Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the capital of Black America in your opinion?
NYC Area 66 4.89%
Phil 25 1.85%
DC 121 8.96%
Atlanta 807 59.78%
Memphis 21 1.56%
New ORleans 33 2.44%
Houston 29 2.15%
Seattle 14 1.04%
Chicago 35 2.59%
Detroit 84 6.22%
Other (include in your reply) 14 1.04%
There is none. 101 7.48%
Voters: 1350. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-11-2019, 12:49 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,736,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
The only problem is that you're somewhat confined to doing things on the weekends. Few people are going to make the trip from Laurel to Shaw on Tuesday evening for a quick cup of coffee. So you're left with the party set that schleps it in from Maryland for Friday/Saturday and Sunday brunch.
Huh???? DC has parties all through the week. We don't even need to start on happy hour every day. What are you talking about? Do you know how many promoters have parties throughout the week in DC? Check IG, there is always something going on. I feel like there is a new lounge opening weekly it seems.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2019, 12:59 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,547,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Huh???? DC has parties all through the week. We don't even need to start on happy hour every day. What are you talking about? Do you know how many promoters have parties throughout the week in DC? Check IG, there is always something going on. I feel like there is a new lounge opening weekly it seems.
DC is very "nodal". Both in the city proper and throughout the metro area. Within the city you have numerous 2/3 sq mi pockets, or maybe even smaller limited to one strip or a collection of adjacent corners, that can really liven up at night. This will happen in all four quadrants of the city and seems to keep the city fairly lively over numerous locations. This also bleeds into the suburbs, and outside of the city proper with multiple nodes in both Arlington/Alex, and Silver Spring/ Bethesda etc. One could find night life or bars/parties to go to in any of these pockets. But to Bajan's point it dilutes a bit of the heavy rush or influx of an even higher percentage of folks descending on one, two, three, or four larger more contiguous retail or nightlife districts.

Old 03-11-2019, 12:59 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
Do you have the stats for 20002, 20009, 20024, 20003, and 20010 in DC?
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
It was another humble, slight cherry pick.
Actually, no, it wasn't a cherrypick. I was trying to do DC a favor since most zip codes are even worse than 20001.

For example, the 20009 zip code (U Street/14th Street/Logan) has 25,968 White degree holders compared to 2,648 Black degree holders. That's nearly a 10:1 ratio.

The 20010 zip code has 10,420 White degree holders compared to 1,770 Black degree holders.

The 20002 zip code has 18,423 White degree holders compared to 5,372 degree holders. That's about 21% of all degree holders in that zip code.

The 20003 zip code has 13,784 White degree holders compared to 1,769 Black degree holders.

There's no point in getting data from the other side of the river since those neighborhoods are not "quality" urbanity. Many of those neighborhoods function more like dense suburbs with high rates of car ownership and low transit share.

Old 03-11-2019, 01:02 PM

Quote:
I'm not even going to get into that. The point is that DC has its own version of the "bridge and tunnel crowd" and the average person living in Laurel is not going to be out and about DC on an average weekday any more than the average person living on Long Island is going to be hanging out in Brooklyn on a weekday.

Old 03-11-2019, 01:07 PM

Quote:
DC is very "nodal". Both in the city proper and throughout the metro area. Within the city you have numerous 2/3 sq mi pockets, or maybe even smaller limited to one strip or a collection of adjacent corners, that can really liven up at night. This will happen in all four quadrants of the city and seems to keep the city fairly lively over numerous locations. This also bleeds into the suburbs and outside of the city proper with multiple nodes in both Arlington/Alex, and Silver Spring/ Bethesda etc. One could find night life or bars/parties to go to in any of these pockets. But to Bajan's point it dilutes a bit of the heavy rush or influx of an even higher percentage of folks descending on one, two, three, or four larger more contiguous retail or nightlife districts.
First, let's not act like most of the events for black people in NYC are in black areas. In fact, my experience has them in restaurants, clubs, bars etc. all over the city. This is 2019, I think that's probably the case for every city in America. We live in the social media age. This is not 2010. Things are pretty streamlined these days. People tend to leave their neighborhood and travel to wherever the event is being held. Now, the question is does your city even possess an urban environment to hold an event comparable to urban environments we are talking about. That was my point for Atlanta.

