Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: most urban?
SF 167 31.87%
LA 71 13.55%
DC 45 8.59%
Philly 165 31.49%
Boston 76 14.50%
Voters: 524. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 03:27 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,845,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Many American cities had streetcars, including Atlanta. A streetcar is no different from a bus at the end of the day.

Streetcars in Atlanta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The big difference is that Philly, Boston and DC had built most of their infrastructure even before the advent of streetcars. In other words, they were designed primarily for walking.
I know that small towns even had streetcars, and that yes, they are merely fixed track buses.

You are suggesting that cities built for walking are better than cities built for mass transit. You sure you want to stand by that statement? Because I disagree 100%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 03:28 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,558,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
That might be a little harsh.

I agree with the overall premise but would change Los Angeles for "car-oriented urban development" - which was the urban model for Los Angeles from the 1950s to the 1990s. The city wasn't founded on that model however, which is evident in the core. However the Valley and Westside were largely developed during that period, and that is why I think they more closely mirror your opinions of the entire city.
That model for that time period was implemented almost nationwide where the relative abundance of buildable land permitted. LA is simply a younger city and came of age in a different time and in a unique geographic context. That causes anxiety among many East Coasters who are unfamiliar with both, and leaves them at a loss to explain the city’s seemingly spontaneous ascendance.

Old 02-02-2012, 03:28 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliSon View Post
Did I say I still live there? I see this area for what it is, not from a loft in downtown, I had family living out there up until 08, I know the area better than most people.
Munchitup lives in the core right now. You said that you only lived there as a small child. I will take his word over yours because: (1) he lives there now as an adult and (2) he has stated himself that he is an avid walker.

Old 02-02-2012, 03:32 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
That causes anxiety among many East Coasters who are unfamiliar with both, and leaves them at a loss to explain the city’s seemingly spontaneous ascendance.
Brrrr?

Can you find a study from the NYC Office of Planning that recommends running expressways through neighborhoods, placing houses on individual lots, implementing zoning regulations that segregate uses, and setting up the city in such a way as to encourage driving (i.e., surface lots downtown, lack of public transit, etc.)? Again, you guys are jocking our model, not the other way around.

Old 02-02-2012, 03:36 PM

422 posts, read 815,285 times
Imo, it's difficult to define urban when talking about a sprawled out city. For an example, people from Atlanta, Dallas, Houston or LA would undoubtedly argue that their cities are as urban as SF or Philadelphia.

I think it all comes down to walkability. Blame it on walk score (lol). Seriously, those aforementioned cities are all on the same level of urbanity, it's the density of the dc, sf, phi and bos that fuel the argument that those cities are more urban. My thought, if you have a city where you have world class transportation, world class health care options, world class sports venues, world class food and world class companies, how can you really dispute cities 3-10. NYC, Chicago and LA are massive (even if LA is spread out). Trust me, I lived in downtown Chicago and the westside and the south side resemble the makeup of a sprawled city more than they do the core. But most ppl never want to discuss that. And even though I'm not an LA fan, but I'm also not an LA hater.

Old 02-02-2012, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Brrrr?

Can you find a study from the NYC Office of Planning that recommends running expressways through neighborhoods, placing houses on individual lots, implementing zoning regulations that segregate uses, and setting up the city in such a way as to encourage driving (i.e., surface lots downtown, lack of public transit, etc.)? Again, you guys are jocking our model, not the other way around.
That is not what he was saying at all. And LA is not following a NY model either, though it is influenced by NYC. Los Angeles is a young city, and has its own unique urban model.

There is one freeway bisecting the core, and downtown is encircled by them. There really are not a lot of freeways in the middle of the city.

Plus, there is a strong movement to put a cap park over the freeway through Hollywood where it runs below grade. The new community plan puts a strong emphasis on this project.

Old 02-02-2012, 03:38 PM

14,010 posts, read 14,995,436 times
Quote:
That is not what he was saying at all. And LA is not following a NY model either, though it is influenced by NYC. Los Angeles is a young city, and has its own unique urban model.

There is one freeway bisecting the core, and downtown is encircled by them. There really are not a lot of freeways in the middle of the city.

Plus, there is a strong movement to put a cap park over the freeway through Hollywood where it runs below grade. The new community plan puts a strong emphasis on this project.
Sort of like the Big Dig?

Old 02-02-2012, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Sort of like the Big Dig?
Sort of, but it is already in a trench so it is more like a cap over the existing trench. I'm not sure it is a great idea, might be too cost prohibitive but it would certainly tie East Hollywood and Central Hollywood together. The freeway is most definitely a scar on the urban landscape.

I didn't live in Boston before the Big Dig (wife's parents did though) but from what I hear it has changed downtown significantly for the better. (I know about all the corruption, construction delays, etc BTW)

Old 02-02-2012, 03:43 PM

14,010 posts, read 14,995,436 times
Quote:
Sort of, but it is already in a trench so it is more like a cap over the existing trench. I'm not sure it is a great idea, might be too cost prohibitive but it would certainly tie East Hollywood and Central Hollywood together. The freeway is most definitely a scar on the urban landscape.

I didn't live in Boston before the Big Dig (wife's parents did though) but from what I hear it has changed downtown significantly for the better. (I know about all the corruption, construction delays, etc BTW)
Ok, so hopefully it would be a fiscal disaster like the Bid Dig, that would do wonders for those areas, do you have any idea how long the cap will be.

Old 02-02-2012, 03:46 PM

896 posts, read 1,168,968 times
Quote:
Munchitup lives in the core right now. You said that you only lived there as a small child. I will take his word over yours because: (1) he lives there now as an adult and (2) he has stated himself that he is an avid walker.
I don't care if he's an avid walker or not I have been everywhere from the gritty parts of the core to the new "hipster" parts, I still have friends in Westlake, I've seen people covered up in tarps from keeping the rain off of them and yellow ones on homicide victims ask munch about what he knows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City