Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 10:00 PM

1 posts, read 2,042 times

Advertisements

african americans especially young african americans" need to know that their was a time when we obtained wealth and prominence through intellect and hard work instead of shooting hoops, throwing a foot ball, or gangsta rap we have our share of old families & the world need to know this!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2011, 09:44 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,805,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmoneydude9 View Post
african americans especially young african americans" need to know that their was a time when we obtained wealth and prominence through intellect and hard work instead of shooting hoops, throwing a foot ball, or gangsta rap we have our share of old families & the world need to know this!
I could not have said it better.Its funny how this post has so little comments from either black or white.Yet let this be about something negative regarding, crime in the black community, racism,drugs dumb celebrities in trouble with the law or athletes playing football,or the first black president's poll numbers and it just goes on forever and forever.It has to get closed it goes on so much.Instead we have people acting like we should be ashamed of these early successful African Americans

Old 10-20-2011, 08:28 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,329,664 times
It's not like we don't know it. Everyone wants to play pro sports and be a music artist, we're just better at it. (JK)

Old 10-20-2011, 08:40 AM

93,412 posts, read 124,084,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I could not have said it better.Its funny how this post has so little comments from either black or white.Yet let this be about something negative regarding, crime in the black community, racism,drugs dumb celebrities in trouble with the law or athletes playing football,or the first black president's poll numbers and it just goes on forever and forever.It has to get closed it goes on so much.Instead we have people acting like we should be ashamed of these early successful African Americans
Who are these people? Great point, Annie. Socialization has a lot to do with why entertainment and sports is seen as an avenue. Hence, the need for exposure not only to younger Black folks, but to the world. I really sometimes think we got so caught up in getting things without getting understanding and awareness of issues and needs of the community.

Old 10-20-2011, 09:44 AM

93,412 posts, read 124,084,833 times
By the way, Boston's Beacon Hill was once had an enclave of middle to upper middle class Black folks on the west side of the hill. I believe that Philadelphia has an old money Black community.

Old 10-21-2011, 12:25 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,805,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Who are these people? Great point, Annie. Socialization has a lot to do with why entertainment and sports is seen as an avenue. Hence, the need for exposure not only to younger Black folks, but to the world. I really sometimes think we got so caught up in getting things without getting understanding and awareness of issues and needs of the community.
I mean the earlyAfrican Americans who were financially susecceful in some cities even though for the times,it was are.In Atlanta I mean people like:John Wesley Dobbs,The Yancy and Scott Families,Alonzo Herndon(the first black millionaire in Atlanta etc......

Old 10-21-2011, 09:34 AM

4,775 posts, read 8,845,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Observation View Post
Dude looks like a fruity version of Mos Def.
Grow up... That brother packing more paper than you...You probably a fruit cake yourself... (Some) Blacks folks are the most backwards ass folks when it comes to sexuality...Why are you concerned about how he looks ? Besides the topic wasn't even concerning that brothers appearance.....

Old 10-21-2011, 09:48 AM

32,113 posts, read 34,747,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Here is a review from the book off Amazon.This readers echo pretty much my sentiments:

Amazon.com: Our Kind of People: Inside America's Black Upper Class (9780060984380): Lawrence Otis Graham: Books
The only thing worse than LOG's books are Stephen Carter's books. Carter is a professor at Yale Law School and authored "The Emperor of Ocean Park." He spends the first 1/3 of the book describing the glorious credentials of the novel's protagonists. His descriptions are utterly disgusting. They read like this:

Kimmer was one of the newest Partners at Covington & Burling. She thought that the senior partners would have held her impractical experience on the Harvard Law Review against her, but it appeared they had a change of heart. Kimmer had gone straight to Harvard from Princeton, where she met Thomas, her future husband, whose family was one of the oldest black families in New England. They had known each other through excursions to Oak Bluffs on the Vineyard when Thomas was at Exeter and Kimmer was at Andover, but it was not until Princeton that their love was ignited. Thomas had recently taken a seat on the federal bench. Kimmer endured the grueling Senate nomination process, the dinners with Congressmen and heads of state, and Thomas' sordid affairs. Through all of this, Kimmer felt that she had missed out on many of the richest experiences of life. But it was too late to think about that. Kimmer and Thomas were expecting and had just moved into 1616 Kalmia Street, a dashing residence that sat perched atop a hill just off of 16th Street in Upper Northwest DC. They chose this neighborhood for its safety, and more importanly, to keep their children away from the "Darker Nation" that lay to the east of 16th Street.

No bull. That's almost exactly how it reads. I had to put it down.

http://www.amazon.com/Emperor-Ocean-...9212197&sr=8-1

Last edited by BajanYankee; 10-21-2011 at 10:05 AM..

Old 10-21-2011, 10:29 AM

4,775 posts, read 8,845,243 times
Franklin Frazier book Black Bourgeoisie is one of my personal favorite books with regards to early black wealth. Many of these upper class blacks pretty much copied or imitated white elites. They weren't necessarily accepted as equals by their wealthier white counterparts, but didn't quite fit into black society norms of the time period. Sort of reminds me of the present state of my life. Do I assimilate into social norms? Or retain my individualistic mind frame? I think the second option is best for me. I tend to possess an internal locust. So I tend to identify with self-more than fitting in with the status quo.

Old 10-21-2011, 11:03 AM

672 posts, read 1,790,080 times
It's appalling what's going on with Black wealth in America.

Whereas, since 1983, White median wealth has gone up or remained fairly constant, Black
median wealth has declined by nearly two-thirds. And this is AFTER Blacks had barely nothing to begin with compared to Whites. There was a destruction of Black wealth during the Reagan/Bush years, a recovery during Clinton, followed by another destruction during Bush 2.

Is it institutionalized racism, or something more sinister?

For all the "bling", "black money", Rozay, and "black card" images that the media portrays, the facts tell us that reality is nothing of the sort, and is far more disturbing. Whatever gains were made through the civil rights movement seem to be squandered because something is still not right.

http://blog.aflcio.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/snaphot-median_wealth_black-whites.png (broken link)
Report: Black Wealth Has Nearly Disappeared | AFL-CIO NOW BLOG
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City