Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 08:12 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times

Advertisements

I've found that I can always get out of a ticket by crying, it seems to make the trooper very uncomfortable and often he will just walk a way muttering and not even give me a warning
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2016, 11:25 AM

2,753 posts, read 3,314,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I've found that I can always get out of a ticket by crying, it seems to make the trooper very uncomfortable and often he will just walk a way muttering and not even give me a warning
I can't get away with that even if I tried lol. The "I have to go to the bathroom" and "I wasn't aware of my speed" excuse is probably used in about a half of all traffic stops IMHO. I can guarantee those that use that excuse know how fast they were going. I'm sure practically everyone looks down at their speedometer when they see the flashing lights behind them. I've been pulled over 3 times and never got a ticket. The trick is to be respectful and make them feel comfortable. Show that you care about their safety such as rolling down your windows, turn on your interior light, and place your car keys on the dash so the cop can see them. Stuff like that goes a long way. Remember to always tell the officer what your intentions are. So if you're reaching for your wallet, tell him. It'll make him feel more comfortable especially since traffic stops are extremely dangerous. If the officer asks how fast were you going just say, "I'm aware that I was speeding. I don't know how fast exactly I was going but I know in the ballpark I was going 75-80mph. However, when you turned on your lights I looked down at my speedometer I was going a little over the limit". This is just an example but I've never gotten an ticket using similar sentences like that. Don't make excuses if he asks you why you were speeding. They've heard it all before. Honesty goes a long way but there's no real answer on how to get out of s ticket. Every officer is different. Some have already decided whether they're going to ticket you or not before they step out of their patrol car.

Old 05-31-2016, 12:22 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,895,906 times
I drive all over the country and Virginia is by far the worst. Plus you can get some pretty serious points and violations such as reckless driving in VA for speeding.

Ohio is the runner up, but pretty far down from VA.

Most other states seem about the same to me.

I drive up the Jersey Turnpike all the time between Philly and NYC and where it's wide with truck/car lanes (6-8 lanes each direction), I run 85-90 the entire way along with a lots of other drivers.

In Maryland, they will get you on the lower volume highways where it's safe to pull people over and it won't trigger a delay/backup and other crashes. For example, the ICC or US50 east of the beltway and across on both sides of the bay bridge during non peak times. Most cops on the MD side of DC will drive casually with the traffic at 10-15 over.

In bigger high speed metros like Miami, LA, Chicago, Dallas, Houston, Atlanta etc, there is little speed enforcement. Traffic moves better when they are not trying to slow it down.

Last edited by kcmo; 05-31-2016 at 12:33 PM..

Old 05-31-2016, 12:52 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,483,414 times
Indiana and Ohio do more speed checks than any other states around me.

Old 05-31-2016, 01:08 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,895,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
I can't get away with that even if I tried lol. The "I have to go to the bathroom" and "I wasn't aware of my speed" excuse is probably used in about a half of all traffic stops IMHO. I can guarantee those that use that excuse know how fast they were going. I'm sure practically everyone looks down at their speedometer when they see the flashing lights behind them. I've been pulled over 3 times and never got a ticket. The trick is to be respectful and make them feel comfortable. Show that you care about their safety such as rolling down your windows, turn on your interior light, and place your car keys on the dash so the cop can see them. Stuff like that goes a long way. Remember to always tell the officer what your intentions are. So if you're reaching for your wallet, tell him. It'll make him feel more comfortable especially since traffic stops are extremely dangerous. If the officer asks how fast were you going just say, "I'm aware that I was speeding. I don't know how fast exactly I was going but I know in the ballpark I was going 75-80mph. However, when you turned on your lights I looked down at my speedometer I was going a little over the limit". This is just an example but I've never gotten an ticket using similar sentences like that. Don't make excuses if he asks you why you were speeding. They've heard it all before. Honesty goes a long way but there's no real answer on how to get out of s ticket. Every officer is different. Some have already decided whether they're going to ticket you or not before they step out of their patrol car.
Very true. Most cops are totally cool if you are respectful and honest with them. Now if you have drugs in your car or are drunk or are breaking laws other than minor traffic violations, I'm sure things could be different, but if you are not doing anything wrong and are respectful, 9 times out of ten, the cop is totally cool whether they give you a ticket or not. I mean if you are speeding, you are speeding. No reason to be a prick to the cop who is just doing their job.

Old 05-31-2016, 07:22 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,929,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Has anybody ever really gotten out of a ticket by offering sex to a trooper? I saw that in a movie once. Well actually, it was more than once. In fact I think there's a whole website with movies that follow that plot line.

But I digress ...

Years ago, I got pulled over for speeding on the way to an aunt's funeral. I was running late and not sure where I was going, etc. Here was the conversation:

COP: Where are you going in such a hurry son?
ME: My aunt's funeral. I'm late and lost.
COP: You'll be going to your own funeral if you don't slow down!

I got the ticket and missed the funeral.

Old 05-31-2016, 07:44 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,899,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Indiana and Ohio do more speed checks than any other states around me.
When we did a cross crountry trip a couple of years Indiana just seemed to be swarming with very aggressive patrols, Illinois a little less so and then Ohio also seemed to be a place where drivers were very wary, with cop cars hiding along many underpasses like Indiana. Virginia is so notorious you have to be crazy to speed there. Arizona also seems to be right up there.

As others have mostly noted California is the exact opposite. Maybe in rural highways mostly in the northern part of the state you have to watch your speed but in the massive freeway systems in urban Southern California you have to be driving like a near maniac, or at least demonstrably aggressive to be pulled over here for speeding- they will nail you for other offenses but if the rest of the traffic is going 80 in a 70 and you are doing likewise staying in one lane, preferably the #2 lane, you are golden. You would almost never be pulled over for driving with the flow of traffic regardless if you were speeding if that flow and speed seems safe and prudent. Driving up 15N from San Diego to Riverside County is like a friggin autobahn, drive 75-80 and be passed constantly by most other drivers, CHP present or not.

City driving with local cops is a whole other story.

Old 05-31-2016, 07:50 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,547,230 times
As a Virginian, can confirm about Virginia State Police being the worst.

Second worst is having a California plate and driving through the Midwest.

Old 05-31-2016, 10:02 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,884,129 times
Driver: "Can you just give me a warning?"

Cop: "Yes, I can warn you I am about to write you a ticket".

Nice.

Old 05-31-2016, 10:33 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,502,433 times
I only read the first page of this thread so idk what everyone else is saying but...

Virginia is by far most notorious in my book. Straight up, I don't speed when driving in Virginia. Interstate, state highways, city streets, don't care. Pass me, locals. I'll go 5mph over on the interstate, tops. Just today as I was driving from DC back to Durham NC on 95/85 I mentioned to my girlfriend how bad VA is, and on the way back we counted 6 people pulled over. Multiple unmarked cruisers chillin' in PAVED "driveways" that connect either side of the interstate - "authorized vehicled only", probably one of those paved driveways every mile if not more (through the rural sections - Richmond and NoVa not so much). Several signs for crap like "speed enforced by radar" and "speed enforced by aircraft" like WTF Virginia aircraft really?

So yeah, Virginia worst for me sort of by a long shot. Tennessee along I-40 is pretty bad too - I've driven the length of 40 through TN too many times and frequently see TN state troopers just prowlin'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City