Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2010, 12:09 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,933,707 times

Advertisements

old Houston postcard:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 12:11 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,860,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Yeah that is basically what all major cities looked back in the day. And by major I mean a city of 20 000 people.

That is pretty much what Houston looked likein the 1800s
True. Had we preserved most of that, we still wouldn't have the density of St. Louis or Cincinnati, but it would be noticeably more than we have now.

Old 08-27-2010, 01:01 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,972,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Why isn't San Antonio or Austin getting any love??? I've heard Charlotte too many times (lay off the crack people).
Umm, I think I saw Charlotte get mentioned at least three times, and Austin has been mentioned more than that! Austin is getting a lot of love!

Old 08-27-2010, 01:54 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,956,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
So now the South has extended up past D.C. into Baltimore. I thought the furthest General Lee made it before he got stopped was the outskirts of D.C. . Please for the sake of this thread don't try and say D.C. or Baltimore are in the South. The place will quickly be flooded with a gang of East Coasters that hate the South writing page after page of insulting remarks about how D.C. is not part of the South because they can read, actually take baths everyday, etc. etc. It will get real ugly real fast trust me.
It's not me, I've been saying Baltimore isnt the south for the longest. People keep telling me different, Im tired of arguing about it. So, Baltimore is the South.

Old 08-27-2010, 02:53 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny View Post
I don't and thats coming from an Asian person who has seen Mississippi, Arkansas, Alabama, North Florida, among other Southern states and areas.
I live in one of those cities that you think is southern, no one there talks like this:

YouTube - Tim McGraw - Southern Voice(Official Video)

No one talks like that. No one dresses like that. No one around me even listens to country music, I know only a few people who like country, but they all like another genre of music more.

What Matt said ^. I entirely agree with his statement.

TexasReb we've been through this like 842934 times haha, you know I'm not going to change my perception!
In all actuality when Asian & Hispanic people come to Texas they come for Texas, not the South. Lol, if that makes any sense?

I guess it depends on who you are and what you like, to me at age 20, its a lot of fun. So for me the hype is met, I suppose I could put it that way. Lol!

Anyways I think I've derailed this thread enough here!
Honestly, I think Austin And San Antonio are the odd men out, when it comes to "Southernness" in Texas. My GOD is Austin different from areas in East Texas.

Old 08-27-2010, 02:59 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
You might be VERY surprised!

I have been fortunate enough to travel the Caribbean pretty extensively, and almost all of the locals (no mattter what island/Country) think of Miami as their "Big City."

It's almost surreal at times.
It's crazy, but when you REALLY think about how close Fort Lauderdale and Miami are to The Bahamas, then it seems pretty logical. I don't think people realize how close they are, so when people here a term like "Caribbean North" and Tropical, they kinda roll there eyes in sarcasm. Freeport really isn't that far from Fort Lauderdale, and Miami isn't that far from Nassau.

Old 08-27-2010, 04:07 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,481,890 times
People don't realize that parts of the Bahamas are farther north than Miami.

Old 08-27-2010, 04:49 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,248,041 times
Nassau is only about a 30-45 minute flight from Miami

Old 08-27-2010, 06:03 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,983,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
Hollywood has been Jacking up Southern accents forever. So often you'll see someone supposed to be from Atlanta speaking as if they are a cajun from Louisiana or cowboy from Texas I guess it all sounds the same to Northern ears.
Unless you're a true Southern actor like Matthew MacConaughey. He's actually from Longview, Texas which is about 40 miles East of where I live in Tyler, Texas. East Texans tend to have a deeper Southern accent than anywhere else in Texas.

Old 08-27-2010, 08:11 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,601,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Unless you're a true Southern actor like Matthew MacConaughey. He's actually from Longview, Texas which is about 40 miles East of where I live in Tyler, Texas. East Texans tend to have a deeper Southern accent than anywhere else in Texas.
Metro Matt? I don't want to always seem to be arguing/disupting you (because I respect your points of view for one thing), but I have to quibble a bit.

East Texans tend to have more of that classic "drawl" of the Deep South for sure. But on the other hand, that "twang" of the Upper/Mountain South is well entrenched in rural West Texas, from which it is directly decended (the dialect heard in eastern Tennesse and north Alabama are first cousins at the least). In fact, I would say

Southern American English involves quite a range of speech sub-patterns across the southeastern and south-central parts of the country, so I would respectfully suggest that "deeper" isn't quite the right qualifier. IMHO, twang and drawl would better fit in terms of "division" amongst Southerners.

Last edited by TexasReb; 08-27-2010 at 08:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City