Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the best downtown?
Philadelphia 120 45.28%
Boston 99 37.36%
DC 46 17.36%
Voters: 265. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 01:18 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,760,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
EHHH, the drexel master plan is far more impressive.

http://drexelmasterplan.files.wordpr...09_actions.pdf

http://drexelmasterplan.files.wordpr...9_strategy.pdf

Even the Temple Master Plan is more impressive (can't find the pdf)

http://nakedphilly.com/wp-content/up...PM-560x350.png

Here is the Market East/Loft District/Franklin Square Redevelopment plan I was talking about

http://philaplanning.org/plans/mkteast/mkteastexecsum.pdf (broken link)
Here is another one.

American University Expansion:

http://www.american.edu/finance/fas/...ampus-Plan.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 04:22 AM

857 posts, read 1,366,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
I was down there a couple weeks ago hanging out in Adams Morgan. It's definitely a bustling city. Maybe moreso than Philly is at night.
And then you woke up. People in DC are still trying to make their downtown happen?

Old 03-08-2012, 05:59 AM

10,109 posts, read 9,971,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGreenDown View Post
And then you woke up. People in DC are still trying to make their downtown happen?
I was in NW dc, or wherever the hell Adams Morgan is. I didn't go downtown. Don't sleep on DC, that city is very busy. Busier than philly when i went.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:31 AM

1,750 posts, read 3,391,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
No offense, but Philadelphia is pretty run down and depressed to be frank. It needs to be redeveloped with clean new buildings in my opinion. It's clear that it's an old industrial city. I'm not a fan of blue collar cities. That is one of the main reason's I am happy about the development in DC. The bars are coming off the windows and the crack heads are clearing out. The drive bye's are ending. You can walk around and feel safe in many area's now. It's a new day in D.C.
Well I would argue that DC is probably the only "true" white collar city in the country. In my opinion, cities/neighborhoods that started off Blue Collar tend to be more interesting (NYC, Philly, Chicago, Boston), as they have more of an identity. DC is a city of extremes, neighborhoods are either very polished or very ghetto, there are not many neighborhoods that are in between.

I agree with what you said earlier, that DC is playing catch-up, and I dont think anybody would argue the growth DC is seeing is great for the city; but my biggest complaint is within the design of the buildings. DC is turning into a city of nothing but boring/sterile glass boxes. Sure they are new and shiny now, but will one day not be new, and I dont think those designs will stand the test of time (architecturally speaking), I prefer a mix of buildings.

DC never really had immigrant neighborhoods the way other large cities in this country did (since there wasn't really any blue collar jobs), so it didn't really develop with the same type of culture, IMO. However, this could be a Black vs. White type thing, as I am White and prefer NYC/Philly/Boston/Chicago type cities where my Black friends prefer DC/Atlanta.

Like you said, it's all a matter of taste/preference.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:53 AM

1,449 posts, read 2,188,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
No offense, but Philadelphia is pretty run down and depressed to be frank. It needs to be redeveloped with clean new buildings in my opinion. It's clear that it's an old industrial city. I'm not a fan of blue collar cities. That is one of the main reason's I am happy about the development in DC. The bars are coming off the windows and the crack heads are clearing out. The drive bye's are ending. You can walk around and feel safe in many area's now. It's a new day in D.C.
I rather have some grittyness with character and buildings that actually stick out than some sterile generic buildings like DC. I can't name one building that sticks out in DC thats not a monument or in the mall. Downtown DC imo is boring imo. Just a bunch of buildings that are all the same height with extremely wide streets and generic retail that is a ghost town after 5 with the exception of gallery place. DC has a higher crime rate than Philly btw.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:22 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,161,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
Well I would argue that DC is probably the only "true" white collar city in the country. In my opinion, cities/neighborhoods that started off Blue Collar tend to be more interesting (NYC, Philly, Chicago, Boston), as they have more of an identity. DC is a city of extremes, neighborhoods are either very polished or very ghetto, there are not many neighborhoods that are in between.

