Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will LA remian the Capital west of the Mississippi
Yes 38 57.58%
No 28 42.42%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 01:43 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Scholar View Post
You noticed that I have a few dozen post but don't know why my rep is high for a new member? Maybe because people like what I post. I don't refer LA as a "hell hole" it's just what it seems on this site. I love LA but I'm not going to boost it, only when it deserves to be, one must travel outside of California to know what else is good in the nation. Chicago is by far the best place I've been to ( Outside of California). I'm on this thread a lot because it's amazing how "Some" people can't admit that Houston will pass LA economically, but not population wise. If Houston can grow a 200 billion GDP to 400 billion in 4 years how can't it pass LA economically? The population is 6 million in Houston's MSA. Compared to LA's MSA 632 billion GDP, and LA's MSA population is 12.8 million. This is coming from a Angelino. I don't mean to disrespect LA in anyway. Just got to give Houston some props. Going through some of these threads I seen hatred toward Houston, Phoenix, Miami, and Los Angeles.
Love Chicago, with you on that.

I'm more doubtful with Houston. Things aren't in stasis, and I don't think Houston can sustain the same kind of boom it's had in the last several years and I don't believe Los Angeles will start sliding all that terribly. To me, Los Angeles does seem to be getting itself sorted out in a significant way. From many ends, the city seems to recognize what's been happening and is taking steps. High-tech industries are slowly, but surely establishing themselves within the city. The mayor and city council have at least recognized the exodus of major corporations from the city. Mass transit has vastly improved in the city within the last couple decades. Neighborhoods that were formerly decrepit are becoming gentrified and crime has continually gone down (though that's true for most of the nation's big cities). The bubble in housing prices was bad, but the subsequent bust is readjusting the prices to something more affordable. The city is far from the wasteland it is usually painted as.

Old 09-27-2010, 08:41 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,933,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I'm more doubtful with Houston. Things aren't in stasis, and I don't think Houston can sustain the same kind of boom it's had in the last several years and I don't believe Los Angeles will start sliding all that terribly. To me, Los Angeles does seem to be getting itself sorted out in a significant way.
I am in sort of agreement with you there. Houston population skyrocketed for a couple of year, but has slowed in this recession. I don't know if it would have kept on growing had the last two year not been so bad. Los Angeles still has over 200 Billion on it so I don't know about catching up.

Experts were expecting it to have a similar sized GDP by 2030, however these same experts were predicting that Houston would have a 2010 DGP that is 25% less than what its actual 2010 GDP is. (that is over 100Billion less than the actual). Houston is constantly underestimated.

Then again, we don't know what new thing is gonna pop up and what LA would capitalize on.

We just don't know what will happen in the future, but we cannot knock out Houston. That city still has a potential to do mighty things. I think if Houston was in Chicago's position ( no competition within its own state), Houston would have long been on Chicago's level.

Old 09-27-2010, 10:46 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times
Is LA the capital of the West? Well, it is without a doubt the most important city in the West, so I will go with yes.

Old 09-27-2010, 11:12 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,384,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Scholar View Post
You noticed that I have a few dozen post but don't know why my rep is high for a new member? Maybe because people like what I post. I don't refer LA as a "hell hole" it's just what it seems on this site. I love LA but I'm not going to boost it, only when it deserves to be, one must travel outside of California to know what else is good in the nation. Chicago is by far the best place I've been to ( Outside of California). I'm on this thread a lot because it's amazing how "Some" people can't admit that Houston will pass LA economically, but not population wise. If Houston can grow a 200 billion GDP to 400 billion in 4 years how can't it pass LA economically? The population is 6 million in Houston's MSA. Compared to LA's MSA 632 billion GDP, and LA's MSA population is 12.8 million. This is coming from a Angelino. I don't mean to disrespect LA in anyway. Just got to give Houston some props. Going through some of these threads I seen hatred toward Houston, Phoenix, Miami, and Los Angeles.
To be honest, I don't believe you live in Los Angeles and have noticed how some posters portray themselves as a resident of a certain city only to use it as a way to thrash the place. Maybe I am wrong but that's how I view new posters who spend all their time on a certain thread.

Old 09-27-2010, 01:33 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
I have yet to see any good arguments on political power coming from LA more so than Northern California. Can somebody actually try to justify LA being the "capital" ? This has been largely the case since the exit of the Reagan era. The current governor race is also a battle of the Bay... Jerry Brown (former governor) vs Meg Whitman (Ebay exec). To reiterate, the best education institutions, financial institutions, powerful senators, and political think tanks are in the Bay Area. Not LA.

Anyway this has turned into a population projection thread via OP... so answer is probably no. I think population is a weak way to define power or any regard to capital though.

Last edited by grapico; 09-27-2010 at 01:53 PM..

Old 09-27-2010, 02:32 PM

749 posts, read 1,862,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I have yet to see any good arguments on political power coming from LA more so than Northern California. Can somebody actually try to justify LA being the "capital" ? This has been largely the case since the exit of the Reagan era. The current governor race is also a battle of the Bay... Jerry Brown (former governor) vs Meg Whitman (Ebay exec). To reiterate, the best education institutions, financial institutions, powerful senators, and political think tanks are in the Bay Area. Not LA.

Anyway this has turned into a population projection thread via OP... so answer is probably no. I think population is a weak way to define power or any regard to capital though.
Based on the current crop of candidates for Governor and Senate I think you are correct.

Of course, given the current state of California's budget and political paralysis, who really wants the job??

Philosophically (or ideologically) speaking the LA and Bay Area regions are close cousins in terms of politics. Even during the Regan era the City of Los Angeles voted majority in FAVOR of the Democratic nominee for President (and AGAINST Reagan despite LA being his adopted hometown).

Of course, Arnold Schwarzenegger does hail from Los Angeles and came to California as a 21 year old immigrant with very limited abilty to speak English. I did NOT vote for Schwarzenegger but he is an "immigrant" Governor in the state with the most immigrants. That is not a bad message to send about the social mobility of the USA (and California).

I think the last 5 speakers of the California State Assembly have all been LA based politicians including the current one: John Perez, the first openly gay Latino elected to the state legislature.

Last point, most pollsters have noted that Latinos will be the major swing vote in the current crop of statewide races. Latinos have the strongest presence in the southern part of the state with LA as the base. So LA will be working "behind the scenes" to make its presence felt even if the eventual winners are all bay area politicians.

Old 09-27-2010, 02:48 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:

Aye. The Bay Area has most of the regional branches of federal institutions, the headquarters of the UC system, the California Supreme Court, closer proximity to the state capital, the home base of both of CA's Senators as well as the current Speaker of the House. The Bay Area is politically well placed despite not being a capital.

Old 09-27-2010, 02:58 PM

3,390 posts, read 4,949,410 times
I think that Houston or the DFW area may surpass LA at some point. And believe me (at least for the DFW area) that is NOT wishful thinking. There are already too many people in the DFW area now IMO. I can't speak for the good people of Houston.

Old 09-27-2010, 03:01 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzpost View Post
I think that Houston or the DFW area may surpass LA at some point. And believe me (at least for the DFW area) that is NOT wishful thinking. There are already too many people in the DFW area now IMO. I can't speak for the good people of Houston.
DFW or Houston pass LA in what? Importance? Size?

Probably not in our lifetimes.

Old 09-27-2010, 03:07 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times
Quote:

This is the first time in 27 years that the governor will come from Northern CA, before they've all come from Southern CA, usually LA except for Pete Wilson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City