Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Miami or Atlanta?
Miami 52 43.70%
Atlanta 59 49.58%
tie 8 6.72%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 02:27 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
You are so right.This is the Miami they dont show you on T.V.:
Miami’s Glamorous Image Hides Underlying Racial TensionsPolitical News and Opinion from a Multicultural Point of View | Political News and Opinion from a Multicultural Point of View

http://http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=129530561 (broken link)

This stuff does not happen so regularly in Atlanta so I dont know where the "racial tensions" the poster was referring too.
At times it feels like that's the ONLY Miami they show on TV. It seems every movie, video-game, show, etc, based in Miami is either about crime, drugs, or poverty. The REAL Miami that they ignore, are the middle-class Hispanic communities in West and Southwest of the city, and some of the middle-class black communities in Northeast Miami Gardens.

It's funny how in 2011, with all these crime shows(especially the 1st 48), video-games, movies, rappers, etc people STILL think they don't show the "REAL" Miami. Hell, if that's the case, they don't show the real Atlanta, the real NYC, the real LA, the real Houston, the real Charlotte, etc. There's Dexter, The Glades, CSI Miami, Miami Vice, COPS(Which it's 1st episode actually took place in adjacent Broward County), Police Women of Broward County, Bad Boys I and II, Miami Vice(the movie). A good portion of the US has heard of Little Haiti(thanks to Bad Boys 2, and GTA Vice City, and 1st 48) and Overtown(thanks to 1st 48) but many of them probably never heard of West Miami, Westchester, or Kendall.

Hell, thanks to the show Gangland, every Haitian from West Palm Beach down to Little Haiti is a gang-member(top 6 and zoe pound). We're notorious

Gangsta Killers Top 6 Gang Pt. 1 - YouTube

Gangland season 3 episode 37 Zoe Pound part1 http://1-inmate-locator.blogspot.com/ - YouTube

If they ain't showin South Beach, you know what they're showing. YEP, they NEVER show you the "REAL" Miami. But in reality, all they ever do is show you the REAL Miami.

Last edited by polo89; 10-14-2011 at 02:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2011, 02:50 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,099,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnamon Delight View Post
3) I never said there was "rampant" racism in Georgia. I said there was an undercurrent due to white people's resentment that the Metro Atlanta area is a popular place to relocate for black people and there is this feeling of an undercurrent. Look how angry they are in the Atlanta boards. Why do you think the suburbs sprawl so much there the way they do? Especially as the black population has increased in the Metro area...

^^ Yep, lots of hate groups to the North and West of Atlanta like I said in the first damn place.

Stay pressed lovemuffins! Off to lunch!
The point of me posting the link was to show DC or the DMV area has no more or no less hate groups than North and West of Atlanta does. Hate groups in Georgia isn't a excepting or anything to be noted from any other state. look at the DC area and other cities. So mentioning Georgia is a exaggeration. Also white flight isn't anything unique to any metro.

Old 10-14-2011, 03:58 PM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
The point of me posting the link was to show DC or the DMV area has no more or no less hate groups than North and West of Atlanta does. Hate groups in Georgia isn't a excepting or anything to be noted from any other state. look at the DC area and other cities. So mentioning Georgia is a exaggeration. Also white flight isn't anything unique to any metro.
Yeah, I didn't know what the point was about hate groups, but she is right about the undercurrent of racial tension that exists in metro Atlanta to a degree not found in most of its peer cities, and a lot of it does have to do with Atlanta's popularity among African Americans.

Old 10-14-2011, 10:51 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Yeah, I didn't know what the point was about hate groups, but she is right about the undercurrent of racial tension that exists in metro Atlanta to a degree not found in most of its peer cities, and a lot of it does have to do with Atlanta's popularity among African Americans.
As I said before.People move away based on negative perceptions.Thats not happening in Atlanta.People may talk because its associated with "hip-hop" more than anything.
Atlanta is only being looked at this way as different because its in the South.Philadelphia,Detroit,D.C.,Chicago ALL have extreme issues with race the like Atlanta has not seen since before Jim Crow.
D.C and Atlanta are on a similar path.Due to the high amounts of citizen from a historically lower inner city black populace.However the large influx of white citizens moving in traditional and historic black neighborhoods.
I remember just 10 years ago how D.C. was the "real Chocalate City and was still shaking off the image Marion Barry.

Chicago,Cleveland,Milwaukee have the highest segregation rates in the country.
Even NYC is loosing its black population.

