Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is more urban at street level?
Philadelphia 221 41.00%
Chicago 318 59.00%
Voters: 539. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 12:55 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,708,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
The majority of the people would say Chicago is more urban than Philly as shown by the poll. Not only that, but it's overall superior to Philly in several other categories. You guys can have your insufferable East Coast arrogance and rowhouses.
Whoa slow down buddy. I have nothing to do with this thread. And in the everyday life none of this matters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 01:18 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,568,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post

And yes Chicagos encapturemnet area is nearly 2x the size of Phillys. Chicagos metro is nearly 10,000 sq mi. whereas Phillys is 5,000 sq. mi. obviously Chicagos economic numbers will be greater.

Now why does Chicagos metro sprawl 120 miles and Philadelphia cant even get credit for areas a mere 15 miles away from its city limits is beyond me.The biased nature of the
OMB towards Philadlephia is incredulous.

Draw a circle 50 miles around the center of Chicago and Philadlephia. It would arguably be Chicago looking up at Philadelphia asfar as GDp and various economic indicators.
Uh, Chicago's urbanized area is MUCH larger than Philly's. Chicago had 8.3 million people living in 2200 square miles compared to Philly's 5.1 million in 1800 square miles. Hell, Cook county alone has over 5 million people in 900 square miles or so. No matter how you twist or slice it, Chicago is significantly larger than Philadelphia.

Old 10-26-2010, 01:37 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Quote:
Uh, Chicago's urbanized area is MUCH larger than Philly's. Chicago had 8.3 million people living in 2200 square miles compared to Philly's 5.1 million in 1800 square miles. Hell, Cook county alone has over 5 million people in 900 square miles or so. No matter how you twist or slice it, Chicago is significantly larger than Philadelphia.

While I agree Chicago is bigger those stats do not really give the whole story - The UA of Philly is cut off by the Census (less than 10 miles form the city border to the North) not because it ends but because it bumps up against NYC census areas - the UA doesnt end until north of NYC in CT. But Philly cant claim all but the area is in many ways even more developed over a larger area in that context. Though to me Chicago does feel larger; city alone because it is. But quite honestly Philly to me from the urban perspective feels next closest to Chicago in size in the US, because it is, not on skyline though...

on being urban, both are highly with different constructs - Chicago the city is larger

Technically Philly is part of a continuously urbanized area (UA) that has ~25-27 million people

Old 10-26-2010, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
While I agree Chicago is bigger those stats do not really give the whole story - The UA of Philly is cut off by the Census (less than 10 miles form the city border to the North) not because it ends but because it bumps up against NYC census areas - the UA doesnt end until north of NYC in CT. But Philly cant claim all but the area is in many ways even more developed over a larger area in that context. Though to me Chicago does feel larger; city alone because it is. But quite honestly Philly to me from the urban perspective feels next closest to Chicago in size in the US, because it is, not on skyline though...

on being urban, both are highly with different constructs - Chicago the city is larger

Technically Philly is part of a continuously urbanized area (UA) that has ~25-27 million people
If you say so...

Old 10-26-2010, 01:46 PM

It seems that many posters from Philadelphia are good at making excuses, creating stats out of thin air and living in the past.

Old 10-26-2010, 01:46 PM

758 posts, read 1,960,525 times
Philly is definitely more urban. How can this be debated? Narrower streets + predominately rowhouses + older built form + larger city in the pre-automotive age = more urban.

The only reason that there are so many votes for Chicago is because there are so many Chicago homers on this thread. No one with functioning eyes would say that parking lots and strip malls = more urban, even if the city in question has a larger population and more highrises.

Old 10-26-2010, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio248 View Post
Philly is definitely more urban. How can this be debated? Narrower streets + predominately rowhouses + older built form + larger city in the pre-automotive age = more urban.

The only reason that there are so many votes for Chicago is because there are so many Chicago homers on this thread. No one with functioning eyes would say that parking lots and strip malls = more urban, even if the city in question has a larger population and more highrises.
You've been a pretty active troll lately. Keep up the good work.

Old 10-26-2010, 01:49 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,977,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Umm...how is that?

Philly has its own distinctive style and personality. I can observe someone's demeanor and tell whether he or she's from Philadelphia or not. Can you do the same with Chicagoans?
All original styles that influenced the planet

Chicago = House Music / Electricfied Blues

Detroit = Techno / Electro / Soul/ Funk

New Orleans = Jazz

Memphis = Blues

Philly = ???

-------
NYC = Hip Hop/Rap, Freestyle okay

Old 10-26-2010, 01:52 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,977,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio248 View Post
So was New Orleans, Charleston, SC, St Augustine (Est 1564 nation's oldest) and Savannah, GA Did you know that New Orleans was the nation's 3rd largest city after NYC and Baltimore and Philly was the largest once? Now Philly is 6th after Phoenix bumped it down. Cities like San Antonio, Dallas, San Diego etc. are looking to pass up Philly soon in population while Chicago is still in a comfortable lead past Houston and all the rest during our life time.

Last edited by urbanologist; 10-26-2010 at 02:03 PM..

Old 10-26-2010, 01:53 PM

758 posts, read 1,960,525 times
Quote:
You've been a pretty active troll lately. Keep up the good work.
I am only posting the facts. You are the troll.

Please tell me one thing I have posted that is factually wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City