Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the capital of Black America in your opinion?
NYC Area 66 4.89%
Phil 25 1.85%
DC 121 8.96%
Atlanta 807 59.78%
Memphis 21 1.56%
New ORleans 33 2.44%
Houston 29 2.15%
Seattle 14 1.04%
Chicago 35 2.59%
Detroit 84 6.22%
Other (include in your reply) 14 1.04%
There is none. 101 7.48%
Voters: 1350. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2023, 05:22 PM

2,235 posts, read 1,116,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Who cares what his artistic influences are. Fact of the matter is the people that you named in the Northeast are abundant in the South.

Refer to posts #3911 and #3915. I'm done speaking about celebrities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2023, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
100 Black Men has chapters nationwide. A cousin of mine (female) works in the office of the Oakland chapter in California (or at least worked there when I visited her in 2006).
I'm sure you're familiar with Pastor Carl Day, who began his career in activism with 100 Black Men Philly. I also believe a (former?) neighbor of yours, Marc Lamont Hill was or still is apart of 100 Black Men of Silicon Valley.

Old 12-10-2023, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
So you are saying Jean Mitchell Basquiat didn't die of a heroin overdose.

That he didn't pimp himself to survive.

He didn't let the Campbell Soup Guy take naked photos of him to support his habit

Why wouldn't his sisters not want to protect his legacy?

Listen, I am of Caribbean descent and hold up Jean Mitchell Basquiat for his cultural contributions. But I am not going to hold him up in any moral superiority argument. You might have been throwing out names, and his is quite exotic, but it doesn't fit your narrative.

His character was no better than the ones you are belittling from the South. Basquiat brought out the freak in Madonna. She couldn't keep up
His sisters debunked the media's narrative of his so-called "troubled life".. The only issue he faced was with heroin towards the last year of his life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-kY...YmFzcXVpYXQ%3D

Old 12-10-2023, 05:41 PM

14,155 posts, read 9,047,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
I'm sure you're familiar with Pastor Carl Day, who began his career in activism with 100 Black Men Philly. I also believe a (former?) neighbor of yours, Marc Lamont Hill was or still is apart of 100 Black Men of Silicon Valley.
Hill still lives in Germantown, but he's not around Uncle Bobbie's as much as he used to be; he's raising a little one now.

Old 12-11-2023, 07:04 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Refer to posts #3911 and #3915. I'm done speaking about celebrities.
You're the one who brought up the nonsensical topic on celebrities and so called millionaires and trappers in the first place. These do not in any way shape or form make up the bulk of the transplants no matter the skin color in these cities.

Old 12-11-2023, 10:02 AM

702 posts, read 442,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
First of all no disrespect but I don't see why people value Keith's Lee opinions so much. That's no knock against him but I don't see how he became the end all be all or any food influencer for that matter when it comes to restaurants in any given city. You would think he was a world renowned chef the way people treat him.

Now the problem I have with the commentary surrounding Keith Lee and Atlanta is people are using Keith Lee to attack Atlanta. They're using his experiences with 3 high profile Black Owned restaurants in Atlanta to shame the entire city and it's Black residences. And I know this because people conveniently left out the full details of his commentary on his experiences in Atlanta.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7TttfGZlP8

Literally at 3:33 he talks about the positive things that happened while he was in Atlanta. People miss when he spoke highly about the hospitality he and his family experienced from locals in Atlanta. But people have painted his entire experience as being complete doom and gloom while in Atlanta and that's simply not true.

Now being that I've lived in Atlanta and I live in Houston now I'll be the first one to tell you Houston's food scene is way better than Atlanta. For a city that has as many Black people as they do it's food scene is somewhat lacking. Not bad but not amazing somewhere in the mid range.

The funny thing is when Mr. Chime Time (another popular food critic) came to Houston he spoke pretty negatively about some of Houston's more popular Black owned restaurants. It even made it to KHOU news. But content creators didn't put out a whole smear campaign against Houston because of a couple of bad experiences he had with popular restaurants in Houston.

Now I know what you mean when you say Houston is the "new old Atlanta" but I feel like that's a specific demographic within the Black community pushing that narrative. Mostly younger single people who like to go clubbing, day party, bottomless mimosa with brunch, "lifestyle" restaurants type of crowds. And what tends to happen with this demographic is they move to these cities based largely off of hype. Minimum research to cities their moving to but purely off of hype. And for a lot of younger people, Atlanta might be the first city they move to away from home. And after months of going to clubs, day parties, ratchet social events they get burnt out. They don't experience anything outside of those things btw but they start to complain about the city. On top of the cost of living being more expensive than they imagined and their job situations not being ideal and next thing you know they're off to Houston.

