Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has the better urban city lifestyle?
Atlanta 85 48.02%
Portland 92 51.98%
Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2016, 03:16 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,419,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverJD View Post
In 2011 Portland, Now Probably Atlanta.
I disagree, I think it's still Portland; the building density, walkability, cohesive neighborhoods, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2016, 03:42 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,519,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
Portland because of it's walkability and zoning laws......the latter help to keep sprawl in check.
......and makes housing less affordable for most people. It's a two-edged sword.

Old 10-08-2016, 03:43 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
I think it's still Portland now. Atlanta's made a lot of improvements in the five years since this topic was made, but Portland has as well. In that five year time period, Portland has added slightly more people to its very comparable city limits as Atlanta has and Portland's added housing is mostly in terms of dense transit oriented development.

In regards to mass transit, Portland's completed its second streetcar line since then while Atlanta has also added one (its first). Portland also opened up a new light rail line that added 7.3 miles in track with ten new stations which does a lot in making its light rail network much more comprehensive (not exactly relevant, but this expansion also came in under budget and opened early which is crazy for a US transit project).

Meanwhile, a lot of the other categories the OP listed were in Portland's favor in 2011 probably still are. I think maybe Atlanta in 2016 is much closer to Portland in 2011 than Atlanta in 2011 was, but Portland in 2016 versus Atlanta in 2016 still favors Portland overall in the categories the OP listed.

Also, someone mentioned an Atlanta versus Inner Loop Houston thread. That would be interesting!

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 10-08-2016 at 03:53 PM..

Old 10-08-2016, 04:04 PM

35,075 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Atlanta probably has a lot more job options.

Old 10-08-2016, 08:14 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,036,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I think it's still Portland now. Atlanta's made a lot of improvements in the five years since this topic was made, but Portland has as well. In that five year time period, Portland has added slightly more people to its very comparable city limits as Atlanta has and Portland's added housing is mostly in terms of dense transit oriented development.

In regards to mass transit, Portland's completed its second streetcar line since then while Atlanta has also added one (its first). Portland also opened up a new light rail line that added 7.3 miles in track with ten new stations which does a lot in making its light rail network much more comprehensive (not exactly relevant, but this expansion also came in under budget and opened early which is crazy for a US transit project).

Meanwhile, a lot of the other categories the OP listed were in Portland's favor in 2011 probably still are. I think maybe Atlanta in 2016 is much closer to Portland in 2011 than Atlanta in 2011 was, but Portland in 2016 versus Atlanta in 2016 still favors Portland overall in the categories the OP listed.

Also, someone mentioned an Atlanta versus Inner Loop Houston thread. That would be interesting!
I think you have posted a very Portland-oriented opinion (I know I did the same earlier because I don't know a lot about Portland) without much real information about the massive growth of multi-family housing in Atlanta. You seem to give Portland a lot of credit in some of the categories where Atlanta has excelled. I recently saw an article that placed Atlanta as one of the top growth cities for multi-family and the TOD oriented growth has really boomed as well. Residential growth in the city-limits has mostly focused on multi-family and much of it is in the form of high and mid rise. The infill occurring in the city is amazing, and compared to Portland it had a lot more room for improvement.

It's hard to compare two cities when you know a lot about one and very little about the other, but I know that Portland started out at a higher point than Atlanta, but I am very confident that Atlanta has hit a boom of such proportion that it should have caught up with Portland in building density and urbanity. I guess we should both probably learn more about the other city in order to make a more valid assessment.

Old 10-09-2016, 11:36 AM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,419,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
I am very confident that Atlanta has hit a boom of such proportion that it should have caught up with Portland in building density and urbanity. I guess we should both probably learn more about the other city in order to make a more valid assessment.
Atlanta has made improvements, but I don't think it's quite there yet.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Po...4d-122.6764816

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7711.../data=!3m1!1e3

Old 10-09-2016, 11:51 AM

8,864 posts, read 6,869,333 times
Atlanta is building density on a larger scale, but with way more parking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City