Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 03:52 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,933,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
lol. well apologize for almost arguing with you in the beginning. At least you know a good deal of the Caribbean tunes.
well I don't listen to Soca and say I am versed in Caribbean music.

I listen to music from Badoes, love Bouyon and Zouk from Dominica, Love some Calypso from Trinidad, Dominica, Grenada and St Vincent, I have heard good tunes from BVI, I listen to my Hatian, PR and Cuban music, and yes I have my Jamaican collection too.

I love my Caribbean food, and always seek it out. I love my Caribbean aisles in the grocery stores. I am full americanized, but I keep up with my people.

I listened to the entire world creole music festival online two weeks ago
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 03:55 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,402,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
well I don't listen to Soca and say I am versed in Caribbean music.

I listen to music from Badoes, love Bouyon and Zouk from Dominica, Love some Calypso from Trinidad, Dominica, Grenada and St Vincent, I have heard good tunes from BVI, I listen to my Hatian, PR and Cuban music, and yes I have my Jamaican collection too.

I love my Caribbean food, and always seek it out. I love my Caribbean aisles in the grocery stores. I am full americanized, but I keep up with my people.

I listened to the entire world creole music festival online two weeks ago
thats how it should be. assimilation but always remember where you come from

Old 11-10-2010, 03:55 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
I listen to music from Badoes
We say "Bim." I've never heard anyone refer to Barbados as "Badoes." Bim is shorter anyways.

Old 11-10-2010, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I meant among West Indians, not mainstream culture. For example, Shaggy is probably more well-known in America and Europe than Machel. But when Shaggy peformed at DC Carnival (right after Destra), the whole building emptied out. I felt bad for him actually. LOL. I liked "It wasn't me!"

None of the artists above are more popular than Machel in the West Indies. There are guys like Gyptian, Mavado, Busy Signal, etc. who are popular, but Machel has been in the game since he was 7. And he's been making hits since he was 7. Every year.

In any event, Machel's name rings out much more loudly than any Zouk artist. This goes to my point about soca and Trini culture dominating the carnival scene.

Machel may be more popular in the US, but internationally the Zoul artist Kassav is head and shoulders above Machel. they sell out venues all over Europe and Africa.

Furthermore Machel is only popular along the east coast.

Machel isn't even as popular as the Calypsonian Arrow was in the 8's.

I love Machel and Xtatic, I have followed him for over 20 years, but he isn't really all that big. And in the Windies Sparrow is still more well known than Machel

Old 11-10-2010, 04:00 PM

Quote:
We say "Bim." I've never heard anyone refer to Barbados as "Badoes." Bim is shorter anyways.
sorry I have never heard Bim, what on earth does that stand for?

All my trini, lucian and dominican friends say Badoes.

Old 11-10-2010, 04:04 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
sorry I have never heard Bim, what on earth does that stand for?

All my trini, lucian and dominican friends say Badoes.
Nobody really knows. I'll have to do some research into that.

Old 11-10-2010, 04:08 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,839,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
dont act sneaky mikeandike you purposely go to every thread that involves nyc to bash on "homers" or people who root for nyc. if you hate nyc so much then get of the site or ignore each and every ny thread. Let us new yorkers root our city like every single person on this site

your first comment on this thread was - the homerism has begun. Which means you have no purpose of going to no forums but to bash anyone who roots for nyc. Speaking of insecure your suffer from a huge part of it.

Listen I dont hate NYC lol I only do what I do because Of you and several others. Learn to eat some humble pie sometimes.

You always come in with... nothing is better than NYC, other cities cant stand a chance.. thats the mentality that you have absorbed.. How Can I hate a place that I visit frequently. Its a difference from rooting and Being a homer... If You feel That I am insecure then thats your opinon I cant argue with that..

Old 11-10-2010, 04:09 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,402,204 times
Quote:
Nobody really knows. I'll have to do some research into that.
The west indieeeeeessssss

Old 11-10-2010, 04:10 PM

228 posts, read 696,250 times
I never heard Badoes either, Always Bim, Bimshire, and Little England. B'dos is the closest, maybe you mean that.

Old 11-10-2010, 04:10 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,839,710 times
Quote:
Okay, dude. This statement pretty much says it all. Just be honest...you've never had an authentic carnival experience, have you? THE ROAD MARCH MAKES CARNIVAL WHAT IT IS. Why do you think every soca song is about "marchin' down de road?" This statement is totally ridiculous.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNaCd9ucos0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZ6SxGWAM5o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOgF4AqhSA4

More culture? What are you talking about? You go to Carnival to wild out, not learn about Caribbean history. There's no difference between a bad Trini chick and bad Guyanese chick. Who cares? Besides, mad people come down from NYC and Philly for DC Carnival. Who goes to Boston Carnival? It's barely even mentioned on TriniJungleJuice.

That's exactly what they do. The videos show people walking around. If you look at the road, there's really no one on there. The whole point of Carnival is for girls to wear next-to-nothing and bend over against the truck so you can come up behind them. Brooklyn Labor Day is more akin to a cookout than an actual carnival road march.

There so caught up in the NYC mentality and they have absorbed too much Of Everything is better in NYC attitude
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City