Old 10-14-2011, 11:55 PM

Quote:
As I said before.People move away based on negative perceptions.Thats not happening in Atlanta.People may talk because its associated with "hip-hop" more than anything.
Atlanta is only being looked at this way as different because its in the South.Philadelphia,Detroit,D.C.,Chicago ALL have extreme issues with race the like Atlanta has not seen since before Jim Crow.
D.C and Atlanta are on a similar path.Due to the high amounts of citizen from a historically lower inner city black populace.However the large influx of white citizens moving in traditional and historic black neighborhoods.
I remember just 10 years ago how D.C. was the "real Chocalate City and was still shaking off the image Marion Barry.

Chicago,Cleveland,Milwaukee have the highest segregation rates in the country.
Even NYC is loosing its black population.
Yes, but there is a much different dynamic at play in Atlanta because of its location in the Deep South. Furthermore, very few of the cities you mention have the combination of longstanding Black political leadership and economic prosperity that Atlanta has enjoyed since the 70's. That's true of DC, but there are different factors at play there due to its status as the seat of federal government that makes things a bit different than in Atlanta.

IMO, this puts Atlanta in a peculiar position from a regional perspective. The Southern cities that deal with similar levels of racial tension are those whose heydays have largely come and gone, e.g. Birmingham, Memphis, New Orleans, etc. The cities that more or less serve as Atlanta's competition from an economic standpoint--Houston, Dallas, Tampa, Nashville, Charlotte, Raleigh, etc.--don't experience nearly the same amount of dissonance.

Old 10-15-2011, 05:21 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Yes, but there is a much different dynamic at play in Atlanta because of its location in the Deep South. Furthermore, very few of the cities you mention have the combination of longstanding Black political leadership and economic prosperity that Atlanta has enjoyed since the 70's. That's true of DC, but there are different factors at play there due to its status as the seat of federal government that makes things a bit different than in Atlanta.

IMO, this puts Atlanta in a peculiar position from a regional perspective. The Southern cities that deal with similar levels of racial tension are those whose heydays have largely come and gone, e.g. Birmingham, Memphis, New Orleans, etc. The cities that more or less serve as Atlanta's competition from an economic standpoint--Houston, Dallas, Tampa, Nashville, Charlotte, Raleigh, etc.--don't experience nearly the same amount of dissonance.
Firstly Raleigh,Nashville,Tampa,Birmingham,Memphis and Charlotte are not Atlanta's "piers".
Secondly,let say they are for arguments sake.You are SOO way off.Tampa?
Charlotte is perhaps the only one that is perhaps about the same as Atlanta,maybe better depending on who's point of view.
Charlotte benefits because it has such a large area to cover.more than twice that of Atlanta.Areas that cover well into still rural areas that are overwhelmingly white due to history rather than suburbs becoming more wealthy due to economics in Atlanta.Meaning wealthy suburbs more than 45-60 min from the core.In Charlotte its much more common to face racism not seen in the metro Atlanta areas like Cumming by whites today as it was for it was in Cumming in the 80's Atlanta.

Raleigh is a college town with several colleges.What city with so many colleges per population has racial issues?

Charlotte,Nashville,Tampa ALL have equal or Majority white and controlled downtown.Thats why they are so heavily segregated.(Charlotte being the least).Charlotte has managed to annex so much so that its black population has dwindle to 35%.Thats a problem,but its ignored because less minorities around,less tension
Brush up on your history.ALL these cities have had a longstanding black political prescence accept Tampa and Nashville.Even so cities like Dallas and Houston dont have anywhere NEAR the black population of Atlanta.But they do have many more Hispanics.Look up that racial divide and history.Including that of blacks.
L.A. and its race riots,Miami also,and lets not forget NYC all in the last 35 years but Atlanta?When and where?Not since 1906.

Houston and Dallas have had issues not with just blacks alone but also their much larger Hispanic community.
http://http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/15/us/15houston.html?hp (broken link)

Now im not suggesting Dallas or Houston are hotbeds of racism any more or less than Atlanta(as you have stated otherwise),but NO where has it been talked about on a major level as an issue,nor do any facts or studies support that there just might be heavy racial tensions that make Atlanta stand out.All I here is straight up conjecture but nothing that gives credence to what you are saying.

You also are dividing this behavior by regional affiliations and race as if it makes a difference .It doesnt.Philly,NYC,Cleveland,D.C.,L.A. have issues and it does not matter if its the Deep South or Paciffic Coast.Its not pleasurable in any manner or location it manifest itself.

