Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Minnesota vs. Texas: Upper Midwest vs. Western South
Minnesota 36 37.11%
Texas 58 59.79%
Neither 3 3.09%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 12:09 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,601,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post
If you notice, the Texas boosters couldn't care less about quality-of-life factors.
What exactly do you mean by "quality of life" factors? I am genuinely curious here.

It has been my experience that when this term is used, it is highly subjective. And often related to the availablity of state social service programs. What is generally NOT factored in, is the high taxation rates it costs to provide them.

So, "quality of life" can mean different things to different people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2010, 12:39 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,435,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
What exactly do you mean by "quality of life" factors? I am genuinely curious here.

It has been my experience that when this term is used, it is highly subjective. And often related to the availablity of state social service programs. What is generally NOT factored in, is the high taxation rates it costs to provide them.

They're going to bring up low unemployment rates (North Dakota,Kansas, have lower than Minn. does that automatically make them the best States in the Union?)

Low dropout rate. Never mind that if a student in Texas doesn't drop out (like millions don't) they can go on to better colleges than what Minnesota has.

Low crime rate. Even though the Twin Cities has a rising gang problem and you can easily get hurt, robbed, etc. there if you're not smart. The majority of other places in Minn. are rural, very small, all white towns the likes of which tend to have low crime rates anywhere in the U.S.

Then they'll try and say they have more favorable weather. As if being subjected to -40 degree temperatures is some how less unpleasant than coping with 90 degree weather.

Old 09-11-2010, 01:06 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,409,881 times
Minnesota has very few "all white" (as in 100% white) towns. Also, the Twin Cities are not the only decent-sized cities in Minnesota. The state also has Duluth, Rochester, Mankato, Moorhead, St. Cloud and Bemidji.

Old 09-11-2010, 01:32 PM

423 posts, read 823,772 times
I'm a native Texan who also happened to live in Minnesota, so in my opinion:

Progressiveness - Minnesota
Economy - Texas
Culture - Texas
Music - Neither
Weather - Neither
Scenery - Neither
Cities - Texas
Rural areas - Minnesota
Education - Texas
Safety - Minnesota

Bottomline, neither Texas nor Minnesota would have been my first choice if I could choose freely where to move. But then again, I'm not a big fan of state vs. state comparison.

Old 09-11-2010, 02:26 PM

965 posts, read 1,884,754 times
Quote:

Please, it has nothing to do with social service programs, but nice Neo-con assumption to make right there.

Believe it or not, I actually have somewhat of a libertarian streak in me. I believe that over-dependence on the government has kept a lot of my people mentally enslaved to a huge extent. But that's a whole other thread I could pontificate on.

However, I do look at taxation as a necessary burden. I don't like high taxes, but there are things that have to be paid for (fire service, emergency service, roads, schools, etc). What I feel and what you feel are probably totally different, and I don't feel like going into extreme details, and like you said, I find those sort of things to be highly subjective.

I'm referring to issues such as air quality, lower crime, cleanliness, schools, etc.

Last edited by Overcooked_Oatmeal; 09-11-2010 at 02:37 PM..

Old 09-11-2010, 02:54 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,601,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post
Please, it has nothing to do with social service programs, but nice Neo-con assumption to make right there.
Uh, "please", stop getting so defensive. I just asked. And by the way, I am not a neo-conservative. Paleo, yes, but not neo.

Believe it or not, I actually have somewhat of a libertarian streak in me. I believe that over-dependence on the government has kept a lot of my people mentally enslaved to a huge extent. But that's a whole other thread I could pontificate on.

Quote:
However, I do look at taxation as a necessary burden. I don't like high taxes, but there are things that have to be paid for (fire service, emergency service, roads, schools, etc). What I feel and what you feel are probably totally different, and I don't feel like going into extreme details, and like you said, I find those sort of things to be highly subjective.
Then we might generally agree here.

Quote:
I'm referring to issues such as air quality, lower crime, cleanliness, schools, etc.
Fair enough. But why do you accuse Texans of ranking the above as low-priority items?

Old 09-11-2010, 04:01 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,867,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
This is my first post. Go back and brush up on your reading comprehension:

"Whatever all you nerds keep talking about, Minnesota is just overall a better state. You can cry all you want, but when it boils down to happiness, safety, affordablity, and quality of life, Minnesota overall is just a better state. PERIOD.

...and it's quite ironic that I have met a handful of people that have lived in both states (Actually I have three friends that live in TX now, -Dallas, Houston and Fort Worth) and each of them has something on their Facebook Status claiming how crappy it is there and how they 'cannot wait' to get back to Minnesota. Now I know everyone loves their homes, but I also have a friend from TX who still claims MN is better""

The bolded part is based off of numerous polls, surveys and lists found around the web and in print media. I even provided numerous links in my following post. So, again, nowhere did I come off as a peeing contest. If I would have posted something like "Texas sucks, and Minnesota is better because we have move lakes!" then maybe you can say that but sorry you're wrong.
You really don't get it.

Old 09-11-2010, 04:02 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,673,910 times
Quote:

nuh uh

Quality of life - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-11-2010, 04:03 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,673,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migol84 View Post
You really don't get it.
Don't get what? That MN beats out TX in all those categories. Sorry pal but I don't place votes based off of "Big Cities" and "Scenery".

Old 09-11-2010, 04:16 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,867,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
Don't get what? That MN beats out TX in all those categories. Sorry pal but I don't place votes based off of "Big Cities" and "Scenery".
You are saying that you are not making this a "peeing contest". Your posts continue to sound as if you are. Yes, you don't get it. It's showing that you are very defensive about your state. I haven't even pointed out anything that would make Texas a better state than Minnesota. I've already conceded that Minnesota seems like a great State to visit someday, but it's these types of attitudes that will continue to change my opinion. I've made it clear that I don't care what is "voted" or much less based off of "Big Cities" or "Scenery". My point has been entirely diplomatic and somehow you seem to be going off topic here. I guess I was right when I said that this post is clearly destined to run in circles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City