Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the capital of Black America in your opinion?
NYC Area 66 4.89%
Phil 25 1.85%
DC 121 8.96%
Atlanta 807 59.78%
Memphis 21 1.56%
New ORleans 33 2.44%
Houston 29 2.15%
Seattle 14 1.04%
Chicago 35 2.59%
Detroit 84 6.22%
Other (include in your reply) 14 1.04%
There is none. 101 7.48%
Voters: 1350. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2023, 12:03 PM

2,235 posts, read 1,116,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GN15 View Post
This post is pretty simple. You're casting a wide net onto the South when it is certain segments....you should know better. I have love for the 215 but your city has everything that you accuse the South of. Sipping syrup was thought to be a Texas thing but then Beanie Sigel mentioned that it's a Philly thing. I'm going to stop here with Philly faults. Regarding "There is no niche for educated and progressive-minded people in these cities." It sounds like a documentary has mentally charged you and you have that shot of zeal. Add context and perspective to it man. The South does have shortcoming but what you're pushing is biased (mentions a jazz but then comes down on New Orleans....at least have a moral high ground before pushing extremes).

Southern culture doesn't resonate with me, except for the food that has been passed down from generations. I grew up in South Jersey and later moved to Philly so it shouldn't be surprising the most global city in the country has influenced me and why I see it as the "capital". I didn't care or know much about the South or Atlanta because back then, Atlanta wasn't as mainstream and global in 2003 as it is in 2023, especially since Philly, in its own right, was a "capital" during that time.

Everything from the attitude to the culture to the fashion was from Philly & NYC. Even the city life was Philly and NYC. I grew up surrounded by Puerto Ricans and was raised on yellow rice with gandules, side salad, and Pernil platters. I used to listen to Ramito with my Burrican friends at the swap meet and attended many parranda and the PR day parade.. only NYC DC and Boston offer that type of dense urban melting pot integration on the East. Those experiences shaped me, not Travis Scott, Slabs, Antebellum architecture, Tyler Perry, or saying "no cap" every other sentence.

It's not a knock on Atlanta; y'all just can't fathom someone not kissing Atlanta's feet, and it's weird. It's like an inferiority complex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2023, 01:10 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,962,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
Southern culture doesn't resonate with me, except for the food that has been passed down from generations. I grew up in South Jersey and later moved to Philly so it shouldn't be surprising the most global city in the country has influenced me and why I see it as the "capital". I didn't care or know much about the South or Atlanta because back then, Atlanta wasn't as mainstream and global in 2003 as it is in 2023, especially since Philly, in its own right, was a "capital" during that time.

Everything from the attitude to the culture to the fashion was from Philly & NYC. Even the city life was Philly and NYC. I grew up surrounded by Puerto Ricans and was raised on yellow rice with gandules, side salad, and Pernil platters. I used to listen to Ramito with my Burrican friends at the swap meet and attended many parranda and the PR day parade.. only NYC DC and Boston offer that type of dense urban melting pot integration on the East. Those experiences shaped me, not Travis Scott, Slabs, Antebellum architecture, Tyler Perry, or saying "no cap" every other sentence.

It's not a knock on Atlanta; y'all just can't fathom someone not kissing Atlanta's feet, and it's weird. It's like an inferiority complex.
Black culture varies from city to city. Generation to generation.

I must admit delta Black culture is very unique. I'm not sure if this can be said about other parts of the south but they seem to be easily offended when I don't buy their greasy food or like their trashy music. The laid-back culture seems too slow for me especially when I need to get things done.

I find southerners over the age of 40 to be incredibly narrow minded. The younger generation seems more open to trying new things. The under 25 group seems to be very open non religious and open to various lifestyles like any place else.

I don't think we should limit ourselves to only thinking we have to live in a handful of places to have a good life.

This is how I see it.

Last edited by mjtinmemphis; 12-12-2023 at 01:19 PM..