Lets just end this with this:All American cities have issues with race and it surfaces from time to time.However usually there is a pattern.
It shows up in many ways like:
Poverty rates
Moving/ relocation
Segrgation as seen here:
http://http://www.businessinsider.com/most-segregated-cities-in-america-2011-3#1-milwaukee-wisc-has-a-796-white-black-dissimilarity-score-22 (broken link)
Almost All the cities you mentioned are listed as being the most segragted cities in the U.S.22 top cities.Where is Atlanta?Because Atlanta is not nearly as segregated as those cities.Notice where Miami is.

Income equality disparity:Miami once again made the list of the most "unequal metros"
1. Bridgeport-Stamford-Norwalk, Conn.: The 13 Least Equal U.S. Cities - US News & World Report

Im definately not trying to say that what you say never happens but you are exaggerating with no proof to prove what you say.It just doesnt make sense.

Last edited by afonega1; 10-15-2011 at 05:51 AM..

Old 10-15-2011, 09:15 AM

815 posts, read 1,857,237 times
Hmmm... FWIW.

I am a big believer that you don't just get the city when you live in a place, it's also about the state (surroundings/gov policies/other cities in state) and where you can go to for quick drives.

Now on paper these places match up fairly well...

but in the REAL WORLD for me...

FL >>>>> GA ... And the areas around Miami, i.e. South&Central FL and the Keys >>>> Northern GA/Alabama/South Carolina...

Atlanta has some interesting amenities for sure, and several things I like better than Miami such as the microbrew scene, better transit, topography and a few museums, but, I just couldn't live there, I'd rather live in some lame suburban area, smaller house and be in South Florida than around Atlanta.

South Florida is far more socially liberal and diverse than anything going on in GA or the rest of the Southeast for that matter, to me it's a HUGE deal, for others not so much, but to each their own I suppose... just wanted to explain my reasoning. Atlanta is a non issue, but driving around Northern Ga, TN, SC, Northern Alabama has been complete culture shock to me. I couldn't see myself living there. West Palm, Tampa, Fort Lauderdale, St. Pete, Sarasota, Orlando, Key Largo, Key West... While certainly not my favorite style cities, I'll take them any day of the week over the region that Atlanta is in.

I also like being near a large body of water, whether that is Boston, Miami, SF or Chicago, just something about it. Atlanta is too landlocked for my taste, I'd start to feel claustrophobic after awhile, I've never lived more than about 20 miles from water, and would prefer to be less than a mile or two, so that's a deal breaker on that alone. Totally subjective but hey, it's what I like and how I relax, go enjoy walks on the beach, run, out on boat/ferry looking back at the city, etc. One of the few outdoor activities I care about.

Last edited by Garfieldian; 10-15-2011 at 09:50 AM..

Old 10-15-2011, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Firstly Raleigh,Nashville,Tampa,Birmingham,Memphis and Charlotte are not Atlanta's "piers".
Firstly, the term is "peers" and I never used that term. I said they were Atlanta's regional economic competitors. Big difference. And yes, Tampa is a regional economic competitor of Atlanta's. Did you happen to miss this latest one?

Quote:
Charlotte is perhaps the only one that is perhaps about the same as Atlanta,maybe better depending on who's point of view.
Charlotte benefits because it has such a large area to cover.more than twice that of Atlanta.Areas that cover well into still rural areas that are overwhelmingly white due to history rather than suburbs becoming more wealthy due to economics in Atlanta.Meaning wealthy suburbs more than 45-60 min from the core.In Charlotte its much more common to face racism not seen in the metro Atlanta areas like Cumming by whites today as it was for it was in Cumming in the 80's Atlanta.
I totally disagree with that last line. And I used to live in Charlotte, so I should know. And don't mistake what we're talking about here. I'm not talking about specific acts of racism, but an underlying regional racial tension.

Quote:
Charlotte,Nashville,Tampa ALL have equal or Majority white and controlled downtown.Thats why they are so heavily segregated.(Charlotte being the least).Charlotte has managed to annex so much so that its black population has dwindle to 35%.Thats a problem,but its ignored because less minorities around,less tension
Charlotte has not annexed to minimize its Black population, so that's not a "problem." It has annexed to enlarge its tax base and control future development. I'm not sure what you're referring to when you say "equal or Majority white and controlled downtown," but if by that you mean political leadership, then that's part of what I'm getting at.

