Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one do you deem more desirable to your preference?
Washington, DC: All the way! 119 35.63%
Seattle: All the way! 113 33.83%
I like Washington DC more slightly 45 13.47%
I like Seattle more slightly 39 11.68%
Confused/Other 18 5.39%
Voters: 334. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 08:03 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,154,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Maybe humidity doesn't bother you as much as it does me...I hate it. When I lived in DC, the humidity bothered me for 5+ months. I thought the overall climate in DC was one of the worst I've experienced and I've lived all over the world. The reason is that the spring and summer were humid and the winter was cold and damp. I just checked and it was like over 90 there today and t's 21 September...so I stand by my comments....DC weather sux to me.

As I said, I don't love Seattle's climate but we do have 5 months of awesome weather from June-Oct. I would rate Seattle climate C and DC a D-.
No one said DC's doesn't get hot and humid but it's not the norm in September. The temp was about 86 this weekend but now its back in the 70's. Seattle's weather is really depressing hence the high rate of suicides.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2014, 08:30 AM

604 posts, read 1,520,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
No one said DC's doesn't get hot and humid but it's not the norm in September. The temp was about 86 this weekend but now its back in the 70's. Seattle's weather is really depressing hence the high rate of suicides.

DC summers are to hot and humid for me. I much prefer Seattle.

DC has quite the amazing history, and some great amentities. But it really lacks in any great outdoor oppurtunities. Ultimately I think Seattle is a much more fun place to visit. Not only do you have a great downtown, you have access to the outdoors, Puget Sound, The Casacades, and the Olympics.

The area outside of DC is mostly suburbs, not much interesting to see from a geological, and natural perspective.

Old 09-22-2014, 08:59 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,741,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcouger View Post
I would understand that Bloomingdale and Saks aren't opening many stores the prominent high end profitable store is Nordstrom .

Every major city (NYC, Chicago, Los Angeles, Washington D.C., San Francisco, Boston, etc.) has a Saks 5th Avenue and Bloomingdales. The most prominent and wealthy cities have two of each like Washington D.C. We have had these stores for decades. Why would these high-end stores expand to smaller less affluent markets without the means to support them? They can only turn profits in large world-class cities and they have had a presence in those cities for years.

Also, Nordstrom is like Macy's. They're everywhere in D.C. We have 5 different Nordstroms all across D.C. about 10-15 minutes apart from each other. Its just a normal store here.

Old 09-22-2014, 11:06 AM

1,581 posts, read 2,823,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Every major city (NYC, Chicago, Los Angeles, Washington D.C., San Francisco, Boston, etc.) has a Saks 5th Avenue and Bloomingdales. The most prominent and wealthy cities have two of each like Washington D.C. We have had these stores for decades. Why would these high-end stores expand to smaller less affluent markets without the means to support them? They can only turn profits in large world-class cities and they have had a presence in those cities for years.

Also, Nordstrom is like Macy's. They're everywhere in D.C. We have 5 different Nordstroms all across D.C. about 10-15 minutes apart from each other. Its just a normal store here.
In the city of D.C. there is 5 Nordstrom . Anyway the question was how many are downtown D.C..

Old 09-22-2014, 11:24 AM

1,581 posts, read 2,823,491 times
Quote:

Actually do.you realize Nordstrom is a direct competitor with Saks and Bloomingdales just Nordstrom is doing much better there is more Nordstrom than Saks and Bloomingdales combined.

Old 09-22-2014, 11:41 AM

342 posts, read 510,893 times
I am from the PNW and live in DC now. Seattle is an isolated city, and there is nothing wrong with that. It is good for what it is. It is better than Vancouver and Portland, and maybe the locals have an inflated ego because of this. But in the grand scheme of things it cant compete with DC. Seattle has bad (and I mean very bad) weather, the men are passive aggressive and for lack of better words just losers, people are very cold and unfriendly. The economy is DC area is also much better. Still better than Vancouver though which is where I am from, but compared to DC? Dont make me laugh.

Old 09-22-2014, 11:43 AM

342 posts, read 510,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
DC gets wayyyy more days that are clear and 70 degrees than Seattle. The thing is that the weather in Seattle is cold/rainy/overcast for 9 months, with a few breaks in between. In DC you get all sorts of weather, including a REAL summer time. Yes, if you hate sunlight you will hate DC, but for stable mental health and happiness the weather in DC is far superior to Seattle. Not even close.

Old 09-22-2014, 11:54 AM

Quote:
In the city of D.C. there is 5 Nordstrom . Anyway the question was how many are downtown D.C..

That's not what the question was. This is the original question below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
Criteria:
- Economy
- Housing
- Weather
- Scenery
- Activities
- Dining
- Sports
- Diversity (people)
- Shopping

Which one is more desirable to you personally?

Old 09-22-2014, 12:03 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
When did you move away from DC out of curiosity? You seem to be either very outdated about downtown DC or very uninformed based on this post. I'm glad you enjoy Seattle. Many people enjoy less urban and slower cities across the country. The rat race that is NYC and Washington D.C. where everyone is in a hurry and is fighting for the next best job is only made for people that can handle that lifestyle. It gets real out here. People don't have time to stop and small talk in cities like this. It does give people from other cities the vibe that people are mean, but they really aren't. They are just in a hurry.
What are you talking about? I'm not sure if many posters know this about DC, but most government and non-profit employes don't even work until 5pm. Many have these flex schedules where they go into work around 7 or 7:30 and roll out around 3. Others have alternative work schedules. In short, federal employees are some of the least hardworking people in the United States. They have near absolute job security, wonderful benefits, great pensions, and thus have little incentive to do much of anything because performance doesn't impact their bottom line in any meaningful way.

Old 09-22-2014, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Actually do.you realize Nordstrom is a direct competitor with Saks and Bloomingdales just Nordstrom is doing much better there is more Nordstrom than Saks and Bloomingdales combined.
And yet, the D.C. metro area supports 5 Nordstroms, two Saks 5th Avenue's, and 2 Bloomingdales. They're all doing well too. Seattle is just not large enough to be compared with the major cities in the nation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City