Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the best downtown?
Philadelphia 120 45.28%
Boston 99 37.36%
DC 46 17.36%
Voters: 265. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 10:17 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,906,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Well, I guess it depends on what cultural offering people prefer. There are black people that are into pop music and alternative for instance that would never frequent a hip hop club. Nightlife in the form of clubs/bars is mainly about musical preference. People who prefer hip hop and reggae attend clubs that only play that. Audiences are formed based on musical preference. Most mixed clubs play top 40 music which many black don't enjoy. Some do, but most don't.

As for downtown DC and really the core in general, you will find that African Americans are less inclined to pay high amounts in rent or mortgage whether they can afford it or not. Most African Americans desire large living quarters. They really try to get more bang for their buck. As DC continues to get more expensive, African Americans move further out so they can afford the size living quarters they desire. African American have been living in the city for years. Most are over it especially because their memories of it are full of crime and poverty. As soon as city dwelling African Americans come into some money many opt for a bigger house instead of smaller condo in the new hottest neighborhood. Some are obviously forced out by increase property taxes also. What is happening in DC proper is exactly what happened to Manhattan the last 20 years.

Jazz and Blues clubs seem the most mixed to me in general (Philly and other cities)

On your later points; Manhattan not NYC in total
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 10:21 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,961,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGreenDown View Post
Then exit stage right...you're not adding anything to the conversation besides instagating..we'll call you when somebody brings up baltimore (You'll be waiting forever)
Is thay you going off topic again? Your phony jokes leave a lot to be desired. I bet if I said philly had a better downtown, I would hear a peep out of you...homer

Old 03-09-2012, 10:24 AM

857 posts, read 1,365,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Is thay you going off topic again? Your phony jokes leave a lot to be desired. I bet if I said philly had a better downtown, I would hear a peep out of you...homer
huh? re-read that and try again..your grammar and spelling leaves a lot to be desired kid.

Old 03-09-2012, 10:28 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,156,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Check your facts this post is so uninformed

Last I looked there is qute a few Van Goghs in Philly

? for you; which city in the world has the largest collection of impressionist art in the world after Paris? Not DC for your reference (hint is Philly). Also what city has the largest African art collection in the country? But again I do think DC is very good on the museum front but your little post is well, uniformed.

Lso DC no answer for the barnes or rodin etc. But again both cities have a plethora of art museums of very high level; to suggest otherwise is frankly il-informed and extremely myopic

The restaurant scene is better in Philly but you will never accept that.

On the nightlife, more of your typical myopic banter. You do realize that on top on the number of bars there is no shortage of lounges and clubs; but again you will not accept this fct so why bother

Transit ridership is higher in DC as a MSA; the numbers in the cores (meaning DT) are closer than you actually know believe it or not

Philadelphia Museum of Art - On View : Current Exhibitions

While I may be called a homer you are to the point of delusion in this post; I suggest you expand your horizons; as your concept of nightlife seems extremly one-demensional And absolutely on museums Philly exceeds DC in areas and not in others. But in fine arts; absolutely edge to Philly

Do you seriously want to put the Philadelphia Museum of Art up against the Smithsonian's National Gallery of Art? I can pull at least 5 rankings that put DC in the top 2. Philly's cultural amenities do not match what DC can put on the table. BTW: Calling yourself a Homer is an understatement. Seriously

Old 03-09-2012, 10:34 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,906,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Do you seriously want to put the Philadelphia Museum of Art up against the Smithsonian's National Gallery of Art? I can pull at least 5 rankings that put DC in the top 2. Philly's cultural amenities do not match what DC can put on the table. BTW: Calling yourself a Homer is an understatement. Seriously
Both very good actually and I am also talking about Barnes, Rodin etc. (you also love to talk about unique amenities what is the comparable to Barnes or Rodin in DC?)

Your last statement does basically show that you are pretty ill-informed on the topic to say they dont match actually; on arts offerings quite comparable on the museum front and in terms of small galleries and artisits Philly would most definately be ahead of DC

And on your last statement you and Allstar should co-invest in a mirror

Old 03-09-2012, 10:37 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,692,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Well look at the poll results... that's all i gotta say. I'm done arguing with you delusional people. DC is great, but Philly and Boston spank it all day long in every battle except for government presence... face it. End of story. And stop calling people "homer's" when you're so delusional and so set on proving DC is the best that you aren't even posting correct facts. People can have their own opinions but don't try to say **** like their facts... cause frankly it pisses me off. And while you may have one or two good museums. Philly has A PLETHORA OF AMAZING MUSEUMS...

Old 03-09-2012, 10:38 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,961,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGreenDown View Post
huh? re-read that and try again..your grammar and spelling leaves a lot to be desired kid.
You haven't provided any facts stating how and why philly has a better downtown; co-signing other philly posters does NOT count, son.

Old 03-09-2012, 10:40 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,692,820 times
Top 10 Museums in the US for Families - AOL Travel News

oh and here you go you delusional's... PMA is ranked with the Smithsonian as some of the greatest Museums in America....

Old 03-09-2012, 10:42 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,748,530 times
Quote:
Jazz and Blues clubs seem the most mixed to me in general (Philly and other cities)

On your later points; Manhattan not NYC in total
Hey, I added a bit onto this post with a question at the end. I think it's an interesting take on it all if you want to go back and read it. Also, yes, I agree Jazz and Blues may be the two most cross cultural music forms in music. They are really the only genres that don't have a racial dominance by any race. The crowds exhibit this also.

Old 03-09-2012, 10:51 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,156,819 times
Quote:
Both very good actually and I am also talking about Barnes, Rodin etc. (you also love to talk about unique amenities what is the comparable to Barnes or Rodin in DC?)

Your last statement does basically show that you are pretty ill-informed on the topic to say they dont match actually; on arts offerings quite comparable on the museum front and in terms of small galleries and artisits Philly would most definately be ahead of DC

And on your last statement you and Allstar should co-invest in a mirror
Somebody is missing their hypeman! Where is Too Big MC at these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City