Quote:
Brush up on your history.ALL these cities have had a longstanding black political prescence accept Tampa and Nashville.
None of those cities have had a successive string of Black mayors, police chiefs, fire chiefs, school superintendents, etc. since the 70's like Atlanta has. That's what I mean by "longstanding Black political leadership."

Quote:
Even so cities like Dallas and Houston dont have anywhere NEAR the black population of Atlanta.But they do have many more Hispanics.Look up that racial divide and history.Including that of blacks.
L.A. and its race riots,Miami also,and lets not forget NYC all in the last 35 years but Atlanta?When and where?Not since 1906.

Houston and Dallas have had issues not with just blacks alone but also their much larger Hispanic community.
I'm pretty sure Houston and Dallas have their issues with the Hispanic population, but again the dynamic is different because those cities don't have longstanding Hispanic political leadership or the cultural institutions that cater to Hispanics like Atlanta has that cater to Blacks.

Quote:
Now im not suggesting Dallas or Houston are hotbeds of racism any more or less than Atlanta(as you have stated otherwise),but NO where has it been talked about on a major level as an issue,nor do any facts or studies support that there just might be heavy racial tensions that make Atlanta stand out.All I here is straight up conjecture but nothing that gives credence to what you are saying.
Man, you have a problem with putting words in people's mouths. Where did I ever use the term "hotbed of racism"? And no, you can't quantify something like racial tension so it's you can't exactly "study" it, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. You can look at things like the race-related issues that came up in the last mayoral election. Look at how a lot of Whites and other non-Blacks pitch a fit whenever Atlanta is referred to as a Black mecca. Look at how residents of north Fulton County are wanting to re-incorporate Milton County. Race and class drive a good bit of the political debates in the Atlanta region in a way that's just different than in other areas. Even the crap that Atlanta gets from the state is, in part, race based. Most areas will get the typical racial stuff, but it's different in Atlanta because of so many Black faces in high places that doesn't sit well with a lot of people.

Old 10-15-2011, 01:10 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,332,358 times
Quote:

Raleigh is a college town with several colleges.What city with so many colleges per population has racial issues?

Brush up on your history.ALL these cities have had a longstanding black political prescence accept Tampa and Nashville.Even so cities like Dallas and Houston dont have anywhere NEAR the black population of Atlanta.But they do have many more Hispanics.Look up that racial divide and history.Including that of blacks.

You also are dividing this behavior by regional affiliations and race as if it makes a difference .It doesnt.Philly,NYC,Cleveland,D.C.,L.A. have issues and it does not matter if its the Deep South or Paciffic Coast.Its not pleasurable in any manner or location it manifest itself.

Lets just end this with this:All American cities have issues with race and it surfaces from time to time.However usually there is a pattern.
It shows up in many ways like:
Poverty rates
Moving/ relocation
Segrgation as seen here:
http://http://www.businessinsider.com/most-segregated-cities-in-america-2011-3#1-milwaukee-wisc-has-a-796-white-black-dissimilarity-score-22 (broken link)
Almost All the cities you mentioned are listed as being the most segragted cities in the U.S.22 top cities.Where is Atlanta?Because Atlanta is not nearly as segregated as those cities.Notice where Miami is.

Income equality disparity:Miami once again made the list of the most "unequal metros"
1. Bridgeport-Stamford-Norwalk, Conn.: The 13 Least Equal U.S. Cities - US News & World Report

Im definately not trying to say that what you say never happens but you are exaggerating with no proof to prove what you say.It just doesnt make sense.
Metro Atlanta has around 1.7 million blacks, correct? Well, Houston has recently passed the 1 million mark. Personally, I don't see that being as huge a difference as you're making it. It's fair to say that both cities have a lot of blacks.

Having lived in both, I've never noticed an unusual amount of racial tension in either. The most noticeable difference is that blacks are more "evenly" distributed across metro Houston than they are in Atlanta. And people of different races seemed more willing to live next to each other. You don't have that "south of I-20" stigma in Houston that exists in Atlanta, or Dallas for that matter.

As far as the Hispanic populations, much of that seems to come from natives' reactions to illegal immigrants. Hispanics do not have the historic or cultural foundation in Houston that blacks do.

Old 10-15-2011, 01:24 PM

815 posts, read 1,857,237 times
Atlanta is a lot blacker than Houston IMO, esp downtown. Go into Five Points for instance and it will be almost entirely black. Big difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City