Old 12-12-2023, 01:30 PM

16,689 posts, read 29,502,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganderTexan View Post
It's hard to take any of his posts serious when he posts a video of a stripper as conclusive evidence that those are the only type of people moving to Dallas and Atlanta. The real truth is there are problems with black culture no matter where you go in the country. There's just generally higher percentages of us in Southern cities.
Are there problems with white culture?

Old 12-12-2023, 02:57 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Southern cities outside of Charlotte and DC, just perpetuate the most negative stereotypes of black society, promoting trap music, flexing materialism, trapping, gang violence drug use.
Really? I never knew cities like Dallas, Fort Worth, Richmond, Norfolk, Raleigh, Huntsville, Charleston, Savannah, Orlando, Tampa, Nashville, Louisville, etc. perpetuated such stereotypes of Black folks. What exactly gives you such an impression?

Old 12-12-2023, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Honestly, Chicago, Baltimore, and Milwaukee Metro did surprisingly well but since they lack Tyler Perry and Coca Cola people on here don't consider them as "capitals".

and the argument that XYZ is thriving just because it is attracting new residents is extremely flawed since most people who can afford to move across regions usually have some disposable income. Like, congrats, a white color professional is moving to Atlanta, but what is life like for the majority of folks barely making ends meet or living under the poverty level in deep south-styled systemic racism - The answer: It ain't pretty.
You can't be serious. MILWAUKEE?????

Even Black folks from Milwaukee know you're smoking something.

https://www.npr.org/sections/codeswi...r-black-people

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...816-story.html

https://philanthropynewsdigest.org/n...can-well-being

https://www.10news.com/news/national...ican-americans

Old 12-12-2023, 03:25 PM

Quote:
All you've been doing is throwing rocks at Atlanta and the South totally unprovoked, but now you want to hide your hands and act as though the problem is with Atlantans/Southerners getting mad that everyone isn't bowing down to them.

I think some sort of diagnosis is in order because clearly something is going on beyond typical internet back-and-forth banter.

Old 12-12-2023, 03:59 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,962,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
You can't be serious. MILWAUKEE?
You think Milwaukee is worse than Atlanta for a 37 year old Black male stem worker compared to Atlanta? Income, financial stability, and socially? Think about it.

Old 12-12-2023, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
You think Milwaukee is worse than Atlanta for a 37 year old Black male stem worker compared to Atlanta? Income, financial stability, and socially? Think about it.
That's the key issue: people aren't going that.

They already have Atlanta set as this utopia for black people and anything else is inferior.

Old 12-12-2023, 04:44 PM

Quote:
All you've been doing is throwing rocks at Atlanta and the South totally unprovoked, but now you want to hide your hands and act as though the problem is with Atlantans/Southerners getting mad that everyone isn't bowing down to them.

I think some sort of diagnosis is in order because clearly something is going on beyond typical internet back-and-forth banter.

Not everyone is infatuated with Atlanta and holds it in the same regard. Let me repeat myself - as someone who grew up less than two hours away from New York City, it has always been the "black capital" in my eyes whether or not I want it to be.

NYC #2 For Black Entrepreneur VC funding.
https://www.businessinsider.com/citi...unding-2020-10

But I'm supposed to overlook that because I can get acres of land for pennies in Metro Atlanta next to Cardi B.

New York is thee global financial capital, and second to LA in Media, but all of that goes out the window when we're talking about Atlanta for some reason.

Old 12-12-2023, 04:54 PM

Quote:

Lemme diagnose it for you. I am tired of the blatant disregard and disrespect towards anything Northeastern-related by (black) southerners. Y'all seem to have a chip on your shoulder, and it's crazy and borderline xenophobic- I have witnessed many times where you refer to us as Yankees and tell us to head back north or stop ruining your cities. Y'all aren't any better than Northerners who think the South is nothing but ignorant poor people living in shacks in the boonies. Maybe I'm wearing my heart on my sleeve too much in here, my bad.

Last edited by AshbyQuin; 12-12-2023 at 05:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City