Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 06:19 PM

699 posts, read 2,237,471 times

Advertisements

the-ten-biggest-american-cities-that-are-running-out-of-water: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance

Just saw this, and thought it might be interesting to others.
From the article:

"24/7 Wall St. looked at an October 2010 report on water risk by environmental research and sustainability group Ceres. We also considered a comprehensive July 2010 report from the Natural Resources Defense Council, which mapped areas at high risk of water shortage conflict. 24/7 Wall St. also did its own analysis of water supply and consumption in America's largest cities, and focused on the thirty largest metropolitan areas. One goal was to identify potential conflicts in regions that might have disputed rights over large supplies of water and the battles that could arise from these disputes. And, 24/7 Wall St. examined geographic areas that have already been plagued by drought and water shortages off and on."

"The ten cities on this list are the ones with the most acute exposure to problems that could cause large imbalances of water supply and demand. There are a number of metropolitan areas that could face similar problems but their risks are not quite as high. The water problem for U.S. cities is, although it may not be evident, one of the largest issues that faces urban areas over the next ten years."

10) Orlando, FL
9) Atlanta, GA
8) Tucson, AZ
7) Las Vegas, NV
6) Fort Worth, TX
5) San Francisco, CA
4) San Antonio, TX
3) Phoenix, AZ
2) Houston, TX
1) Los Angeles, CA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2010, 06:22 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,946,875 times
Orlando surprises me on this list

Old 11-01-2010, 06:22 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,058,371 times
Yeah I saw that earlier and just skipped over it.

Old 11-01-2010, 06:34 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,004,055 times
I don't see it happening in our lifetimes.

I'd be more concerned with a nuclear strike or asteroid hitting the Earth than Houston running out of water.

Old 11-01-2010, 06:36 PM

5 posts, read 7,494 times
If the cities were about to run out of water, wouldnt the government begin using desalination processes with the oceans?

Old 11-01-2010, 06:50 PM

1,937 posts, read 4,713,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post

I'd be more concerned with a nuclear strike or asteroid hitting the Earth than Houston running out of water.
Maybe it will hit you in the head. Houston is the center of the milky Way,ya know...So asteroids are all around you.

Old 11-01-2010, 07:16 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,213,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj33 View Post
If the cities were about to run out of water, wouldnt the government begin using desalination processes with the oceans?
Because our government is SO progressive and competent

Based on the past few decades - you would have thought the USA completely forgot about infrastructure.

Old 11-01-2010, 07:19 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,004,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
Maybe it will hit you in the head. Houston is the center of the milky Way,ya know...So asteroids are all around you.
Yeah Houston is Space City USA in case you didn't already know.

Old 11-01-2010, 08:16 PM

1,214 posts, read 2,521,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
Yeah I saw that earlier and just skipped over it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post

Not to be a jerk or naive or something, but what's with that attitude people have about this whenever it's brought up? Like actually read it. Did SF and Atlanta not have water problems after those small droughts, is Lake Mead not at historic low levels? It's a real developing problem. Maybe it won't be as serious and Road Warrior as all the doomsayers say, and I'm not saying it'll happen to Houston in particular for example, but it is a serious, real, developing issue. No need to panic or anything, but isn't a lil concern warranted? Like, if you ignore it, it's not just gonna go away, it'd actually get alot worse that way. I get you can say, no need to panic right now, but to just say, no never, don't even worry about it, isn't that kinda like covering your ears and going, LA LA LA I'm not listening?

Old 11-01-2010, 08:22 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,058,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missRoxyhart View Post
Not to be a jerk or naive or something, but what's with that attitude people have about this whenever it's brought up? Like actually read it. Did SF and Atlanta not have water problems after those small droughts, is Lake Mead not at historic low levels? It's a real developing problem. Maybe it won't be as serious and Road Warrior as all the doomsayers say, and I'm not saying it'll happen to Houston in particular for example, but it is a serious, real, developing issue. No need to panic or anything, but isn't a lil concern warranted? Like, if you ignore it, it's not just gonna go away, it'd actually get alot worse that way. I get you can say, no need to panic right now, but to just say, no never, don't even worry about it, isn't that kinda like covering your ears and going, LA LA LA I'm not listening?
I think you're overreacting , I am very much aware of where the water I drink comes from thank you very much and the situation of the city I live in and what the comprehensive plan (an organized community effective plan approved by the boards) is to deal with it. Why would I read something that I've been pre-exposed to in Urban Planning class and textbooks over the water source of my region?

This is like a person living in Detroit fully aware of their economy being in the tank seeing the list with their city online, they'll look over it. And I am glad I did, saved myself a few minutes to grab lunch.

I wouldn't waste my time with it either way, and frankly, its something I just don't care too much to do. I study this stuff in class for a grade, I don't need an article telling me the most obvious things on the surface. Hence why I skipped over it and then proceeded to direct away from the website.

LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City