Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you rather live in Charlotte or Knoxville?
Knoxville 7 26.92%
Charlotte 19 73.08%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 05:29 PM

406 posts, read 1,431,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
From everything you've posted, it seems as though Knoxville is more your speed.

Yea, I have realized that there is a bias built in because i'm having people comparing a large city to mid-sized city on top of that most people responding are FROM Charlotte, so that is gonn have an impact non people's answers. But that's the conclusion im comein too is Knoxville. Your right...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2010, 05:39 PM

174 posts, read 403,785 times
Charlotte and Columbus are VERY similar. Charlotte being a bit newer and trendier. Since you live in C'Bus currently, that should give you a decent feel for what Charlotte is like.

Crime??? Crime is not any better or worse in Charlotte than what you are experiencing in C'Bus. Numbers are very similar. And don't assume just because it's smaller that Knoxville has less crime. Actually the two cities have a very similar crime rate. Knoxville actually has a higher murder rate.

Charlotte - new, clean, very professional, kinda yuppie, mostly transplants, great family town, pro sports, 2 hours to mountains, 3.5 hours to beach

Knoxville - older, grittier, college town mixed with old money and some new transplants, UT Vols - lots of bright orange....everywhere...in the foothills of the Smokies...

Both are great cities with tremendous amounts of sprawl, yet great livable suburbs and revitalized downtowns (on much different scales).

I've called Charlotte home for 11 years and absolutely love it. But, you seem to be favoring Knoxville. I would never tell anyone not to move there. It's a great city that I could be more than happy living in.

Don't know why you are leaving Columbus, but if it's to experience something different...Knoxville is probably your best best. Just feel comfortable knowing...no matter which you choose, you are moving to a great city.

Old 08-20-2010, 06:53 PM

1,374 posts, read 3,253,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCbyChoice View Post
Charlotte and Columbus are VERY similar. Charlotte being a bit newer and trendier. Since you live in C'Bus currently, that should give you a decent feel for what Charlotte is like.

Crime??? Crime is not any better or worse in Charlotte than what you are experiencing in C'Bus. Numbers are very similar. And don't assume just because it's smaller that Knoxville has less crime. Actually the two cities have a very similar crime rate. Knoxville actually has a higher murder rate.

Charlotte - new, clean, very professional, kinda yuppie, mostly transplants, great family town, pro sports, 2 hours to mountains, 3.5 hours to beach

Knoxville - older, grittier, college town mixed with old money and some new transplants, UT Vols - lots of bright orange....everywhere...in the foothills of the Smokies...

Both are great cities with tremendous amounts of sprawl, yet great livable suburbs and revitalized downtowns (on much different scales).

I've called Charlotte home for 11 years and absolutely love it. But, you seem to be favoring Knoxville. I would never tell anyone not to move there. It's a great city that I could be more than happy living in.

Don't know why you are leaving Columbus, but if it's to experience something different...Knoxville is probably your best best. Just feel comfortable knowing...no matter which you choose, you are moving to a great city.
I feel that this is a grossly unbalanced comparison between Charlotte & Knoxville ... Charlotte is many times larger than Knoxville, offering all of the amenities of a large, cosmopolitan metropolis ... a fact that isn't common to a city such as Knoxville.

I've been to Knoxville and I lived in Charlotte, there's absolutely no "fair minded comparison" between these two cities.
Knoxville is a semi attractive and vibrant city for it's size though ... I love it's physical setting near the Smoky Mountains.

Old 08-20-2010, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDBaumgardner View Post
I feel that this is a grossly unbalanced comparison between Charlotte & Knoxville ... Charlotte is many times larger than Knoxville, offering all of the amenities of a large, cosmopolitan metropolis ... a fact that isn't common to a city such as Knoxville.

I've been to Knoxville and I lived in Charlotte, there's absolutely no "fair minded comparison" between these two cities.
Knoxville is a semi attractive and vibrant city for it's size though ... I love it's physical setting near the Smoky Mountains.
What's unbalanced about my post? I never stated the sizes of the cities were similar. The OP clearly understands the differences in size between the cities in question. What did I say that wasn't accurate?

Old 08-20-2010, 07:42 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,860,458 times
We need to keep in mind that this isn't your typical city vs. city throwdown. We're talking about someone with specific preferences, and in this case, Knoxville comes closer to what the OP is looking for. I know we tend to have the "bigger is better" mentality around here when we're comparing cities, but that works out very differently when someone is actually looking for a place to call home for a few years.

Old 08-20-2010, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
We need to keep in mind that this isn't your typical city vs. city throwdown. We're talking about someone with specific preferences, and in this case, Knoxville comes closer to what the OP is looking for. I know we tend to have the "bigger is better" mentality around here when we're comparing cities, but that works out very differently when someone is actually looking for a place to call home for a few years.
This is quite true and worthy of pointing out in this particular thread ...

Old 08-20-2010, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCbyChoice View Post
What's unbalanced about my post? I never stated the sizes of the cities were similar. The OP clearly understands the differences in size between the cities in question. What did I say that wasn't accurate?

I didn't say your post was "unbalanced" at all ... it certainly is not the case.

What I meant is, comparing a city like Charlotte to Knoxville, seems extremely unbalanced ... they're not even in the same league or tier.

Old 08-20-2010, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDBaumgardner View Post
I didn't say your post was "unbalanced" at all ... it certainly is not the case.

What I meant is, comparing a city like Charlotte to Knoxville, seems extremely unbalanced ... they're not even in the same league or tier.
I gotcha...I guess I was confused why you had my post quoted in your post. No biggie....and I agree. It's really hard to compare apples to oranges, but then again some of us have a hard time deciding between the two....I know... I've been there.

Old 08-20-2010, 09:24 PM

7,731 posts, read 13,426,216 times
Charlotte.

Old 08-20-2010, 09:28 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,843,518 times
knoxville is more beautiful, but i'd rather live in charlotte
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City