Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 07:52 PM

818 posts, read 1,388,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
No its not.
Harsh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 08:12 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous Past View Post
Harsh
Well I didn't really bash anyone or any place though, don't see how what I said about Dallas having high poverty is harsh.

I mean, I am going to defend my hometown when people bash it though, especially when information is wrong at least.

Chicago being isolated?
- It's the most inter-connected flight destination in America (because its nearly centrally located), its got one of the best travel times to nearly any city in the country. Not a far drive away from other cities either.

Chicago segregated? Okay, yes it is segregated no doubt about that and probably a bit more so than some of the Northeastern cities, but Detroit, New York, Philadelphia, Washington DC, & Boston are pretty segregated also.

You can see for yourself here: Mapping America ? Census Bureau 2005-9 American Community Survey - NYTimes.com
None of these cities in the Northeast & Midwest are in the South & West to say they're as integrated.

Chicago is cold? Everything in the Frostbelt is cold first of all, haha. And there isn't much of a difference between Chicago and Philadelphia in this regard either.

Chicago:

Philadelphia:

There really isn't much difference between Chicago's issues and the issues of any of the other major cities in the country, all deal with poverty, all deal with crime (besides New York, not as much), all deal with weather (besides Los Angeles), all deal with the same issues kind of.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:23 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Meh. The January high is 9° higher in Philadelphia and the low is 10° warmer. That's a very noticeable difference not a completely different climate, but a much less painful winter. December and February also have a big difference. The majority of Philly's winter precipitation is rain, while in Chicago it is snow. The record winter lows are also quite a bit colder in Chicago, and Chicago probably has a month shorter growing season.

I never thought of Philly as "frostbelt". Of course, if you're from LA or Houston, they both would seem cold.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:30 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times
It appears that Chicago is more prone to temperature extremes than Philadelphia.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:06 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
But it's not just Chicago residents not participating in the Census. Apparently, Chicago has lost a lot of the working/middle class residents. Yeah, there are a lot of shiny new highrises, but that doesn't mean the city is growing. There is also a huge Black flight out of Chicago. And Chicago demolished a lot of housing projects. Families replaced by singles and couples.
Where'd you see that? The papers here looked at the gains/losses by census areas, and the poorest areas of the city were the ones responsible for most of the population loss. It was basically a lopsided result, with huge loses on the west/south sides, and stability along the northwest/southwest sides, and growth in the central and northern areas. I think the teardown of the projects and flinging out 50,000 or so people has really had an effect. Many of those people from the projects went to secion 8 housing on the west/south sides, which destabilized many of those areas and prompted a lot of the blacks in those areas to move out to other areas across the city limits. That might help explain why the black population dropped by 165,000 people, yet the white/hispanic/asian population basically held steady.

Very surprising to see the black population drop by 17%. Of course....as everyone has been stating (mostly those who worked for the census), there was a HUGE miscount in many areas of the city - the areas with the worst turnouts were south and west side neighborhoods. There was one census capitan who said his group had to give up on hundreds of housing units because the people just refused to even take the 2-3 minute survey.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:06 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,187,810 times
Who wants cold rain in the winter? Is this PREFERRED over snow by most people? If it's going to be cold, let it snow I say!

Old 02-17-2011, 10:15 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Where'd you see that? The papers here looked at the gains/losses by census areas, and the poorest areas of the city were the ones responsible for most of the population loss. It was basically a lopsided result, with huge loses on the west/south sides, and stability along the northwest/southwest sides, and growth in the central and northern areas. I think the teardown of the projects and flinging out 50,000 or so people has really had an effect. Many of those people from the projects went to secion 8 housing on the west/south sides, which destabilized many of those areas and prompted a lot of the blacks in those areas to move out to other areas across the city limits. That might help explain why the black population dropped by 165,000 people, yet the white/hispanic/asian population basically held steady.

Very surprising to see the black population drop by 17%. Of course....as everyone has been stating (mostly those who worked for the census), there was a HUGE miscount in many areas of the city - the areas with the worst turnouts were south and west side neighborhoods. There was one census capitan who said his group had to give up on hundreds of housing units because the people just refused to even take the 2-3 minute survey.
Do you have links to the papers, or a neighborhood breakdown of population growth? I'm curious.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:37 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,533,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Who wants cold rain in the winter? Is this PREFERRED over snow by most people? If it's going to be cold, let it snow I say!
Besides, many mistakenly believe that Chicago gets hammered by snow every winter. It's the other side of the lake (Porter, LaPorte and St. Joseph counties in IN; and SW Michigan) that really get pounded by the snow. Chicago's average cumulative snowfall is pretty tolerable, IMO, and I'd bet Philly has received more snow this year.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:55 AM

4,027 posts, read 7,288,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Do you have links to the papers, or a neighborhood breakdown of population growth? I'm curious.
I don't think that they have specific numbers out yet but I could be wrong.

The borders in this map don't necessarily fit with those recognized by Chicago.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/media/graphic/2011-02/59464558.jpg (broken link)

Old 02-17-2011, 10:56 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,755,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
I agree. I'm not going to bash anything here because I legitimately think Philadelphia is a pretty cool city but someone from there complaining about the cold, poverty, crime, & segregation in Chicago?

By poverty rate Chicago, Philadelphia, Los Angeles, Houston, & Miami are really all comparable. None of them can brag about that, because they all need to work on getting it lower than what it already is. None can say to another that poverty doesn't exist where they are.

Poverty Rate:
- Detroit, 33.3% in poverty
- Cleveland, 30.5% in poverty
- Buffalo, 30.3% in poverty
- Newark, 26.1% in poverty
- Miami, 25.6% in poverty
- Fresno, 25.5% in poverty
- Cincinnati, 25.1% in poverty
- Toledo, 24.7% in poverty
- El Paso, 24.3% in poverty
- Philadelphia, 24.1% in poverty
- Milwaukee, 23.4% in poverty
- Memphis, 23.1% in poverty
- St. Louis, 22.9% in poverty
- Dallas, 22.6% in poverty
- New Orleans, 22.6% in poverty
- Atlanta, 22.4% in poverty
- Stockton, Calif., 21.6% in poverty
- Minneapolis, 21.3% in poverty
- Pittsburgh, 21.2% in poverty
- Tucson, 20.9% in poverty
- Chicago, 20.6% in poverty
- Columbus, Ohio, 20.1% in poverty
- Long Beach, Calif., 19.8% in poverty
- Houston, 19.5% in poverty
- Los Angeles, 19.4% in poverty

Here are the homicides and rates for 2010:

In terms of segregation, Chicago is segregated and calling it out is rightfully so but so are New York, Detroit, Philadelphia, Washington DC, & basically everything else in the Northeast & Midwest. They're all comparable in terms of segregation.

I'm not going to rag on any city here, but its kind of contradictory to say Chicago has all these problems (which it does) and try to make it seem like other cities don't when the reality of it all is, Detroit, Washington DC, Atlanta, Houston, Los Angeles, & Philadelphia have all these problems also. (Los Angeles & Houston minus the cold part).
Keep in mind that alot of these cities are much older than Western cities and have minority neighborhoods that can go back two or even three hundred years. There are plenty of very nice minority neighborhoods here in NYC where I would not be welcome due to my socio-economic status.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City