Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the South really the best place for an Indian to be?
Yes, it isn't as bad as the stereotypes claim it to be, come on or go on down partna! 21 55.26%
Just your experience, maybe you were in the wrong part of the Northeast. 17 44.74%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 10:13 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,848,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footballfreak View Post
Why is this so important to you? Every thread you have made has been about indians and biracial dating.

The south is the last place any race wants to live.
blacks are flocking to the south cause it's where the party's at
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2010, 10:14 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,049,308 times
Quote:
See, I didn't know that, but in general when I think of the south, I think of Mississippi, Alabama, Kentucky, Arkansas, Texas, and Louisiana. For some reason in never considered Florida part of the south because from what I know the culture is different from the rest of the south. It's hard to explain.
Haha its cool dude. To be honest growing up I never had a favorable impression of the South either. And for that matter I remember me and friends at school, especially in 9th grade used to make fun of the South (started after we read To Kill A Mockingbird) in class. And then it got to the most hated class I took in High School, English III, lots of novelties that took place in the South.

I remember we all used to just make fun of the South. We didn't know Texas was apart of the South lol. But over time I actually visited most of those states that I used to make fun of. And it left an impression for me.

I stopped making fun of people for being different, the way they talk, and who they are, it just seemed really low for me. I thought about it, and its history, people have always made fun of the South because its fun and easy but its low to make fun of and damage something that doesn't even have a chance to fight back. It just makes a person even more a bully.

Personally I wouldn't ever live in Mississippi, Alabama, or South Carolina. Because I'm a big city person, big cities, diverse cities, glitzy and modern looking cities and convenient cities is what I like. And I got that with all the places I live in, Chicago, Houston, Washington DC, & Austin.

But yeah, there's just a major drop off to it in general. The South from what I personally went through and saw can be an interesting place. I'll share with you the first time I heard a Southern accent.

I was a douche about it, the first time I heard a Southern accent because I've never heard one before, I immediately got my camera out and took a video of it because it was something new to me. I never heard of it before, and I just didn't know what the impression for it was.

The region for the most part is quite misunderstood. Like for example this summer I saw at least half the country. From Houston to Miami drive, and I made sure I got to see everything big in between like New Orleans, Tampa, Orlando (Saw it once before this too). And then from Miami to New York City, and again everything in between.

And most don't realize how redneck Miami is right outside of the city limits area. Miami & Houston and some of the other large cities in the South aren't Southern by nature. The difference is that they became gates for immigrants, and both Miami & Houston, along with Dallas now are huge on immigration. That wipes away whatever regional culture they clinged to in the past.

The South is interesting in the sense that you can see so many different things all in one area that you cant imagine. poverty, crime, accents, political views, and religious caterings but those go alongside with things that the big cities have directed out like nightlife, parties, fun in the sun, nothing but a chillax setting so to speak.

When I talked to people in Pensacola, Florida they were nice to me until they found out I was from Houston. Now they weren't mean afterwards but I got to know how people think in Southern towns, many of them like their lifestyles and they don't look at big cities favorably.

I guess it is what it is though. For the most part yeah, my city is known to be a very Hispanic dominated city, it gets a pretty bum wrap for Illegal Immigrants just like the way Los Angeles does in the west. And it was never the Bible Belt either because of the diversity found here in terms of religion, you have Hindus, Buddhists, Shintos, Daos, Muslims, Jews, Christians, & Atheists all in one place. Majority of my friends are Atheists here, but its all in one city.

After living in Chicago, Houston, Austin, & Washington DC together, I often find myself defending Houston the most haha, I guess its the one that I enjoy the most. And to be honest out of ALL 4 of them, its the most integrated and peaceful one for me to just be me.

I stopped thinking about Southerners as below me a long while ago, and started thinking of how great it is to be American in general, all of us. Whether good or bad we all bold America's future. And there was really a point where it had me feeling terrible that I was out bashing people and a place that NEVER seemed to have caught a break. Mistakes have happened before in the past but after seeing people in real life, most of them just want to live their lives in peace like any of us actually, and I can respect that.

City's may seem like a small make up of an entire state, but cities control the world. Houston ranks with cities of the world from other countries, not Texas. Texas can take a backseat to its cities and back off, I wish those hicks in office would. But mehh haha I guess it just is what it is.

Old 12-01-2010, 10:16 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,174,412 times
People here have no clue about what I know or don't know. (not you Danny)

whatever. I'm out.

BTW, I have had 5 reputation comments given to me about my statements in this thread so they have to be close to the truth.

Old 12-01-2010, 10:19 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times
Quote:
lol you've got to be kidding. SoCal is super diverse and is getting more diverse every year.
diverse for some, not for me. That place is scary to me. all the way up to LA

Old 12-01-2010, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgamibi View Post

HTownLove: I don't have that high of an opinion of you but I do agree with your statement. California isn't really meant for Indians and Blacks, it is more so meant for Hispanics, Whites and in some cases Asians. But I am not going to rant about Cali, always wanted to live there but they don't like my type.
it is okay, the feeling is mutual

Old 12-01-2010, 10:23 PM

Quote:
I was saying there isn't as many Asians in the south. and not as many hispanics in the south outside of Miami
SAn ANtonio has the same percentage of hispanics as MIami and I think Houston has more in raw numbers, so you are off track on this one

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
I am just stating the obvious.

If people such as DANNY and HTownlove have no bad experiences here than it is a misnomer to characterise the whole state as such. Oh, and fyi Houston has the third largest Mexican and Vietnamese population in the country along with the largest Nigerian population.
no complaints from me on that one, Houston has always felt like home. Warm and welcoming. Houston's racial make up matches the US's almost exactly. It is like a rainbow here. Common down to the South Footballfreak and taste the rainbow.