I agree with what you said earlier, that DC is playing catch-up, and I dont think anybody would argue the growth DC is seeing is great for the city; but my biggest complaint is within the design of the buildings. DC is turning into a city of nothing but boring/sterile glass boxes. Sure they are new and shiny now, but will one day not be new, and I dont think those designs will stand the test of time (architecturally speaking), I prefer a mix of buildings.

DC never really had immigrant neighborhoods the way other large cities in this country did (since there wasn't really any blue collar jobs), so it didn't really develop with the same type of culture, IMO. However, this could be a Black vs. White type thing, as I am White and prefer NYC/Philly/Boston/Chicago type cities where my Black friends prefer DC/Atlanta.

Like you said, it's all a matter of taste/preference.
This^^^^^ DC's ethnic group has always been African Americans. They are to DC what the Irish are to Boston and the Polish to Chicago. As for the design of the buildings, there isn't to much you can do with 13 stories. Plus DC looks vastly different because of the building height limitations compared to cities that have buildings of all different sizes. I want to clear up a few misconceptions about DT DC. During the day, there are more than 500,000 people in DT DC. 900,000 on the subway. Plus, at any given time, there are 100,000 tourist walking around. Philly can't match this vibrancy during the day. At night, parts of DT DC clears out. However, the area around the Verizon Center (Chinatown/Penn Quarter) is always vibrant day and night and into the wee hours of the morning. If the Wizards or Caps are playing, the area is filled with a mass amount of people mingling at bars and restaurants.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
I rather have some grittyness with character and buildings that actually stick out than some sterile generic buildings like DC. I can't name one building that sticks out in DC thats not a monument or in the mall. Downtown DC imo is boring imo. Just a bunch of buildings that are all the same height with extremely wide streets and generic retail that is a ghost town after 5 with the exception of gallery place. DC has a higher crime rate than Philly btw.
Hmmm! First, the streets in DC are not extremely wide. The avenues are wide but the other streets are average with the exception of K street. If DC is a ghost town at 5, why is it impossible to get a parking spot at times? There is so much more to do in DT DC than in Philly on a given day. Philly doesn't offer the same cultural ammenities. Plus, it's filthy in some areas. Philly's Chinatown doesn't compare to Gallery Place when it comes to 24 hour vibrancy.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:29 AM

Quote:
I was in NW dc, or wherever the hell Adams Morgan is. I didn't go downtown. Don't sleep on DC, that city is very busy. Busier than philly when i went.
Right and he knows Philly doesn't have DC's nightlife on any level. Last call is at 1:30 in Philly. That's ridiculous. LOL I have met too many people coming from Philly to party in DC. They Know what's up.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Right and he knows Philly doesn't have DC's nightlife on any level. Last call is at 1:30 in Philly. That's ridiculous. LOL I have met too many people coming from Philly to party in DC. They Know what's up.
Night life on any level? LMAO who's coming to DC to party? People in the surrounding area? Maryland? Virginia? sure. DC excels in clubs/bars catering to AA so please wave that flag loud and proud if thats your thing..Im not going to take that from you.

I recently went to DC for the first time to experience it's nightlife..and it was quite dead as far as bustling/street activity. My recent visit to a spot called Bar7 is a prime example.. we had a blast..but it wasnt anything at all that would make me say "Oh Im coming back here!" and while the place had good music and it was full of people..the streets were dead outside. we were able to find parking quite easily and had no problem getting back to the car with no crowds/heavy traffic..In no way would it have been as easy to get around in say Old City too much goin on

However this is about DT's which brings me back to my intial post..DC is still trying to make their DT happen?

Old 03-08-2012, 08:03 AM

Quote:
This is about DT's though kiddo. See the title of the thread?

But even on that note I'm not sleeping on DC's nightlife at all..I enojyed myself when I went..nor would I discredit its "Bustle" but its not the same..thats all I'm saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City