Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 09:19 PM

273 posts, read 349,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paris-on-ponce View Post
Your post is a total mess. It demands an ignorance of geography, climatology, economics, and population trends to be read as anything other than broad comedy.

What do the Appalachian Mountains possibly have to do with population growth?! But since you brought it up, you should look at a map. The Appalachian Trail actually starts in Georgia.

Beautiful beaches?

Coastal Georgia boasts Savannah and the Barrier Islands as well as some of the finest resort hotels in the country. As a wildlife preserve and getaway for the super rich, Cumberland Island is peerless when compared with the best coastal North Carolina has to offer.

Economics:

Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill has a GDP of approx $103 billion. Charlotte's is approx $139 billion. Since I don't expect you to do the math, I'll gladly do it for you. Added together, the Research Triangle and Charlotte have a GDP of $242 billion. I don't see how Atlanta "simply can't compete" with that.

Aaaaaaaaand, as another poster pointed out, GA - while already more populous than NC - is actually gaining more in sheer numbers. Meaning, GA is pulling further ahead.

So how - unless you were trying to make with the funny - is it "North Carolina by a mile, this one's not even close?"
Read my post above where I provided a link that clearly shows North Carolina having a higher GDP than Georgia despite Georgia having a higher population.

Please tell me you're not actually comparing the small foothills of the Appalachian mountains in northern Georgia to the spectacular stretch of the Appalachians that run through western North Carolina?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2015, 10:33 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,130,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Valencia View Post
Read my post above where I provided a link that clearly shows North Carolina having a higher GDP than Georgia despite Georgia having a higher population.

Please tell me you're not actually comparing the small foothills of the Appalachian mountains in northern Georgia to the spectacular stretch of the Appalachians that run through western North Carolina?
It's GDP isn't even that much higher. You're pulling straws. And when did GDP become the end all be all? Right now outside of Atlanta, Georgia is struggling...Atlanta is literally carrying about 90% of Georgia's growth. Yes, 90%. That's how important Atlanta is to Georgia than Charlotte or the Triangle is to North Carolina.

Old 01-31-2015, 05:08 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
It's GDP isn't even that much higher. You're pulling straws. And when did GDP become the end all be all? Right now outside of Atlanta, Georgia is struggling...Atlanta is literally carrying about 90% of Georgia's growth. Yes, 90%. That's how important Atlanta is to Georgia than Charlotte or the Triangle is to North Carolina.
Which is why, as a state, I think NC has the better set-up.

Old 01-31-2015, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Which is why, as a state, I think NC has the better set-up.
NC might become a future Texas and have several large metropolis, but it will be a while before it has a large, mega metropolis since the growth is shared between Charlotte and Raleigh...That can be good or bad depending on how you look at it.

It's why Atlanta gets so much development even when it was falling through hard times the last 4 years or so. There's no other city in Georgia that can compete.

Old 01-31-2015, 11:20 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
NC might become a future Texas and have several large metropolis, but it will be a while before it has a large, mega metropolis since the growth is shared between Charlotte and Raleigh...That can be good or bad depending on how you look at it.
From a statewide perspective, I think it's good; having the prosperity spread out a little more is a positive. It also tends to have more of a positive effect on state politics since the small-town conservative politicos can't rally together and focus all of their hatred on the state's one big, bad city.

Old 01-31-2015, 11:27 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,150,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paris-on-ponce View Post
Your post is a total mess. It demands an ignorance of geography, climatology, economics, and population trends to be read as anything other than broad comedy.

What do the Appalachian Mountains possibly have to do with population growth?! But since you brought it up, you should look at a map. The Appalachian Trail actually starts in Georgia.

Beautiful beaches?

Coastal Georgia boasts Savannah and the Barrier Islands as well as some of the finest resort hotels in the country. As a wildlife preserve and getaway for the super rich, Cumberland Island is peerless when compared with the best coastal North Carolina has to offer.

Economics:

Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill has a GDP of approx $103 billion. Charlotte's is approx $139 billion. Since I don't expect you to do the math, I'll gladly do it for you. Added together, the Research Triangle and Charlotte have a GDP of $242 billion. I don't see how Atlanta "simply can't compete" with that.

Aaaaaaaaand, as another poster pointed out, GA - while already more populous than NC - is actually gaining more in sheer numbers. Meaning, GA is pulling further ahead.

So how - unless you were trying to make with the funny - is it "North Carolina by a mile, this one's not even close?"
I agree that it's silly and (I'll add) grossly uninformed to presume that NC will somehow leave GA in its proverbial "wake" as it speeds by. Likewise, I think the same in vice versa. That said I do agree that both states will continue to march past the states above them to eventually settle somewhere in the 5th-7th spots in national rankings of population. However, I don't see either state marching up the rankings any further until at least the 2030 Census year, if not later. Assuming approximately 100K increase in population per year for both GA & NC, and assuming a continuation of relatively flat population in Ohio, neither state will reach population parity for the next 15 years. PA & IL are another 12-15 years away after passing Ohio.
Of course, significant economic shifts may occur that changes the pattern between now and then and those can change the scenario outcomes.

Old 02-01-2015, 07:03 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,300,881 times
[quote=Ant131531;38247379]It's GDP isn't even that much higher. You're pulling straws. And when did GDP become the end all be all? Right now outside of Atlanta, Georgia is struggling...Atlanta is literally carrying about 90% of Georgia's growth. Yes, 90%. That's how important Atlanta is to Georgia than Charlotte or the Triangle is to North Carolina.[/QUOTE]

I'm trying to understand how Atlanta accounting for 90% of GAs growth and GDP per s a good thing and the fact that Charlotte nor Raleigh-Durham will account for that is a bad thing? GA has s me other engines behind it, namely the beast of a port in Savannah and NC has two great military installations in Jacksonville and Fayetteville. Just some small nuggets to point out.. But the growth of Charlotte and Raleigh-Durham is part of the reason why NC has a higher GDP with less population. GDP is not the standard by any means but it does speak to the economy of the state.

Old 02-03-2015, 06:40 AM

74 posts, read 151,708 times
Charlotte and Raleigh are by far the two major power houses of NC. With those two cities being the source of over 50% of NC GDP if I'm not mistaking, the Triad had a GDP of 72 billion in 2012. While its nothing to brag about, that is 16% of the total GDP as a state. The rest is spread out between other cities such as Wilmington, Asheville, Fayetteville. Winston-Salem is taking major steps to put it back into its spot light. Its only a matter of time before the Triad wakes up

Old 02-03-2015, 12:52 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,490,287 times
If the Triad starts catching up with the Triangle/Charlotte and the rest of Georgia fails to catch up to the Atlanta metro, no question North Carolina will zip past Georgia eventually. I'd like to see some growth come to cities along the lines of Macon, Augusta, Columbus, etc. Maybe I'm crazy, but isn't Macon growing due to it's proximity to Atlanta? It's only an hour away, am I wrong? I could possibly see people living in Macon and commuting to Atlanta, some folks do that here in North Carolina like commuting to Raleigh/Durham from Greensboro and vice versa. Same with Savannah. I keep hearing how Charleston is growing and becoming so much New South-ish, isn't that also happening in Savannah? I know it's not that simple, but still.

Last edited by JayJayCB; 02-03-2015 at 01:09 PM..

Old 02-03-2015, 12:58 PM

Macon is in decline...I think many people living in the Macon area are headed for Atlanta, NC, or Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City