Trust me, as Houston becomes more expensive and the fact traffic is getting worse, you'll hear more Black transplants complain about Houston eventually. I'm already hearing it actually and some of those same people are looking for more laid back "less ratchet and flashy" cities like Dallas and Charlotte.
This is fair I can't really disagree with anything you're saying

Old 12-11-2023, 10:03 AM

702 posts, read 442,901 times
Quote:
I apologize if you don't notice the different types of people. Most people moving to Atlanta and Dallas from cities like Philly are the ones that contribute to the negative stereotypes I was talking about earlier, albeit wealthier versions. If you think strippers or trap rappers earning triple figures is a flex than so be it. There's a reason why it's called the "dirty south". Atlanta had the "My Neck My Back" lady with one of the foulest songs of all time, meanwhile, New York had Maya Angelou and Lauryn Hill and Chicago had Oprah and Michelle Obama. C'mon bro.

This is the type of people Atlanta and Dallas attract:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqzEN1wK_Hk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXak7579Q2g

This is the type of people New York Attracts. You would probably consider these people "white" because of how they talk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmMpBiXcuJs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TjYGydlL7g
Well this took a turn to the left, this is utterly ridiculous the nonsense and narrative you are trying to push.

Old 12-11-2023, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
You're the one who brought up the nonsensical topic on celebrities and so called millionaires and trappers in the first place. These do not in any way shape or form make up the bulk of the transplants no matter the skin color in these cities.
Is it just a coincidence that you and others stopped responding to this post? I will repost it and include more details.

A true capital is one in which people regardless of their socioeconomic background can flourish which is why I said NYC Metro. Go to New Orleans or Atlanta and you'll see some of the saddest living conditions for black people.

How about cities with the best social safety net??

1."States in the South have, on average, the lowest TANF and UI benefits of any region, and those benefits are received by fewer would-be eligible adults and families than in other regions.
Southern states are also the least likely to provide a refundable EITC supplement or a minimum wage above the federal level of $7.25.

2.States in the Midwest and West have significantly weaker safety nets than the Northeast, on average, across several dimensions.
States in the South, Midwest, and West are much more likely to enact policies that discourage or prohibit labor union activity.

3. The South has a relatively higher Black population than the Northeast, while the West has a relatively higher Hispanic population. These demographic trends leave many families of color with relatively weaker safety net protections."

Georgia health care is the worst in the US,
https://news.yahoo.com/georgia-healt...120000254.html

African Americans in Texas See Decreased Economic Mobility,
https://news.utexas.edu/2013/05/20/a...-report-shows/

Cities With the Most Delinquent Debt
https://constructioncoverage.com/res...-delinquencies

Atlanta’s Income Inequality Is the Highest in the Nation
https://www.governing.com/community/...-in-the-nation

Atlanta named worst place to live on minimum wage
https://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/stu...n-minimum-wage

Louisiana, New Jersey, Georgia, Arkansas and Texas highest Maternal Mortality rate for Black Women
https://www.axios.com/2023/07/05/us-...le-two-decades

Texas Deemed the fifth most difficult state to vote in for disenfranchised people of color
https://www.brennancenter.org/our-wo...ies-2022-texas

Texas among worst states for affordable housing
https://spectrumlocalnews.com/tx/sou...e-housing-gap-

The veil is lifted, revealing the harsh realities for the middle and lower class in the South beyond the wealthy transplants and the 1% of wealthy black people y'all keep talking about. None of these cities have anything positive outside of entertainment and the wealthy 1%... Like, Baltimore Metro ranked higher in all categories I posted than Atlanta and Houston yet nobody in their right mind would label it a capital.

Last edited by AshbyQuin; 12-11-2023 at 11:21 AM..

Old 12-11-2023, 11:23 AM

134 posts, read 49,545 times
Different rooms in the same house. I think if anywhere outside of the south was absolute paradise for black folks then we'd still be moving there in droves like we were a hundred years ago. People will go where they want to be, at the end of the day.

Old 12-11-2023, 12:01 PM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godrestores View Post
Different rooms in the same house. I think if anywhere outside of the south was absolute paradise for black folks then we'd still be moving there in droves like we were a hundred years ago. People will go where they want to be, at the end of the day.
The thing is that even with people moving Down South, the percentage of Black people living in the South isn't really that much higher than it was in 1970(about 50% then versus about 58% now). So, even the movement aspect is likely more nuanced, as some people make the move South, but some come back or some people are just more transient. Let alone the immigration aspect.

Also, I think the aspect of this place or that place is the new Mecca is kind of played out now too. I think a part of that is the fact you can find the same or similar problems even in the better places(if not actually depending on the topic) and communities all over the country are looking to do more to invest and uplift their local community where they are or from, to create it into what they want it to look like.

There is also the aspect of more Black people being more open to mid sized/smaller areas across the country. So, that person from say NYC, Philadelphia, Chicago, Detroit, Los Angeles, etc. may just move to the suburbs, a smaller nearby area or one within another part of the same region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City