Old 12-01-2010, 10:23 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times
Quote:
The south is the last place any race wants to live.
As a former Californian, all I can say to your post is "WRONG". BTW, I am a very left leaning liberal who is perfectly happy when in NC. There are lots of things that I like about California but the smugness of the place certainly isn't one of them.

Old 12-01-2010, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
Haha its cool dude. To be honest growing up I never had a favorable impression of the South either. And for that matter I remember me and friends at school, especially in 9th grade used to make fun of the South (started after we read To Kill A Mockingbird) in class. And then it got to the most hated class I took in High School, English III, lots of novelties that took place in the South.

I remember we all used to just make fun of the South. We didn't know Texas was apart of the South lol. But over time I actually visited most of those states that I used to make fun of. And it left an impression for me.

I stopped making fun of people for being different, the way they talk, and who they are, it just seemed really low for me. I thought about it, and its history, people have always made fun of the South because its fun and easy but its low to make fun of and damage something that doesn't even have a chance to fight back. It just makes a person even more a bully.

Personally I wouldn't ever live in Mississippi, Alabama, or South Carolina. Because I'm a big city person, big cities, diverse cities, glitzy and modern looking cities and convenient cities is what I like. And I got that with all the places I live in, Chicago, Houston, Washington DC, & Austin.

But yeah, there's just a major drop off to it in general. The South from what I personally went through and saw can be an interesting place. I'll share with you the first time I heard a Southern accent.

I was a douche about it, the first time I heard a Southern accent because I've never heard one before, I immediately got my camera out and took a video of it because it was something new to me. I never heard of it before, and I just didn't know what the impression for it was.

The region for the most part is quite misunderstood. Like for example this summer I saw at least half the country. From Houston to Miami drive, and I made sure I got to see everything big in between like New Orleans, Tampa, Orlando (Saw it once before this too). And then from Miami to New York City, and again everything in between.

And most don't realize how redneck Miami is right outside of the city limits area. Miami & Houston and some of the other large cities in the South aren't Southern by nature. The difference is that they became gates for immigrants, and both Miami & Houston, along with Dallas now are huge on immigration. That wipes away whatever regional culture they clinged to in the past.

The South is interesting in the sense that you can see so many different things all in one area that you cant imagine. poverty, crime, accents, political views, and religious caterings but those go alongside with things that the big cities have directed out like nightlife, parties, fun in the sun, nothing but a chillax setting so to speak.

When I talked to people in Pensacola, Florida they were nice to me until they found out I was from Houston. Now they weren't mean afterwards but I got to know how people think in Southern towns, many of them like their lifestyles and they don't look at big cities favorably.

I guess it is what it is though. For the most part yeah, my city is known to be a very Hispanic dominated city, it gets a pretty bum wrap for Illegal Immigrants just like the way Los Angeles does in the west. And it was never the Bible Belt either because of the diversity found here in terms of religion, you have Hindus, Buddhists, Shintos, Daos, Muslims, Jews, Christians, & Atheists all in one place. Majority of my friends are Atheists here, but its all in one city.

After living in Chicago, Houston, Austin, & Washington DC together, I often find myself defending Houston the most haha, I guess its the one that I enjoy the most. And to be honest out of ALL 4 of them, its the most integrated and peaceful one for me to just be me.

I stopped thinking about Southerners as below me a long while ago, and started thinking of how great it is to be American in general, all of us. Whether good or bad we all bold America's future. And there was really a point where it had me feeling terrible that I was out bashing people and a place that NEVER seemed to have caught a break. Mistakes have happened before in the past but after seeing people in real life, most of them just want to live their lives in peace like any of us actually, and I can respect that.

City's may seem like a small make up of an entire state, but cities control the world. Houston ranks with cities of the world from other countries, not Texas. Texas can take a backseat to its cities and back off, I wish those hicks in office would. But mehh haha I guess it just is what it is.

hahaha so true. In high school every book we read was about the south and people would crack jokes about it all the time. Not everybodu in the south is racist or homophobic but you have to admit that a good amount are and I think that's why the south gets picked on because they aren't as tolorent of others as a lot of other places are.

That is true about the culture thing too. Every part of America has their own unique culture and way of life. I may hate the politics of the south but I don't hate those who live there as I don't know them.

Old 12-01-2010, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
As a former Californian, all I can say to your post is "WRONG". BTW, I am a very left leaning liberal who is perfectly happy when in NC. There are lots of things that I like about California but the smugness of the place certainly isn't one of them.
Again I wasn't talking about NC or SC in my post.

and did I ever say California was better? I never even said anything about it being better.

Old 12-01-2010, 10:27 PM

8,486 posts, read 14,999,411 times
Quote:
I was saying there isn't as many Asians in the south. and not as many hispanics in the south outside of Miami
Also not true.

The South is divided thusly by the Census Bureau 2009 estimate:
South Region - ACS Demographic and Housing Estimates: 2009

Total population - 113,317,879

White - 69,338,987

Black - 21,206,562

Asian - 2,930,117

Latino - 17,210,720

Interracial (of any combination) - 1,790,863

Why would 20,000,000 asian and latino live somewhere that is dangerous for them?

For the OP...

The largest sing group of Asians in the South are Indians at a population of 737,423. In other words, you will be just fine.

It may also interest you to know that the largest Hindu temple on Earth outside of India is located in the South:

BAPS Shri Swaminarayan Mandir Atlanta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City