And that is just low

Peace out Seattle. I still love you. I will be back again in November

Old 08-27-2010, 08:48 AM

1,717 posts, read 4,649,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post

again none of us are saying that Seattle is less urban than Houston, we are saying Houston feels bigger than Seattle.
Oh? Rocks in your pocket?

Which is more urban and has more of a "big city" feel?
Houston/42/30.22%
Seattle/97/69.78%

Old 08-27-2010, 08:50 AM

1,666 posts, read 2,840,482 times
Quote:
look at you with your quick slight of hand. you should be a magician I like how quick you switch from being more urban to feeling bigger.

again none of us are saying that Seattle is less urban than Houston, we are saying Houston feels bigger than Seattle. That is where the GDP came in, and teh Medical center.

But its no point all you got to shout out is "la la la it is more urban, it is more urban" well hello. everyone and their godmother already knew it was more urban. You didn't have to start a thread for that.
Why don't you start one asking which is more urban San Francisco or Oklahoma city?

Threads are usually started on things of opinion and the only thing of opinion in the thread title is which feels bigger. SO like I have been saying from page one, whyt the heck did the question start out with which is more urban? the only thing I can see is that they wanted to handicap the race. And that is just low

Peace out Seattle. I still love you. I will be back again in November

You still have not explained to everyone how does GDP and hospitals make a city feel bigger and urban???... The thread says which city is more urban and feels bigger it would be nice to see people stick too the top of this thread. Houston Feels bigger because of the Sprawl the huge Highways and all the skyscrapers from the ground or streets it doesnt feel bigger than Seattle. Seattle feels bigger when your at street level.. So in all both cities feel bigger in some form or fashion....

Old 08-27-2010, 08:52 AM

Quote:
you said it was all over the thread show us just one measely post to prve that you are not a lier
I see you continue to amaze. Any chance you're a long lost relative of Dan Quayle?

Old 08-27-2010, 08:58 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,212,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Loney

Houston/42/30.22%
Seattle/97/69.78%
Seattle is an amazing city which seems much larger,much more "big city".

Houston is a hybrid city/suburbia which seems sprawlish.

BL Make that 98/41. I voted Houston by mistake.

Old 08-27-2010, 09:41 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,527,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migol84 View Post
but it's still a part of the city.... no matter how you put it.
That's not the point. We all know it is in the city. The point is that the area is suburban and it would be a suburb if it was in any other place in America.

Quote:
I have been to some very urban areas in Europe where cars also rule.

Places where the primary mode of transport is by car has nothing to do with wether the place is urban or not. The automobile encouraged flight to the burbs but not all areas where cars rule are very suburban.
Quote:
yeah... i couldn't get the part either about "cars rule" constituting a suburb either. i scratched my head a little and thought about responding.
That's because you're both looking to much into my comment and/or you don't understand what everyone else is talking about when it comes to urbanity. In America suburban areas, cars rule. Everything is centered around it. The Galleria is filled with wide avenues with big box stores, giant parking lots, narrow sidewalks, and all that contributes to the environment of American suburban life. And here's the difference between your point about Europe and the Galleria area even though Europe has nothing to do with how America built it's suburbs. Those very urban areas in Europe STILL do not revolve or center around the car. Suburban areas in this country like the Galleria, does.

Quote:
True to a point, but I do see pedestrians crossing Westheimer & Post Oak all of the time. What can be said for that?
Nothing can be said about that. The area is still suburban. Equal to that of Schaumburg in Illinois or Tyson's Corner in Virginia. Just because you have a bunch of tall buildings does not mean it is urban.

Old 08-27-2010, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post

Nothing can be said about that. The area is still suburban. Equal to that of Schaumburg in Illinois or Tyson's Corner in Virginia. Just because you have a bunch of tall buildings does not mean it is urban.
But, but, but...they are really, really tall and they oooze GDP.

Old 08-27-2010, 11:04 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,436,427 times
This is all very subjective. The fact that you used the word "feel" in your discription makes it have to be subjective. Really though. Seattle may actually "feel" more urban and "big city like" when you only look at certain parts of seattle in comparison to certain parts of Houston but when you look at the big picture and actually compare All of Seattle to All of Houston you can't help but say the urbanized area of Houston is more urban and definitely bigger than the urbanized area of Seattle. When you look at it comprehensively there's really not any comparison.

Old 08-27-2010, 12:05 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,868,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
....I think Houston posters need to do a better job explaining why Houston feels bigger.
That is clearly subjective..... why is this even a big deal???????????

Old 08-27-2010, 12:07 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,868,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Loney View Post

Houston/42/30.22%
Seattle/97/69.78%
that is why HtownLove is suggesting that the thread is very misleading.... "urban" vs "big city feel" are completely different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City