Old 03-11-2019, 01:11 PM

Quote:
But to Bajan's point it dilutes a bit of the heavy rush or influx of an even higher percentage of folks descending on one, two, three, or four larger more contiguous retail or nightlife districts.
That's not really my point.

My point is that few Black professionals actually live in DC. Driving into the city from the burbs is not the same as living in the city no matter how much people want to insist it is.

Old 03-11-2019, 01:14 PM

Quote:
First, let's not act like most of the events for black people in NYC are in black areas. In fact, my experience has them in restaurants, clubs, bars etc. all over the city. This is 2019, I think that's probably the case for every city in America. We live in the social media age. This is not 2010. Things are pretty streamlined these days. People tend to leave their neighborhood and travel to wherever the event is being held. Now, the question is does your city even possess an urban environment to hold an event comparable to urban environments we are talking about. That was my point for Atlanta.
Well, that's the difference, right? Living in the suburbs, your life is very much about "events" you must plan for. The whole point of living in the city, I thought, was spontaneity. Like, I can *spontaneously* walk into a bar or coffee shop down the street and see Black people. Not "I have to pack a change of clothes for this event so I don't have to drive back to Largo after work."

Honestly, what difference does the urban environment make at that point if you're driving in from Largo to enjoy it? What's the difference between driving from Largo to U Street to go to happy hour and driving from Stone Mountain to Edgewood Avenue to go to happy hour?

Old 03-11-2019, 01:19 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,547,924 times
Quote:
That's not really my point.

My point is that few Black professionals actually live in DC. Driving into the city from the burbs is not the same as living in the city no matter how much people want to insist it is.
They live in close range, and spend there time in the District proper when it comes to social gatherings or outings etc. Many live inside the Beltway itself, which is equivalent to just being another borough or part of the city if it were in NYC.

Old 03-11-2019, 01:24 PM

Quote:
They live in close range, and spend there time in the District proper when it comes to social gatherings or outings etc. Many live inside the Beltway itself, which is equivalent to just being another borough or part of the city if it were in NYC.
No matter how you spin it, schleping it in from some car-centric suburb is not the same as living in the city.

Old 03-11-2019, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Well, that's the difference, right? Living in the suburbs, your life is very much about "events" you must plan for. The whole point of living in the city, I thought, was spontaneity. Like, I can *spontaneously* walk into a bar or coffee shop down the street and see Black people. Not "I have to pack a change of clothes for this event so I don't have to drive back to Largo after work."

Honestly, what difference does the urban environment make at that point if you're driving in from Largo to enjoy it? What's the difference between driving from Largo to U Street to go to happy hour and driving from Stone Mountain to Edgewood Avenue to go to happy hour?
Well, all my friends live in the city. I don't really go to Maryland for anything so I wouldn't know. We all own houses or rent in the city. That's the difference between people with money and people without money I guess. And just an FYI, none of my friends walk to anything in NYC. They either take the train or Uber/Lyft because stuff is far. I don't know what kind of social events you go to, but in 2019, stuff is all over the place including in NYC. Walk to the local coffee shop? We don't do that. Maybe if we are headed to work, but who hangs out in a coffee shop these days? Now, if you're talking about a hookah spot, then ok.

And to your point about Stone Mountain to Edgewood Avenue, its not going to give you the urban built environment of DC or NYC which I already pointed out. I like Atlanta, I just don't get the same feeling walking, driving, sitting etc. that I get in DC or NYC.

Last edited by MDAllstar; 03-11-2019 at 01:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City