Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is worst
Washington, D.C. 34 10.33%
New York City 85 25.84%
Chicago 155 47.11%
Los Angeles 23 6.99%
Atlanta 32 9.73%
Voters: 329. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 12:07 PM

1,103 posts, read 2,260,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
LOL @ people thinking NYC's projects are so awful and LA's aren't. Anyone voting like this hasn't walked by/through the jects in both cities and has no idea. Lol.
la and ny aren't bad overall but brownsville is worse than compton. brownsville had around the same number of murders as all of compton last year and yet is less than half the size.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 02:40 PM

2,593 posts, read 4,653,653 times
Default boreatwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tig
er Blood;19137382
Nice cherry picking there. If you would have read my entire post instead of cutting and pasting that one line, you would know that I didn't say San Francisco is the only city in the U.S where less than 10% of the population is Black.

I said San Francisco is the only city in the U.S that is both less than 10% Black while at the same time also having a significant number of housing projects.

Name any other city in the U.S that is less than 10% Black, that has as many housing projects as San Francisco does. Like I said when I was in Phoenix and San Jose, I didn't see any housing projects there.

Housing projects are usually found in cities that have a very high percentage of Black people, like Chicago, Detroit, New Orleans, Oakland, etc.
Just how many projects are there in sf

Old 05-13-2011, 02:52 PM

531 posts, read 1,143,285 times
NYC definitely has some terrible projects, but there's no way in hell they are as bad as those in Chicago.

Old 05-13-2011, 05:40 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,747,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
Just how many projects are there in sf

Major SF Projects:

Potrero Hill
Double Rock
Alemany
Sunnydale
Westside
Eddy Block

There's tons of smaller ones throughout the city as well.

Old 05-13-2011, 06:42 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,402,204 times
damn i guess new york city is the only city with a diverse population in housing projects, mostly black and puerto rican with a huge amount of asians in china town/lower east side, and flushing, with white folks living in housing projects in southern brooklyn neighborhood and staten island. shrugs.

Old 05-13-2011, 06:52 PM

32 posts, read 52,051 times
most projects have been torn down an replace with mixed income.
they are almost a thing of the past.

Old 05-13-2011, 08:59 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,472,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticGermanicPride View Post
la and ny aren't bad overall but brownsville is worse than compton. brownsville had around the same number of murders as all of compton last year and yet is less than half the size.
Compton is a separate city and doesn't have any projects that I know of. LA's projects are in LA city proper, in Watts and South Central, etc.

And Brownsville is larger than Compton (116,000 vs. 94,000), so I'm not quite sure what you were getting at there, unless you meant land-wise which isn't really relevant to anything.

Project hood vs. gang capitol suburb, its kind of apples and oranges. But either way, Compton is worse than Brownsville by the metric you gave, and that still isn't even touching on how bad LA's 'jects are like Nickerson Gardens, Imperial Courts, Jordan Downs, etc.

Old 05-13-2011, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Major SF Projects:

Potrero Hill
Double Rock
Alemany
Sunnydale
Westside
Eddy Block

There's tons of smaller ones throughout the city as well.
Those are some, but you're leaving out quite a few:

Sunnydale
Towerside
Potrero Terrace
Potrero Annex
Alice Griffith (aka 2 Rock/Double Rock)
Northridge (aka Harbor Rd)
Oakdale
Hunters View (aka West Point - recently demolished tho)
Kirkwood
Bernal Dwellings (aka Army St.)
Valencia Gardens (not really too dangerous anymore tho)
200 Block/Randolph
Alemany (aka the Black Hole)
Holly Courts
Diamond Heights (Addison St)
North Beach (not bad since they were rebuilt)
Chinatown (Ping Yuens - there's like 3 different ones)
Plaza East (aka OC/Eddy Block)
Turkwood
Friendship Village
KOP (forget the name of the building, but Messy Marv's block)
Westside Courts
Banneker Homes
Hayes Valley (aka Death Valley)
Page St

Then you got all the many other lesser ones throughout the City, like Clementina St., Fulton Block, etc. (Sorry if I repeated what you had put; I went through these in my head by neighborhood lol.)

Old 05-13-2011, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
damn i guess new york city is the only city with a diverse population in housing projects, mostly black and puerto rican with a huge amount of asians in china town/lower east side, and flushing, with white folks living in housing projects in southern brooklyn neighborhood and staten island. shrugs.
Wrong. Its definitely not the ONLY city with project diversity. SF is just as diverse if not more so with its public housing population. Its majority black and Latino (Mexican, Puerto Rican, Guatemalan, Salvadoran), but there are a ton of Samoans, some Vietnamese, some Iraqis (and other Middle Easterners), Cambodians, Filipinos, and all the Chinatown projects are mostly Chinese. Its surprisingly diverse, although I don't know of any white folks (or at least fully white) living in SF housing projects - I'd guess that there are a few here and there, but none that I personally know of. The rest I listed I can personally vouch for tho.

Old 05-13-2011, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrustyJanitor View Post
most projects have been torn down an replace with mixed income.
they are almost a thing of the past.
Agreed. Most of the worst ones out here are either all gone or in the process of it. The mixed income deal is still weird to me, and I don't understand how the higher income residents of them agree to it. But the ones out here seem to be working better than the old method so far.

Another thing they are doing now with the rebuilt projects is painting them all these fruity pastel colors and making them townhouse-like with no (or little) gathering areas in the middle to congregate. It seems to be reducing the crime really well IMO, since everything's out in the open and the worst of the worst are gone or going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City