Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 10:30 AM

5,521 posts, read 8,773,454 times

Advertisements

I had the unfortunate opportunity to meet the author of that book, Mr. Grahm, some years back. He struck me as a whiny, narrow-minded, status-obsessed, jerk--the type of guy who sees nothing admirable about anyone, and especially anyone black, unless they are materialistic, money-grubbing prestige whores who can seperate themselves from "the little people." Based on past reading of some of his stuff, and meeting other people who know him, he has a record not so much of lauding financially successful African-Americans, which would be OK, or tracing a historical record, which would also be OK, but of sucking up to some way out-of-date image of elitism that even white folks don't much care about anymore.

From what I know, I'd skip this book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 10:57 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,801,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
I had the unfortunate opportunity to meet the author of that book, Mr. Grahm, some years back. He struck me as a whiny, narrow-minded, status-obsessed, jerk--the type of guy who sees nothing admirable about anyone, and especially anyone black, unless they are materialistic, money-grubbing prestige whores who can seperate themselves from "the little people." Based on past reading of some of his stuff, and meeting other people who know him, he has a record not so much of lauding financially successful African-Americans, which would be OK, or tracing a historical record, which would also be OK, but of sucking up to some way out-of-date image of elitism that even white folks don't much care about anymore.

Thats unfortunate to hear.His first book Member of the Club was very good.It was basically about him quitting his corporate job on Wall street where he felt he kept hitting a ceiling.So he went undercover and became a busboy at a very prestigious County Club and tells stories of how he was treated by blacks and whites that thought he was only a busboy..Is was much different from this book

Amazon.com: A Member of the Club: Reflections on Life in a Racially Polarized World (9780060984304): Lawrence Otis Graham: Books

Old 02-09-2011, 11:29 AM

8,486 posts, read 15,002,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
What are we discussing??? I'm not exactly understanding the OT. How we feel about wealthy Blacks???
Bougies. Well, the ones with old money.

Old 02-09-2011, 12:17 PM

639 posts, read 1,290,095 times
Dude looks like a fruity version of Mos Def.

Old 02-09-2011, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observation View Post
dude looks like a fruity version of mos def.
lmao!

Old 02-09-2011, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post

You know some people might say you are being harsh, and I hope I don't offend anyone with what I am about to say, but the qualities you just described can be said about a lot (not all or most) of the old money black people out there.

When I went to Morehouse, I encountered them and it was like meeting aliens from Mars in most cases. They were almost scared poopless at the thought of leaving campus and mingling among the common folk. Many got the best dorms on campus (In Forbes Hall where some of the rooms are bigger than my condo), wouldnt be caught dead on a train or bus, and magically got parking spots for their Range Rovers at the single lot on campus. Needless to say, many of us poor kids didn't like those cats very much. But not because of their privilege but because of the attitude you described of that dude that some of them had. Some of them really walked around like they owned the world and like they pooped flowers.

Glad I didn't have to deal with any of them post college.

Old 02-09-2011, 12:41 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,319,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
You know some people might say you are being harsh, and I hope I don't offend anyone with what I am about to say, but the qualities you just described can be said about a lot (not all or most) of the old money black people out there.

When I went to Morehouse, I encountered them and it was like meeting aliens from Mars in most cases. They were almost scared poopless at the thought of leaving campus and mingling among the common folk. Many got the best dorms on campus (In Forbes Hall where some of the rooms are bigger than my condo), wouldnt be caught dead on a train or bus, and magically got parking spots for their Range Rovers at the single lot on campus. Needless to say, many of us poor kids didn't like those cats very much.
Rich people unite, no matter the color in this case. Blacks who have never lived in lower income areas, like most blacks, don't mingle well with the rougher blacks from low income neighborhoods. Nothing different than old money white people.

Old 02-09-2011, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Rich people unite, no matter the color in this case. Blacks who have never lived in lower income areas, like most blacks, don't mingle well with the rougher blacks from low income neighborhoods. Nothing different than old money white people.
Not exactly.

I grew up in a low income neighborhood in Atlanta and my parents grew up in a low income neighborhood in New York City. There isn't anything "rough" about us, and certainly not with the type of men that Morehouse recruits.

Likewise, I have TONS of friends from college who came from upper middle class and wealth familes and neighborhoods who are good life long friends.

But many old money Bougies...they are in a separate demographic all their own. Many of them seem themselves as being "above" everyone else that isn't exactly like them. That has more to do with their specific subculture than money.

Old 02-09-2011, 01:10 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,319,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Not exactly.

I grew up in a low income neighborhood in Atlanta and my parents grew up in a low income neighborhood in New York City. There isn't anything "rough" about us, and certainly not with the type of men that Morehouse recruits.

Likewise, I have TONS of friends from college who came from upper middle class and wealth familes and neighborhoods who are good life long friends.

But many old money Bougies...they are in a separate demographic all their own. Many of them seem themselves as being "above" everyone else that isn't exactly like them. That has more to do with their specific subculture than money.
You may not be rough, many kids are. Money is what puts them up there.

Old 02-09-2011, 01:36 PM

711 posts, read 1,144,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Observation View Post
Dude looks like a fruity version of Mos Def.
LoL!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City