Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you think is the best Superbowl host city?
New Orleans 40 17.78%
Miami 57 25.33%
Atlanta 10 4.44%
Jacksonville 3 1.33%
San Diego 35 15.56%
Dallas 31 13.78%
Houston 19 8.44%
Detroit 14 6.22%
Phoenix/Glendale 12 5.33%
Tampa 4 1.78%
Voters: 225. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 11:15 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,714,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Why the HECK would anyone want SNOW to decide a game for them? Why would I want to see the greatest athletes in the world to slip and fall all over the place, and drop passes? I never understood this "Man up, let's play in the snow and ice" mentality. I don't want SNOW and ICE to decide the game. Why play in the snow and ice? Is this hockey or football? A 20-10 game with 100 dropped passes isn't fun to watch.
Having played all sorts of sports in snowy conditions, it's not that hard to catch a ball when it's snowing. Winter games in New England, Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, all still have long pass plays and big scores. Not to mention that fields now are heated, making them less slippery. Sure there are some dropped passes and slips, but not enough to determine the outcome of a game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 11:20 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
I've played football in the snow and while at first it did affect me; you get use to it quick because you get deeply involved in the game.

Old 02-08-2011, 11:50 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,481,890 times
N.O. -> Unlimited cheap alcohol, venues, entertainment, tourist attractions, food, hotels, no last call in bars or clubs; all of this within walking distance of the stadium.

I think Miami is a good one too, but many people came back from last years Superbowl complaining about traffic to the stadium, the drive to South Beach, and not being able walk around openly with alcohol.

Old 02-08-2011, 11:59 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,894,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
N.O. -> Unlimited cheap alcohol, venues, entertainment, tourist attractions, food, hotels, no last call in bars or clubs; all of this within walking distance of the stadium.

I think Miami is a good one too, but many people came back from last years Superbowl complaining about traffic to the stadium, the drive to South Beach, and not being able walk around openly with alcohol.
See?

And Miami is considered one of the "perfect Super Bowl cities".

Like I said, sh*t happens and it's out of your control.

Old 02-08-2011, 12:02 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Well Miami has always gotten a pass because they have Miami Beach. That's a huge advantage over every city this time of the year including New Orleans. Keyword though which is pass. Because the stadium is 15 miles NORTH of the city of Miami and the city of Miami Beach. You will never hear about the traffic problems or the difficult drive to South Beach, or any other logistical problems of South Florida because the fans, the media, and the players love Miami.

Old 02-09-2011, 06:51 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
Having played all sorts of sports in snowy conditions, it's not that hard to catch a ball when it's snowing. Winter games in New England, Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, all still have long pass plays and big scores. Not to mention that fields now are heated, making them less slippery. Sure there are some dropped passes and slips, but not enough to determine the outcome of a game.
Exactly my point. The whole point in them creating technology like that, was because snowy and icey conditions weren't conducive to the game. I don't mind having to play in the snow if you've got no choice. My problem is people WANTING to see a snow game rather than a clear day.

Old 02-09-2011, 07:00 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
See?

And Miami is considered one of the "perfect Super Bowl cities".

Like I said, sh*t happens and it's out of your control.
Miami ain't perfect. No city is PERFECT when it comes to accommodating for thousands upon thousands of people pouring into your already packed tourism-filled city. But dang, Dallas just wrote the book on how to do a superbowl WRONG!!! That was terrible.

You can't compare Miami's horrible traffic, and "not being able to walk around with open alcohol" to people losing 400 seats, terrible snowing conditions(which is not as freakish of North Texas weather as people make it out to be, seems how it's been snowing across North Texas for the past couple of years), and doing all there shows in an outside studio in snowy Fort Worth. What happened in Dallas was a lot more than just s*** happens.

I think New Orleans might be the best city though, because unlike both Miami and Dallas, they actually play IN the city. Same with Houston, and San Diego. Not to mention that it never rains in Southern California, but it DOES rain in Miami(which made the last superbowl kinda weird).

Old 02-09-2011, 10:25 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,714,197 times
Quote:
Exactly my point. The whole point in them creating technology like that, was because snowy and icey conditions weren't conducive to the game. I don't mind having to play in the snow if you've got no choice. My problem is people WANTING to see a snow game rather than a clear day.
I don't know. Seeing as where the NFL started off location wise and time of the year games were played, I'd say snow is part of the factor. It's just that over the years, things have become so watered down and wussified. More money is made having a game in a warm weather area.

Old 02-09-2011, 02:04 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,894,516 times
Quote:
Miami ain't perfect. No city is PERFECT when it comes to accommodating for thousands upon thousands of people pouring into your already packed tourism-filled city. But dang, Dallas just wrote the book on how to do a superbowl WRONG!!! That was terrible.

You can't compare Miami's horrible traffic, and "not being able to walk around with open alcohol" to people losing 400 seats, terrible snowing conditions(which is not as freakish of North Texas weather as people make it out to be, seems how it's been snowing across North Texas for the past couple of years), and doing all there shows in an outside studio in snowy Fort Worth. What happened in Dallas was a lot more than just s*** happens.

I think New Orleans might be the best city though, because unlike both Miami and Dallas, they actually play IN the city. Same with Houston, and San Diego. Not to mention that it never rains in Southern California, but it DOES rain in Miami(which made the last superbowl kinda weird).
We never said it DOESN'T snow here. It's "freakish" beacuse when it does snow or ice up, it usually lasts a day or two. Not nearly an entire week, back to back weeks. And please, stop with the Tony! Toni! Tone! song. Didn't the Q flood just a few months back? Sure SoCal may not see monsoons, but they still have their issues, and those issues will come when that area gets the Super Bowl at some point, which btw wont be for a good while (The Q is old and L.A.'s stadium isn't built yet... in fact, there's a good chance San Diego may lose a team in that span).

Now I can't defend the lack of better transit for the fans and ass-job on the seating, but nature is just something you have to live with. I highly doubt the NFL NEVER comes back to the Metroplex, but I have a feeling the next time we do see it, things will be done a little differently....

P.S. I don't give a damn how snowy it was in Fort Worth and very sure the residents of our city didn't care either. For an entire week, WE were shown nearly 24/7 and we'll take it.

Old 02-09-2011, 10:35 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,983,112 times
Hansen Unplugged: A disastrous Super Bowl week

http://www.wfaa.com/sports/Hansen-Un...115532634.html (broken link)

"Much of the criticism for the bad weather isn't fair, but I do agree with those who say a Super Bowl should be played in warm weather cities only... and there's only about five of those in America."

EXACTLY my point I've been trying to get across this whole thread!!!

Those cities are San Diego, Phoenix, Houston, New Orleans, & Miami.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City