Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has the better urban city lifestyle?
Atlanta 85 48.02%
Portland 92 51.98%
Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 06:09 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times

Advertisements

Atlanta all the way. Much more to do, much more to see, much more diverse. It feels more urban to me. I am not too fond of Portland's so called smart growth. Would probably work better in Russia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 06:22 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,524,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I am not too fond of Portland's so called smart growth. Would probably work better in Russia
Nah, it's actually pretty nice being able to access the woods and countryside about 15-20 minutes north of downtown and having farmland preserved on the outskirts of the city rather than having to drive through 1-2 hours of generic suburbs to get anywhere.

Don't get me wrong, I like Atlanta--and as both cities are attractive to people for very different reasons this is sort of a weird comparison.

Last edited by Deezus; 10-12-2011 at 06:45 PM..

Old 10-12-2011, 08:52 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Nah, it's actually pretty nice being able to access the woods and countryside about 15-20 minutes north of downtown and having farmland preserved on the outskirts of the city rather than having to drive through 1-2 hours of generic suburbs to get anywhere.

Don't get me wrong, I like Atlanta--and as both cities are attractive to people for very different reasons this is sort of a weird comparison.
I agree that it is an odd match up, but still don't like the development style

Old 10-14-2011, 07:48 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,438,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post

Actually, Atlanta feels like it's in a forest, there are so many trees everywhere. Many of the expressways through town feel like you're driving in the woods rather than through a major city because they are lined on both sides by huge trees.

And yes you do have to drive a long way from Atlanta to find farmland but that is because the Atlanta area never had many farms to begin with. This is because the soil in the area is very rocky and poor for farming in. About 100 miles South of Atlanta in Middle Georgia, however, there are farms for days.

Stone Mountain Park, and several Mountains, etc. to the North give you access to nature. I always have the feeling that I'm only minutes away from nature anywhere in Georgia anyway.

Old 10-14-2011, 08:47 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Atlanta all the way. Much more to do, much more to see, much more diverse. It feels more urban to me. I am not too fond of Portland's so called smart growth. Would probably work better in Russia

Old 07-28-2015, 10:23 PM

9,681 posts, read 9,398,464 times
Atlanta is more urban, and has more stuff to do.

Old 07-29-2015, 09:00 AM

676 posts, read 961,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Oh, that's just a name. Despite the metropolitan part, MARTA only serves the city of Atlanta and the inner suburbs. It covers about a 300 square area or so.
Sure, but people from elsewhere in the metro still use the system. Don't people drive to the terminal stations and take the trains from there? What about the much larger numbers of suburban families coming into the city on a Saturday or after work for a sporting event? Being part of a much larger metro is definitely a big contributing factor here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post

Percentage of adults who do not own a car in Portland: 14.02%
Percentage of adults who do not own a car in Atlanta: 19.58%
Maybe people are poorer in Atlanta and can't afford cars? Maybe Atlanta has a higher unemployment rate, so those people don't have anywhere to go? Not saying this is true, just speculating. It's not as black and white as you're making it seem to be.

For what it's worth, Portland has a better Transit Score than Atlanta (50 vs 43).

Old 07-29-2015, 09:04 AM

6,610 posts, read 9,036,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARrocket View Post
Sure, but people from elsewhere in the metro still use the system. Don't people drive to the terminal stations and take the trains from there? What about the much larger numbers of suburban families coming into the city on a Saturday or after work for a sporting event? Being part of a much larger metro is definitely a big contributing factor here.

Maybe people are poorer in Atlanta and can't afford cars? Maybe Atlanta has a higher unemployment rate, so those people don't have anywhere to go? Not saying this is true, just speculating. It's not as black and white as you're making it seem to be.

For what it's worth, Portland has a better Transit Score than Atlanta (50 vs 43).
I think you're grasping at straws here...none of this is actually true, although some people do park and ride MARTA it isn't the vast majority. Portland may have a better transit score due to more positive views of transit in that city, but MARTA is larger and has almost double the ridership numbers.

Old 07-29-2015, 09:37 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,789,738 times
Atlanta is larger and has heavy rail, but in no way is it more urban than Portland as a whole.

Old 07-29-2015, 09:48 AM

6,610 posts, read 9,036,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
Atlanta is larger and has heavy rail, but in no way is it more urban than Portland as a whole.
I think it would be fairly even if you just consider the city limits (Atlanta 132 sq.mi. Portland 133 sq.mi.). The Atlanta metro area is too large to compare to Portland, but the cities themselves seem to be a very good matchup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City